Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trimming a B200 for proper flare, what if you GA?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Snakum

How's your marmott?
Dumb newbie question time ...

I've stopped trying to muscle the King Air into a proper flare with one arm, and have finally learned to stop being such a punk on the trim switch. I really roll it in. But I wondered, if I had to go-around just before touchdown, would I have to stand on the yoke to keep it from stalling when I push in the power? I realize that the aerodynamics are way different from a hi-perf piston single, but having gotten a scare the first time I did a last minute GA in a C182, I wanted to ask anyway.

Minhberg

No man, you just have to hit that trim switch down as you put the power up. Have you flown it yet? You just started right?

You mean have I flown a go-around in a King Air? No ... not yet.

On the B200 I've flown (meaning hand-flown the whole way) maybe 10 legs, and did the take-offs and landings on all of them after the first one, with varying levels of success. :D So yes ... I'm still a rank beginner with LOTS to learn.

Oddly enough, I've never had any problems with the take-offs and landings, but for some bizarre reason I had a devil of a time learning how to taxi correctly/smoothly at low speed. I posted a question about it here a few weeks ago, in fact. I often get to taxi even when I'm not flying ... the boss obviously knew I needed practice on it. :laugh: The trick was learning how to use differential thrust to help it along, as someone here suggested when I ask about it.

But my landings have always been pretty good considering my very low time. But I have always been told to keep one hand on the power levers all the way from final to the ramp, and I was having to pull pretty hard to get the nose up in the flare until I learned I needed to trim a LOT more. I was just curious about a last-minute go-around and how the nose-hi trim would affect handling.

So ... when you say that I would just run it back down on a go-around, and knowing how relatively slowly it moves, am I going to be struggling with the yoke to keep the nose down while the trim comes in, or is it pretty much a non-event?

Thanks for the info ...

Minh

Last edited:
Minh,

Try trimming down to approach speed, and then stop trimming. As you go slower, use back presure. If you go around, you're already trimmed on speed, as you start your climb at the same speed for which you were trimmed, and then accelerate and retrim to your climb speed.

The trim is slow to your eye, but on the stab its fast back there. It will keep up with you. Its a NON-EVENT!!!! If you want to grease it you should use a lot of trim.

uhh...been a while since I've flown a B-200 but I dont remember it having manual trim...just a standyby emergency trim

Thedude said:
uhh...been a while since I've flown a B-200 but I dont remember it having manual trim...just a standyby emergency trim

That's actually the 100 series King Airs that have dual electric systems.

Snakum--get them to let you take it up and do a couple of stalls...trim it like you would for landing, and go-around...it'll give you a good pitch up, but if you muscle it for about 2 seconds while you give the trim wheel a quick 3/4 turn or so, it works out pretty well.

Fly safe!

David

Snakum said:
Dumb newbie question time ...

But I wondered, if I had to go-around just before touchdown, would I have to stand on the yoke to keep it from stalling when I push in the power?
Minhberg

In a word, maybe.....

IMHO You can "over" trim on some aircraft during flair/roundout. Remember that the trim wheel is to take pressure off the yoke, not a "auto landing" device like some pilots think it is that I have run into. You will find through some practice where to stop trimming so to not over trim (for the possible go around). Ask the person you are flying with about their technique. The stall practice suggested in not a bad idea. I use the same technique as Avbug suggested. It will cover a wide range of aircraft types.

Also, you are now getting into aircraft with a larger CG envolope where your aircraft could be more tail or nose heavy than you are used to (depending on how the aircraft is loaded). A tail heavy aircraft with a lot of nose up trim during the initial go-around can be a handfull. Be carefull.

JAFI

Latest resources

Back