• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Truth behind Colgan leaving US Airways

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
sync8 is right. The new US Airways management said that Mesa and TSA would be out. He didn't give at time frame. Nothing was said about Colgan.

Hey Beaver, ever been to the store? They've got some great t-shirts! Too bad their stickers wouldnt be appropriate on flight bags

Hello,
I've not heard any rumors about Colgan leaving the USAirways Express system. However, it remains to be seen if the AWA/US merger will have an impact on the future of contract carriers. Colgan has a good relationship with USAirways contrary to what some will say here. Primarily, because of Colgan's ability to underbid most of the competition. In fact, Colgan is THE only carrier in the turboprop niche. Couple this with a non-union workforce and it is easy to see why Continental and UAL have contracted Colgan over the past year.
In the current economic climate airlines will be looking to further reduce costs. The 50-seat turboprop may indeed see a renissance for the 300NM or less segments. This places Colgan in a good strategic position to take advantage of the market share that no other airline is either willing or able economically to compete.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Kaman said:
Hello,
I've not heard any rumors about Colgan leaving the USAirways Express system. However, it remains to be seen if the AWA/US merger will have an impact on the future of contract carriers. Colgan has a good relationship with USAirways contrary to what some will say here. Primarily, because of Colgan's ability to underbid most of the competition. In fact, Colgan is THE only carrier in the turboprop niche. Couple this with a non-union workforce and it is easy to see why Continental and UAL have contracted Colgan over the past year.
In the current economic climate airlines will be looking to further reduce costs. The 50-seat turboprop may indeed see a renissance for the 300NM or less segments. This places Colgan in a good strategic position to take advantage of the market share that no other airline is either willing or able economically to compete.

Regards,

ex-Navy Rotorhead

Translation:

"My cohorts and I are willing to underbid anyone, including the current US Airways wholly-owned carrier(s), to gain access to additional turboprop flying. We will do this no matter what the price to us and our families and will screw any pilot group who draws a line in the sand regarding compensation and work rules."

"We are bottom feeders and are proud to remain so. Watch out World! We want your jobs!"

You sound as though you are PROUD of Colgan's ability to underbid the competion. Is that really such a good thing? You have also said that Colgan is the only carrier in the turboprop niche. That is not so at all: How about Piedmont? Commuteair? Did they gets jets recently?

I am actually concered a great deal about Colgan underbidding the competion in a bid for survival. They must continue to aquire larger turboprops... Post 9/11 security costs, advancing airframe age and additional part 121 equipment regulations has made the 19 seat aircraft a money losing proposition. I see a time in the future when Colgan may try for a larger piece of the US Airways Express pie by virtue of their low labor costs. What a shame that would be for the Piedmont folks who have earned a fairly decent (for a regioinal) quality of life and have the benefits of a mature labor agreement. I hope I am wrong about this, but it wouldn't suprise me a bit.

In the current economic climate airlines will be looking to further reduce costs. The 50-seat turboprop may indeed see a renissance for the 300NM or less segments. This places Colgan in a good strategic position to take advantage of the market share that no other airline is either willing or able economically to compete

You're kidding right?

Latest resources

Back