TSA and Fracs

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

OrionCFI

Anybody have any hard evidence that uniformed crew members are except from the normal liquid quota while traveling to and from work? I used to have a copy from the TSA that stated the fact. Had a bad experience the other day and would like some ammunition in my corner that Frac pilots are, in fact, uniformed crew members.

I got worked over pretty good in CMH last week. Took everything I had and ran my laptop 3 times because the claimed it tested positive for explosive residue. I had never been treated more like a criminal before. All they really accomplished was protecting the traveling public from the greatest threat to commercial aviation: other pilots. Well done TSA. Keep up the fine work.

We are NOT "uniformed crew members" as recognized by TSA. Most of the time we get by but we are just normal passengers in their eyes. Learn to live with it and move on.

At Netjets we have been told numerous times by the company that we are not supposed to be given any special treatment at the checkpoints. We are just pax.

For the most part, the screeners are pretty good about treating us like a normal crew member, but of course some airports are worse than others (CMH, HPN, etc). I think CMH TSA even has a letter from Netjets telling them that we are to be treated like an everyday pax.

I have heard of guys pulling out a copy of an air carrier certificate (or something similar) in order to try and get the TSA to go easy on them, but I don't know if it gets them anywhere. Me, I just grin and bear it.

Job security. Job security. Job security.

I usually carry a bottle of water in my carry on bag, with no problem. But this morning at CMH, the TSA guy saw the bottle of water, gave a dirty look, and took it out without a word being said. You could tell he was pissed at me.

This is the only airport that has taken my water.

Let the little man feel like he's done a stellar job by taking away some water from a pilot. Remember, he has to wear that silly uniform shirt with the EMBROIDERED "badge" on it every day at work.

Last edited:
Flex changed our ID's to also have the 135 certificate holder's name on them. We were told that because we are 135 compliant we are exempt like all other 135/121 pilots. I have never had a problem. Whenever I am asked, I am a "deadheading crew member". I have a clear conscience and a bottle of water.

CMH and HPN are the only place they give trouble. Other than that dont give them the chance to give troublle just show your ID they dont know any difference, I have never been asked otherwise

Radio Isoptopes

What about this new radio isoptope testing for all NJA international flights and NJA in bound international passengers?

Thanks.

Latest resources

Back