Trouble ahead for Low Cost Carriers???

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
General Lee:

Thanks for your articulate, well-reasoned response- and I mean that in all sincerity. I will try to respond:

My question was what will happen when there is such a large amount of LCC's all fighting with each other, and what will that due to future profits?

I don't pretend to be a guru, but from what I have seen in the trenches, we generally avoid going head-to-head with other LCC's. There is too much low-hanging fruit, and most of the LCC's have a different niche to fill.

For example, SWA has generally avoided congested airports, and does not serve ATL. Therefore, most of our routes don't compete with theirs directly. For example, they avoid BOS, EWR, LGA, LAX, SFO, DCA and (and, until now, PHL) and in places where we both have a presence, like TPA, MCO, BWI etc. we generally are going to ATL or are doing direct flights to non SWA-direct cities, so, in that regard, we co-exist just fine.

The JB incursion into ATL was an aberration, and we were largely responsible for discouraging their ATL ambitions, I think. It is one thing to have competition from a major, but another to get it from another LCC, and on their home turf!

You have noted many times that our costs will have to come down, and we are doing just that. We have 2500 less pilots than pre-9-11, and 16,000 less total employees, more Kiosks, etc.....

True. But I doubt you will see anywhere near the 8 cent level you need (especially with RJ's doing 49% ASM) but we will never know, since DAL chooses not to reveal the unit CSM's.

Your costs at Airtran will eventually go up, like you pilot pay costs---you said it yourself--you will be making more coming up here. I, as it looks like today, will be making less.

This is true, but as was noted in a Motley Fool article today, our labor costs only make up 29% of our overall costs. Here is a link to the article (which you have to join, but it is free and painless) http://www.fool.com/news/mft/2003/mft03120501.htm?ref=foolwatch

The LCCs are not keeping their costs the same, but they are increasing theirs too. Southwest pilots pay is getting really good, and the other employees (like the flight attendants) want more too. Do you see my point? More LCCs and more cheap seats will not help your future profit margins.

LCC workers want more money, it's true, but they also work their butts off to control costs. How many strings on the DALPA website are devoted to APU usage, or brake wear, or ways to safely decrease turn time? I don;t know, but from watching some of these DAL skippers taxi, it would seem that the majority must be about "How to taxi more slowly to increase pay"!

Just kidding, but LCC work requires a moitivated work force, and it is very hard to get people to go backwards (ie give up bennies and pay and still be productive).

TW

Ty, I am going to get completely off the subject but SWA hardly avoids LAX. OK, you can continue your discussion. Thanks for your time.

Sorry, I thought SWA served the outlying airports, but not LAX. I see from their website that I was mistaken.

Ty,

I thought your response was good too. I think you are correct on some points. True, you do not go head to head with many LCCs---it seems that Airtran likes to raid hubs. (Not only ATL, but PHL, and now DFW) That is an interesting practice, and one that has done well for you so far. The only thing that can bite you there is looking for more gate space to increase those endevors. (yes, you are building a new terminal in ATL) I think setting up shop in DFW against AA was great, but I am trying to think of more hubs you can raid next. You will need to go to a hub that doesn't have another LCC there. Your BWI mini-hub has Southwest there, but you don't really fly to the same cities. (except some in FLA--MCO/FLL/TPA) I guess IAH could be next (although you go to Hobby I believe), ORD doesn't really have the space or slots, and DTW and MSP might be prime if you buy enough Type 4 de-ice fluid. The Airtran hub raiding strategy is a good one, but with the ever growing LCCs, there will be some overlap. You mentioned PHL and Southwest. That may not help your cause there, and Song does not serve there at all.

As far as our costs with CASM, you are right again---our CASM is higher becasue we INCLUDE ASA and COMAIR in our average. Our Mainline costs are actually not that high---probably in the 8's, but add on the 14.5 CASM from Comair and ASA, and the average rises. Only the pilots are paid higher than most, partly because we have only one union and one contract. That contract is currently being renegotiated a tad....which will probably lower the CASM a little too.

