"Traffic in sight"

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Mach 80

When you are above 18,000' and ATC lets you know about crossing traffic coming up, if you don't see the traffic right away, there is absolutely no need to call ATC back a few minutes later clogging up the frequency telling ATC that you now see the traffic. Did he ask you to report the traffic? No. It is simply done as a courtesy so you won't be startled when you see the traffic. Many years ago when jets first started flying, pilots almost climbed and descended on their own before warnings were issued. Anyway, no need to be a hero and call back ATC simply to report "traffic in sight", the controller really doesn't care and does not need you to report the traffic, so please stop adding to radio clutter.

Last edited:
Anyway, no need to be a hero and call back ATC simply to report "traffic in sight", the controller really doesn't care and does not need you to report the traffic, so please stop adding to radio clutter.

You know this for a fact? I know a couple ATL center controllers and they said they do expect and appreciate the "in sight" call. Sorry to bust your little balloon but you be wrong! :rolleyes:

You know this for a fact? I know a couple ATL center controllers and they said they do expect and appreciate the "in sight" call. Sorry to bust your little balloon but you be wrong! :rolleyes:

I had an ATC ride-along recently, and the subject came up. He said that in RVSM airspace, they are required to call out the traffic; it is simply a requirement to announce it, they do not care to know whether we see them or not.

I also asked him about the AIM-required report leaving an assigned altitude (as in a PD descent, or at TOD descent on an arrival). He said that they appreciate a call leaving altitude, it is a reminder to them of a previously-issued clearance.

Even if I don't have the traffic in sight visually, I'll let ATC know if I have him on the "Fish Finder" and then a "tally ho" if I get him visually.

All. Follow FAA policy and get over it; you have 2 options - FIDO:
1. "xxx, traffic in sight"
2. "xxx, negative contact"

Latest resources

Back