Truth behind Colgan leaving US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

SiouxHockeyFan

Keep hearing the rumors from PDT buddies about Colgan and other Us Airways contract carriers flying turbo props. Supposedly they will be all gone by 06. Truth from the Colgan people? TSA J41 people? Air Midwest 1900 people? Anyone know any truths? Will Piedmont be the only turbo prop operator for scare ways?

Suppose its possible.

I guess it is possible, but I wouldn't think it would happen.
1. Colgan, Air Midwest etc fly the 1900 on the EAS contracts. I guess US Air would have to give them up.

2. Didn't AWA use Mesa for their turboprop stuff out west? Seems like Doug Parker likes the lowest bidder type stuff.

3. I would question why USAIR/AWA would trade a 34 pax airplane(SF-340B) for an airplane that is usually weight restricted to 30 to 32 pax (Dash). That is just from my experience.

I believe the Mesa contracts out west were signed before Parker's tenure at AWA. Also the -200 is not as weight critical. The J-41's are either already gone or nearly so.

All the TSA guys flying the J41 for USAir will be displaced in Dec.

This rumor has been coming up every year since Colgan started doing the codeshare.

Corresponding rumor is that Colgan will be getting jets.

1900's at CMH

Who flies 1900's into and out of CMH? I thinks it's either Colgan or Commutair.

727PAA said:
I guess it is possible, but I wouldn't think it would happen.
1. Colgan, Air Midwest etc fly the 1900 on the EAS contracts. I guess US Air would have to give them up.

2. Didn't AWA use Mesa for their turboprop stuff out west? Seems like Doug Parker likes the lowest bidder type stuff.

3. I would question why USAIR/AWA would trade a 34 pax airplane(SF-340B) for an airplane that is usually weight restricted to 30 to 32 pax (Dash). That is just from my experience.

Ummm... Not quite accurate. In my nearly six years of flying Dash 8's, I have never seen any that was restricted to 30 to 32 pax (unless it is something REALLY weird like the autofeather MEL'd). 34 or 35 maybe on a -100 with a distant alternate, but not lower than that. Seems like I take allot of bags that Colgen SAABs leave behind, as a matter of fact. Nothing against Colgen or the SAAB, but lets be correct in our thinking.

As far as Colgen leaving U, I haven't heard that rumor, aside from sime pie in the sky wishful thinking on the part of some Piedmont folks.

I've flown the dash for 4 years now and have never seen a 32 pax restriction unless for some MEL (performance) limit.or a day when you use 3585.. The 100 is usually restricted to 34 0r 35 depending on the fuel requirements.the 300 is 50pax 83 bags.. and the 200 depending on the leg length you can usually fill er up..

Haven't heard the Colgan rumor but did hear that TSA turboprops will be out of the system soon..That's from the new Airways management

Last edited:
I was perplexed about the weight restriction myself, but, I have been carrying alot of extra bags out of LGA, and the gate agents tell me it is because of the D-8 weight restrictions. This is on the same day where I am carrying 34 pax and 40 checked. I am not trying to put down anyones airplane or company, I am just reporting what they are telling me. I did hear about the J41's though.

Perhaps the restriction is only at 32 depending on the jumpseater

Last edited:
I think that this is where it is coming from, copied from the us air web site, it is still on there if you want to see for yourself, its the PR when they announced the merger.

Fleet/Route System
US Airways/US Airways Express currently serves 179 cities and America West/America West Express serves 96 cities. When merged, the combined airline will become the nation’s fifth largest airline, as measured by domestic Available Seat Miles (ASMs). The combined airline is expected to operate a mainline fleet of 361 planes (supported by 239 regional jets and 57 turboprops for feed into the mainline system), down from a total of 419 mainline aircraft operated by both airlines at the beginning of 2005.

I think that PDT has 57 dashes.. doesnt say who is going to fly what, but people maybe reading through the lines.

BL

Latest resources

Back