As far as LCC workers working their butts off, I believe it. But, the Southwest flight attendants don't want to pick up trash between flights now. Hmmm. They must have not worked at a "commuter" (now called a regional). That was standard practice, and even the pilots helped. As far as I know, we do not keep on the APU 1 minute longer than we have to, and we taxi out on one engine unless there is no waiting anticipated.
I don't think we fly around with the gear down wasting gas either. We absolutely have bullitens on our sign in computers giving ways to save the company gas and other helpful hints that most of us follow when we can. We have been shifting airplanes around now to better fit the loads, like sending 737-200s to Montreal in the Winter, and MD-88s to PHX in the Summer. This frees up our 757s to go over to Song and compete vigorously with Jetblue. Delta is trying to get their costs under control, and they really want us to give up the farm in pay, but I doubt that will happen. We will help though.

Bye Bye--General Lee:cool: ;)

General-

Again, empty airplanes got Delta where they are. I never said anything about rj's other than not being the cause of Delta's problems. I agree, rj's are not the magic answer, nor do I think they are being taughted as such.

BTW, I am curious if you would have the same attitude about rj's being too costly if mainline owned and flew all of them.

General,

You are quite mistaken about the trash issue with our flight attendents.

They don't have a problem with the responsibility. They just want to be paid the same as others in the industry that do not or will never accept the responsibility.

We have unquestionably the finest flight attendants in the industry and they deserve at least their industry average.

Its all they are asking.

SWAdude:cool:

General Lee said:
Do you see my point? More LCCs and more cheap seats will not help your future profit margins. I just said that the INTL side of the Majors is not really faced with that right now.

Bye Bye--General Lee;) :rolleyes:

General:

Just a guess, but I believe there may be a lot more competition on those international routes than you realize. If your costs get too out of whack with your SkyTeam "alliance partners," who do you think will get a bigger share of those intl routes?

The LCC's are going to bump into each other eventually. There are only so many routes out there that can produce a volume that is great enough to fill the 717/737/A320,etc. However, for the time being there is still plenty of traffic out there for the LCC's.

Why should Airtran worry about WN when they've still got plenty of passengers they can poach from DL? Airtran continues growing at DL's expense and DL has done little to fight back. DL's costs are much higher than Airtran and so far they haven't come down. DL's overall product is pretty sad and DL's frequent flyer program isn't that great either. Don't forget, Airtran has a frequent flyer program too. Right now, Airtran is offering to comp any frequent flyer who has elite status at another airline to elite status at Airtran....more poaching.

Sure, DL can dump more capacity on Airtran and drive down yields, but that strategy is doomed to fail. Lower yields may hurt Airtran, but they'll kill DL. Imagine how poorly Song must be doing right now if yields are so bad that even JBLU is seeing its margins get reduced. Song has higher unit costs than JBLU, lower unit revenues than JBLU and lower loadfactors than JBLU....sounds like a recipe for disaster.

Sure, international traffic can offset some of the domestic bloodbath, but remember DL only receives about 20% of its revenues from the international market. That 20% can't possibly offset the remaining 80% where DL is getting hammered.
Even if someday the LCC's really do get into heavy fare wars that drive down yields even more (can they go much lower???), the majors are the ones that will be caught in the middle.

Last edited:
Whats interesting about the low cost carriers is that they really don't compete with each other except on a few routes maybe. They develop their own niches and stick with them.

Thats one of the problems with the Deltas and uniteds is that they have way too much competitive pressures to weather the storms.

I really don't see the LCC's making the same mistakes that the others have made by ruling the airline world.

You will always get the full sevice guys to try and compete with the LCC's on some levels but when their sector of the business recovers they will see that redeploying those assets to what they do best is what gives them a better bottom line.

In reality the full service carriers doing a low cost business makes about as much sense as SWA going into the full service business to compete with those guys. We plainly just can not do that.

SWAdude:cool:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back