Tranny ALPA MEC - Dragging their feet

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Morons:

If Atlanta goes to 850 pilots you're still going to be displaced even if all 1600 of you were put at the top of an 8000 pilot list.

Vote it down please! Do it!

Lear and Ty,

I haven't been educated on the nuances yet. I do know the plan is to reduce ATL and get rid of MCO and MKE. Where and to what extent I have no idea.

I know one thing. Your group hasn't decided what to do yet. I'm sure they have spent every day with legal trying to figure out the details so until Monday we're all just guessing.

Their decision WILL be looked back upon as huge either way.
Gup

If I offered you $50K a year to make a two-leg commute to a reserve line in various junior bases, would you take it?

I would take that...

Hey Tranny's,

The economy blows and you are getting a raise...take the bucks...anything could happen between now and 2020...

The economy blows and you are getting a raise...take the bucks...anything could happen between now and 2020...

Exactly why advocating a voting position (one way or the other) is premature at this point until we know what the FULL LANGUAGE is.

BTW, if I or anyone else is thinking about voting no in this economic environment, that should be enough to understand our concerns for SL9 and the agreement.

'Nuff said.

Ty, we will be displaced from our base no matter what happens. Swa is not going to keep the atl base the same size it is now. Without the c&r I bet even less of our pilots keep atl. The c&r give us priority in atl and keep atl at a min level. 60-70 % of our pilots commute I think most of those who live in atl will get to stay in atl.

Ty, we will be displaced from our base no matter what happens. Swa is not going to keep the atl base the same size it is now. Without the c&r I bet even less of our pilots keep atl. The c&r give us priority in atl and keep atl at a min level. 60-70 % of our pilots commute I think most of those who live in atl will get to stay in atl.

I think you're wrong, but I hope you're right. The senior CA's that commute to ATL will no longer be senior at a SWA base.

An example;

Captain Homeboy was at 15% and is now at 45% system seniority. He can either take the blank or bottom line at the SWA base, or remain in the ATL and continue to slurp up life NOT ON F"KIN RESERVE ..... :)

Those of us who live in ATL will then commute to reserve.

How many of you commute? I think we sent out some fancy packets to lots of addresses.
Short answer: we don't know.

We USED to know back when EVERYONE was in ATL, but with the shift to MKE and MCO bases, that demographic has changed. It was a little over 70%, I think it's lower right now, about 80-90% of our CA's in MCO live there (or within driving distance like the Space Coast or TPA) and about 60-70% of our F/O's live there also.

MKE has a similar demographic (who would commute for 90% red-eyes and stand-ups??).

That has probably dropped the demographic considerably. However, closing MKE and the unknowns of what will happen with MCO, that number could stay steady (with all the other SWA bases absorbing the people who will come out of MKE and MCO) or drop somewhat (for the same reason).

A better question would probably be how many pilots live in ATL. That's what's going to suck for the junior people, you're going to have fairly senior folk like myself camping in ATL until our system seniority holds just as good (or better) of a line in another base like MCO, BWI, or MDW, whereby more junior F/O's who live in ATL will have to commute to reserve when their own city has a base they could sit at home on reserve. Just the realities of the airline world.

We'll deal with it, just want it to work as advertised in the AIP.

Lear the latest Bloch ruling on masaba Pinnacle award Bloch did look at the staffing of each airline. I don't know if it will help us or hurt us but he does look at it.

Airtran not only has a much higher reserve percentage, but they also have a third set of crews (redeyes, cdos). Gary has said Swa will not take part in the additional third crew flying. His reason was not enough revenue versus costs.

You are fundamentally getting the doh minus via staffing and retirements. Hence the staggered blend and some guys getting doh minus 2 and some doh minus 4. Additionally there is the captain protection.

An arbitrator may elect to do all the above and consider it a doh integration. It's very hard to say. Again, it's all a moot point.

If you guys have that many commuters, then you can't really complain about being dealt a commute to SWA bases.

Ty, you asked how we would like being dealt your hand. Admittedly, it's a tough question to answer due to the fact that I haven't worked at AAI and am not completely familiar with all the frustration you have had. (I did work at Mesa, if that counts for anything. Which it should.)

But I know enough about your pay and benefits (like how much you pay for health insurance) to know that losing a couple of years off of DOH and going onto reserve should really be a wash with the increase in pay and benefits, especially for your captains. Quality of life at SWA is truly unbelievable, with the way this company takes care of you. (Example: true story...When my grandmother passed away, I asked for some time off from a trip to attend the funeral. I not only got the time off, I got it off with pay, not out of my sick bank, and the chief pilots' office travelled myself, my wife, and my kids to and from the funeral, space positive. I challenge you to name another airline that would do that.)

I can say this. If I was in your captains' shoes, I'd be showing my wife the numbers and telling her we're moving to BWI (or MDW or HOU or etc.). Sitting reserve at SWA at a cool $230,000, plus picking up out of give-away or open time, is not a bad gig, especially if you live in base. It actually goes senior when we cycle through the lean flying times.

So, I've answered your question. How would you feel if you had been a SWA FO for the last 7 to 10 years, waited patiently for organic growth to resume after a three-year hiatus, and then were told your airline was going to grow by purchasing a smaller competitor, and then finally found out that all the captains at that competitor were going to come in and assume all the captain spots of the entire growth by acquisition, even sitting junior to you on that list?

You would not be pleased.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back