Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
first amendment

IFF,
I wasn't suggesting that you had censored any posts when I referred to the First Amendment, but rather referred to your implicit suggestion that the flag waving crackers below the Mason-Dixon shouldn't be excersizing their first amnt. rights to do whatever.
If it is not an appropriate subject for this forum then perhaps you should not have made the comment to begin with, thus my suggestion about being a bit more circumspect. Did you really expect a comment like that to go unchallenged? One can't make such inflammatory comments in one moment and in the next moment appeal to everyone to keep the content and tone professional.

Hey FL000, Sorry about the slight. Salutations to a fellow cracker. BTW, a "dope" is an old expression for Coke as this drink at one time in fact contained cocaine. Dope=Coke, not to be confused with some message board moderators making intemperate remarks.

Coca Cola never contained cocaine, its just an "Urban Legend"

As a side note, I'm betting the debate over calling it pop, soda, coke or whatever would probably be more heated then racism or security debates. :D

Pop v. Soda v. Tonic

Depends on the part of the country you're in.

In the west, it's called pop. Other parts of the country, and more toward the East, it's called soda. If you're in Boston, the stuff that you can mix with gin is not necessarily quinine water; it can be Coke, Pepsi and for the Southerners who've been following this thread, RC.

"Coca Cola never contained cocaine, its just an "Urban Legend" "

Better check again: Coca Cola originally did contain small amounts of cocaine. This can be verified on the "Urban Legend" website. http://www.snopes2.com/

I checked again and this is what I found at the Coca Cola Website.

Coca-Cola does not contain cocaine or any other harmful substance, and cocaine has never been an added ingredient for Coca-Cola.

Until someone can find a more reliable source (a website that is aimed at shocking people doesn't count) then I stand behind my statement. There has never been cocaine in Coca Cola, its just an "urban legend"

Maybe the company is splitting a very fine hair here. They may be saying that only a certain formula, without Cocaine, qualifies as being referred to as "Coca Cola", and that a previous formula, containing the aformentioned substance, will not be referred to using the company name. I saw a special on TLC or the History Channel last year that clearly stated that many soft drinks, including the one we are discussing, did indeed contain all sorts of drugs, until they became controlled substances under the drug and cosmetic act.

Perhaps a book on the early days of the FDA would be a good place to research this.

Man, I wish I was flying today!!!!!!!!!!!!

They're splitting hairs alright, but it comes in the phrase "added ingredient." The cocaine is an innate part of the coca leaf. What they are saying is that cocaine was never added to the mix in a pure form.

From Coca-Cola: An Illustrated History, by Pat Watters:

[on the existence of cocaine in Coca-Cola]

"It is not, of course, as the company would have everyone know. But once it was, according to no less an authority than a pamphlet released by Asa Candler in 1901 titled What is it? What it is....

"An analytical chemist, Dr. H.R. Slack, had analyzed the drink ten years previously and found only an infinitesimal trace of the drug, the pamphlet said. Pointing out that many coca leaves are required to make a small amount of the narcotic and that only a small quantity of the leaf went into Coca-Cola..."

Hey, ifly4food. I thought you where supposed to be a moderator, not an instigator. Your dumbass comment about people south of the Mason-Dixon didn't show much moderation. Before you belittle us southern folk with your confused, biased reteric, go spend the afternoon at the FBO in Teterhole, La Garbage, Providence, (insert any Northeast city). Now, go spend the next day at an FBO in Lexington, Atlanta, or Dallas. Tell me which has the nicest people, surroundings, and service. No contest. I would rather get poked in the eye with a stick than fly to the Northeast. People, service, and facilities are much better in the South. Think before you speak, jackass.

Latest resources

Back