TSA and Fracs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
NJAOwner,

Don't worry, it's not a big thing. My pax were checked with the geiger counter a couple days ago in Oakland. Basically, we arrive at the airport. Customs guy does the usual stuff you expect with the paperwork, passports, etc...

Then, while our pax deplaned, we pulled their bags from the plane. Just before we loaded the bags into the pax car, he waved the geiger counter over the bags. It took less than 20 seconds. Pax were on their way.

He then checked our aircraft with the geiger counter. Only took him 3 minutes to accomplish this.

In other words, basically no delays to the pax, and minimal for us. Very easy and straightforward.

Unless, of course, you're bringing enriched uranium into the country!:eek:

Well, I have painstakingly searched the 49 CFR for the regulation covering uniformed crew members, and have turned up nothing. I don't know where this issue comes up in law (any help?), but if it comes down to the definition of a ucm, then that will be left to the Courts. If anyone is willing to get themselves arrested in order to have the Court define the term, then (to loosely quote T. O.) I'll grab a bucket of popcorn and watch the fight. Until then, we're under the thumb of the untrained, embroidered badge, HS educated (usually), TSA workers.

I usually carry a bottle of water in my carry on bag, with no problem. But this morning at CMH, the TSA guy saw the bottle of water, gave a dirty look, and took it out without a word being said. You could tell he was pissed at me.

This is the only airport that has taken my water.

Bet they don't do that at RDU!:laugh:

CMH and HPN are the only place they give trouble. Other than that dont give them the chance to give troublle just show your ID they dont know any difference, I have never been asked otherwise

You can add BTV to that list. Unfortunately found that out this tour.

USA Today reported last week that the TSA inspectors have 4 times the turn over rate then any other Government job.

I just see them as glorifed grocery clerks.

NJAOwner,

Don't worry, it's not a big thing. My pax were checked with the geiger counter a couple days ago in Oakland. Basically, we arrive at the airport. Customs guy does the usual stuff you expect with the paperwork, passports, etc...

Then, while our pax deplaned, we pulled their bags from the plane. Just before we loaded the bags into the pax car, he waved the geiger counter over the bags. It took less than 20 seconds. Pax were on their way.

He then checked our aircraft with the geiger counter. Only took him 3 minutes to accomplish this.

In other words, basically no delays to the pax, and minimal for us. Very easy and straightforward.

Unless, of course, you're bringing enriched uranium into the country!:eek:

We cleared at HPN last week in a G-550. "SHUT THE AIRPLANE DOWN TO DARK COCKPIT." Then he swept the airplane and pax with his hand-held scanner. Fortunately, it was daylight so our folks didn't have to sit in a totally dark airplane although it did start to get cold fairly quickly. Did I mention that firing up the 550 from a dark airplane to moving takes a minimum of 20 minutes? This is just one of the many STOOOPID ideas coming out of Homeland Security that does NOTHING to improve national security but just makes the life of the travelling public a little more inconvenient.

I know you frac boys and girls associate the never ending ineptitude of the tsa with job security but it is just a matter of time where a pt91 or pt 135 aircraft is involved in some sort incident that will fast track the introduction of tsa screening checkpoints for GA.. It is just a matter of time and nobody is going to be exempt.

I can just imagine the tsa monkey trying to toss Mr Weinburgs $1500 bottle of single malt in the trash

I know you frac boys and girls associate the never ending ineptitude of the tsa with job security but it is just a matter of time where a pt91 or pt 135 aircraft is involved in some sort incident that will fast track the introduction of tsa screening checkpoints for GA.. It is just a matter of time and nobody is going to be exempt.

I can just imagine the tsa monkey trying to toss Mr Weinburgs $1500 bottle of single malt in the trash

You have to realize that the people that make these silly laws, they fly on private jets.

This is just one of the many STOOOPID ideas coming out of Homeland Security that does NOTHING to improve national security but just makes the life of the travelling public a little more inconvenient.

Sorry, but I think that it is high time they started doing radiological scanning. Granted, the airplane probably does not need to be dark though.

I've only had trouble at HPN and PBI (only one time there). Other places, I've been a selectee and had them look at my leftover waters and cokes and put them back in the bag with no comment.

Latest resources

Back