Traffic Pattern Anyone?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
DrewBlows said:
I took the regulation to mean that once in the traffic pattern all turns need to be to the left,

Yes, but the regulations doesn't say "in the traffic pattern" it says:

"... in the vicinity of an airport....."

In other contexts 5 miles is considered "in the vicinity" of the airport, whether this would be applicable here, I don't know, but it's a starting point.

DrewBlows said:
Your other point that right traffice would be appropriate "when required" is valid as well. Which begs the question, when would right traffic (or a pattern other than displayed) be "required" for a circling approach? I can think of a few instances where right traffic would be a little more convenient, but not "required". Prove me wrong.:)

Well off the top of my head: ILS 18, circle to land 36, plate says "circling west of field is prohibited" because there's a 200 ft cell tower. I think that would be one scenario where right turns would be required.

A Squared said:
Well off the top of my head: ILS 18, circle to land 36, plate says "circling west of field is prohibited" because there's a 200 ft cell tower. I think that would be one scenario where right turns would be required.

Touche! In this case I would presume that the prescibed traffic pattern was also right because of the tower. In my experience airports use right traffic for either obstacles or noise abatement.

DrewBlows said:
In this case I would presume that the prescibed traffic pattern was also right because of the tower.

Sure, in many cases it would be. however 200 ft obstacle probably wouldn't affect a traffic pattern at 800-1000 ft AGL, but it would make the difference between a 350 HAA circiling MDA and a 500 ft MDA. I know of at least one airport I fly to regularly which has standard left patterns but circiling is not authorized on one side of the runway.

Latest resources

Back