Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trimming a B200 for proper flare, what if you GA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks for all the info, everyone. I have an empty leg next week and the Captain will generally use those for things like emergency descents, single-engine work, etc. If the weather's good on the way back I'll ask about running thru a couple stalls.

Thanks again!

Minh

"Touched by His noodley appendage. Rah-men!"

The B200 doesn't have any bad go-around tendencies. I was based out of KVNY when I flew one and it wasn't uncommon to have the tower give the dreaded "go-around" call on short final. I NEVER used the electric trim in the 200, even in the brand-new model I was flying. That big manual trim wheel is awesome and, IMHO, gives alot better feel. In the 200 it's perfectly acceptable to trim away ALL of the back pressure for landing.

Our CP used to make us do full-power stalls every 6 months in the B200. I think it's a dumb thing to do in a twin and don't recommend it. Nonetheless, it was an interesting exercise. The plane will hang on the props at a rediculous deck angle before it breaks. You'd have to be waaaay behind the ball to get into trouble due to trim on a go-around.

The B200 doesn't have any bad go-around tendencies. I was based out of KVNY when I flew one and it wasn't uncommon to have the tower give the dreaded "go-around" call on short final. I NEVER used the electric trim in the 200, even in the brand-new model I was flying. That big manual trim wheel is awesome and, IMHO, gives alot better feel. In the 200 it's perfectly acceptable to trim away ALL of the back pressure for landing.

Amem brotha!!! Took the words out of my mouth.

Workin'Stiff said:
You use your hand and start throwin' that little wheel!
THANK YOU!! Just because the switch is on the yoke does not mean you have to use it. Grab a fist full of trim wheel and go to work on it. Also, it's my opinion that you are using waaaaaay too much trim if a routine go around is going to cause a possible disaster without and exorbant amount of forward trim.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.?.? Try posting on here or the NBAA message board asking the landing/flare techniques of other B200 pilots and see what they have to say.
How fast are you coming in? Try REF +10. As you cross over the threshold, pull 1/4 to 1/2 the travel out of the power levers. Now, bring that Smoke Wagon down to about 3 to 4 feet off the ground, level it off, then ever so slightly start to trim the nose up and power to flight Idle (Dont let it float). You'll roll that bad boy on every time and that nose will be up in the air lookin' oh so sweet!!

I think I used the manual trim a whole lot more in the King Air than I used the electric trim.

Our CP used to make us do full-power stalls every 6 months in the B200. I think it's a dumb thing to do in a twin and don't recommend it.

We used to do full stalls in all our aircraft, from little to big, one engine to four. Knowing the aircraft's low speed habits is more important than knowing it's high end regime. You never have to tickle upper limits, but passing through the lower end is a necessity at least twice every flight.

Single engine full stalls in a multi engine airplane are another matter, and are inappropriate. But all engine stalls are not.

Manual trim all the way. Electric is good for the taxi checks.

I find with the 4 bladed props that once i have the runway made i will walk the levers back to 200lbs a side. Much less and you'll know you arrived. I will make small corrections quickly with the wiz wheel and right back to the levers. A real no brainer once you've done it a few hundered times, lol.

Last edited:
Yup, walking them back does wonders. What will also do wonders, is when you are able to feel the props coming out of governor. This keeps you from doing the last minute fishtail on the centerline when one comes out before the other. Learned that one the hard way.....

Manual trim is preferred, and I use it with a Captain who is an MEI (I can fly from the left-hand seat). But it's a stretch from the right with so much else going on, even when you're 6'1". :D

Thanks for all the info ... much appreciated.

Ming

Latest resources

Back