transition from airline to part 91 corp. question

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

sonic340

OK all, here goes. Getting furloughed and have been in the airlines for about 10 years. I've been offered a job flying a Citation Ultra which will be operated part 91. This is an upgrade for this particular company as they previously had a turboprop. I am going to be in charge of pretty much everything on this bird and need some direction and advice on making this transition. Would like info on how most operators do their flight planning, w and b, etc. Thanks for any input folks.

OK all, here goes. Getting furloughed and have been in the airlines for about 10 years. I've been offered a job flying a Citation Ultra which will be operated part 91. This is an upgrade for this particular company as they previously had a turboprop. I am going to be in charge of pretty much everything on this bird and need some direction and advice on making this transition. Would like info on how most operators do their flight planning, w and b, etc. Thanks for any input folks.

Pretty simple. You do your own flight planning in that type of aircraft.

W&B: Some 91 ops do them and some don't. You don't have to.

That should be an amazingly easy and smooth transition for you. Literally, the hardest thing you'll encounter is that you now have to file your own flight plans. But they take all of 1 minute on fltplan.com.

go to fltplan.com it great! review chapter 5 in your MX manual to know when to schedule MX. W&B from flight manual.
oh also learn how to become magician so you can make alot of luggage fit in a small area !

Balou

Because it is a turbine aircraft, someone will have to be named responsible for the inspection program on the Ultra (ref 91.409 (f)). If you have a DOM, this is a no brainer. If you're a one man show, it will be you who is named responsible for assuring the aircraft is inspected per whichever program you select.

Also, you're going to have to secure LOA's from the local FSDO for RVSM operations. Some, if not most, require an RVSM Manual. There may already be an RVSM LOA for the turboprop, but this will need to be changed when you get the Ultra.

Once you're up an running, these things are easy to maintain. It may just require some intense work for the start-up. I have experience in these areas. Feel free to PM me if you'd like some help.

PfP

Thanks for all the info so far people. I will definitely do some checking into some of these things, especially regarding the comments by ProFrac. Good stuff and will PM you as well. Thanks again.

wow - filing a flight plan... there's a concept airlines guys forget about

Sonic, PM me if you'd like, I can put you in touch with someone who does RVSM manuals and MELs (ex FED) and who can tell you everything you need to know about managing a jet under 91.

do not forget

... and cleaning A/C before and after flight, ordering catering, hotel planning, FUEL purchase and or joining fuel clubs. Taking care of Jeppessen subscriptions, hangar space reservations if needed, FBO advising, invoice checking eq accounting work in the office, open line communication to any flight department issue not just 9 to 5 ...

It is work, not just drive and park

Success w the new job !!

Doesn't every multi-engine airplane operator have to perform a weight and balance?

Never done one for Pt 91 flying ... only Pt 135. Which means usually at the end of the day the PIC or me (gear slinger) will fill in the form with some numbers pulled out of our ass for every leg we flew with peoples on 'em. :D

Latest resources

Back