• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Trans States and the J41

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know it really wasn't that long ago(5-7 years) that people were happy to fly planes like this, bragging to their friends that they didn't have to start out on planes like the Metro, J32 or the 1900 b/c they were 'high time'. Now you'd think it was some sort of an insult to have to fly a cabin class turboprop. Oh well I guess the same thing is happening with the 30-50 seaters versus the -900's or E170's.

Flaps, Flows, APR...

Stuffing Napkins in window seal so no TYPE 1 gets all over...

RIP

Last edited:
Marko Ramius said:
Now you'd think it was some sort of an insult to have to fly a cabin class turboprop.

It can be difficult to keep the faith at times, but I am content with my lot in life. Still a pleasure to pass the jets like they're standing still on a closely spaced final.

Marko Ramius said:
You know it really wasn't that long ago(5-7 years) that people were happy to fly planes like this, bragging to their friends that they didn't have to start out on planes like the Metro, J32 or the 1900 b/c they were 'high time'. Now you'd think it was some sort of an insult to have to fly a cabin class turboprop. Oh well I guess the same thing is happening with the 30-50 seaters versus the -900's or E170's.

Cabin class turboprop? I hope you're not talking about the 41. You can't call it Cabin class, it has a cabin but the smallest for a 30 seater. I was happy to fly it when I did, but no passenger ever was.

GO AROUND said:
Cabin class turboprop? I hope you're not talking about the 41. You can't call it Cabin class, it has a cabin but the smallest for a 30 seater. I was happy to fly it when I did, but no passenger ever was.

I was the only passenger many times going to work. I loved to rip all the seat cushions off and lay them on the cabin floor like a bed and take a short nap. Talk about spacious cabin.

In the cockpit, the f/o's rigged a cup, paperclip, and rubber band over the ACM vent to get air across the cockpit instead of the f/o's side window.

Loved it...loved it!

Cheers!

Ahh yes the goodness that was an ALB or SYR overnight in the 41 when you got to the airplane the next morning and spent 45 minutes trying to get it to warm up. Or having a flight attendant pass out because its 120° in the back in august. Or forgetting to put the props on the locks - you all know you have done this. It was fun to fly once you got it off the ground though...

GO AROUND said:

Cabin class turboprop was just the pretty term that airlines used for all of the turboprops that had an F/A and a bathroom like the 41, ATR, Saab, EMB-120 etc. It differentiated them the Metro's, J32's, and 1900's. It's kind of like saying Legacy carrier instead of network major. I've ridden on the J41 many times, so I'm quite familiar of the discomfort. I don't think most passengers like RJ's much more outside of the lack of a prop(New E jets excluded). I rode one about a month or so ago, and it was great b/c most pax put themselves on the other flights operated by RJ which left plenty of room for me to get a ride. I still think it's funny that many pilots today seem to think flying those aircraft is for the Flinstones. Not a big deal in the grand scheme really, just interesting on an Arsenio "Things that make you go hmmmm," level.

Remember the post flight blade-spinning ritual?

Concerned passenger coming down the stairs: "Why are you turning the propeller?"

F/O: "Why, we're winding up the rubber band, Ma'am."

All in all, it was a great airplane to start out in but it got old fast. I blame my 1/3 loss of hearing on that thing (the other 2/3 was in the 727. Huh, what'd you say?)

Turbine is turbine...........it takes a better pilot to fly a turbo-prop in general especially on a Junkstream.

Myscan I am sure went to crap as soon as I finished IOE on the EMB.......

Shrek said:
Turbine is turbine...........it takes a better pilot to fly a turbo-prop in general especially on a Junkstream.

Myscan I am sure went to crap as soon as I finished IOE on the EMB.......

Actually the 41 had decent half-a$$ed EFIS - horizon and DG with airspeed tapes. You must be referring to the J31/J32 which had round dials.

Latest resources

Back