Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

aucfi

Endowed Member
What happened to entering the traffic pattern the proper & courteous way?

Two aircraft both called 6 mile finals within 10 minutes of each other while there were 3 other aircraft in the pattern including myself. To top it off, one of the aircraft (a Cirrus) called his 6 mile final, his 3 mile final, his 1 mile final, and his short final and then called a go-around after realizing he had made his approach to the CLOSED RUNWAY!

One guy in the pattern simply departed and came back in after things calmed down (smart guy). The other plane in the pattern turned final ahead of the other guy on the long final because the long final traffic said "yeh you guys got plenty of room, Im still 4-5 miles out." Im not going to bank my life/career on this guys estimate of distance on his final approach. My student and I elected to extend until he was in sight and beyond us and simply because he technically has the right of way.

We get a lot of corporate traffic in and out of the airport and they usually cut corners in the pattern. Though its practically no different, I usually dont mind extending to let them in ahead of us or to give them a chance to depart as long as they call ahead and give us in the pattern time to kind of coordinate an opening for them. It doesnt take too long for a corporate jet to fly a 6 mile final, but a 172, c'mon.

That's what scares me about uncontrolled feilds. My time is pretty low, and ALL of it has been at a towered airport, where ATC basically tells you what to do. The thought of whipping around an uncontrolled feild with other airplanes in the pattern, not to mention others airplane inbound....scares the hell out of me. I hoping I'll get some experiance with non-towered feilds durring the X-country phase of training.

Last edited:
aucfi said:
What happened to entering the traffic pattern the proper & courteous way?

Two aircraft both called 6 mile finals within 10 minutes of each other while there were 3 other aircraft in the pattern including myself. To top it off, one of the aircraft (a Cirrus) called his 6 mile final, his 3 mile final, his 1 mile final, and his short final and then called a go-around after realizing he had made his approach to the CLOSED RUNWAY!

how come no one was courteous enough to tell this guy the runway was closed?

The Cirrus pilot was calling his final to runway 20 and actually made his approach to the closed runway 24

UA-RESURRECTED said:
That's what scares me about uncontrolled feilds. My time is pretty low, and ALL of it has been at a towered airport, where ATC basically tells you what to do..

f'n a hes back

towered or uuntowered you're still responsible for see and avoid. i cant count how many times ive been cut off or had towere lose track of whos who in the pattern

UA-RESURRECTED said:
The thought of whipping around an uncontrolled feild with other airplanes in the pattern, not to mention others airplane inbound....scares the hell out of me.

My suggestion: less "whipping".

MFR

"I had the right of way!" is a common engraving on tombstones. That's why it is called en "graving".

Just a thought but it sounds like the Cirrus is the bonanza of the new millenium. Underexperienced aviators overreaching their skills with deep pockets. Instead of the fork-tailed doctor killer its the glass based moron thriller.

aucfi said:
The Cirrus pilot was calling his final to runway 20 and actually made his approach to the closed runway 24

What a tool. You would think that with all of the toys in the Cirrus, the guy could get the name of the runway correct.

Latest resources

Back