• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Toughest Interview Question?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The question that was toughest for me was: What is your biggest weakness?

I was actually honest and told him 18 yr old girls in bathing suits. It was 2 guys interviewing me and they got a big laugh out of it and I did get the job. After I said that I told them I was just joking and my biggest weakness was remembering peoples names.

Ah yes the J.D. treatment at CoEx, one of the "finer" interview experiences. One-on-one with J.D, His first comment to me is "Why did you send us a resume that was addressed to American Eagle?" Of course it wasnt, but his whole goal or game was to get your frazzled and put you on the defensive to see if you would react calmly or get upset with him. I literally laughed out loud when he asked me if I carried a teddy bear in my overnight bag. Ah the memories.......

JD was awesome.... I had a recommendation from a check airman at XJT who used to do hiring with JD... 2 seconds into the interview, JD lunges across the table and SCREAMS "so I see you have a letter of recommendation from ___ _________, I HOPE YOU DON"T THINK THAT COUNTS FOR ANYTHING!!!"

I laughed and said, "well, actually, Mr. Dresser, his wife and I wrote that recommendation last night at the kitchen table. {So and so} was passed out drunk on the couch."

I got the job.

Good times.
T2S

These airlines make it as hard as possible to get on with them just to see if you really want it. To fly for an airline these days, you really have to want to do it.
I had the same bad experience at Cont. Express,"what are you doing here, I hear Horizon is hiring"? There were wasting my time.
Southwest Airlines has a question on their app.,"check here if you do not want us to contact your present employer". I checked it, they still contacted present employer, and I got fired for looking for work. Be very, very careful about how you go about looking for work. Keep everything, and I mean everything a secret. The job hunting industry, and not aviation only is full of back stabbing jerks who would sell their grandmother so they can go to work for free.
Never, ever tell your present employer you are looking for work, until you have everything wrapped up and are actually giving notice. I could go on and on about lessons learned.[/quot

Similiar situation here bottom line I got fired beacause e I was looking for woa job. So if ever I'm in the position to be looking for a job I am going to treat it like Vegas what happens here stays here I ain't telling anyone ********************.

These airlines make it as hard as possible to get on with them just to see if you really want it. To fly for an airline these days, you really have to want to do it.

The only thing that makes hiring on with an airline difficult is accepting the wage. Beyond that, if you think the airlines making hiring difficult, you may be in for a nasty surprise when seeking work elsewhere.

a question my dad got way back in the day was, "if you had to kill one of your parents, which one would it be?"

I got the queston, "Do you fish?"
Answer- OF COURSE I DO!
But the toughest was when I got asked the ops limits for a cessna 172. It had been years since I'd flown one. HA! I answer the question with, "I think its............" The interviewer had no clue either and had just run out of questions.

Tell me what you would do if you had just passed V1 and a half full plastic bottle of VO fell out of your captains coat? What if you didn't smell VO on his breath? What if his seatbelt wasn't fastned, but you DID smell VO on his breath? True story.

The a-hole who used to run Continental Express' interviews, John D., picked up my resume with two fingers like it was a cat turd, looked at it, looked at me, and said, "Why the hell are you even wasting my time coming here?" Very first interview question, no joke.

Yeah, you guys sent me a space-available ticket so I could rot in the airport for 11 hours until I got the last seat on the last flight of the night to IAH, then had me take a shuttle to a hotel that was 45 minutes away from the airport (and on my own dime), and have the nerve to ask me "how my flight down was" during the interview? And I'm wasting their time?
That S>O>B was a f-ing idiot he did the same crap to me. It was my first interview also, back it was 1999 I had about 3 hours sleep and the interview was in a hotel room. That was so strange.

As a former interviewer and current interview coach, I would say there are four questions that people have the toughest time with:

1. Tell us about yourself
2. What are your strengths and weaknesses
3. What do you like most and least about your current job
4. Why do you want to work for (insert airline name here).

The "tell us about yourself" question is not a personal statement about your wife, kids, dogs, etc. I should be a synopsis of why you became a pilot and your career progression.

The strengths and weaknesses question is tough. For the strengths - use actual good qualities and back them up. If you say you are a "team player," back it up with an example.

For the weakness (and you should only use one), make it something in the past that you have worked on and corrected through a very methodical approach. Think of it like going through a checklist - detailing how you worked on the issue.

On the "what you like most and least about your current job," be honest about what you like. On the least-like part, cover something VERY benign. Then talk about how you have been part of the solution for that problem.

The "why do you want to work for (airline name) question," is a little tougher. I hear many of my clients answer with things like pay, schedule, commuting opportunities, stability, etc. While those may be your REAL reasons for wanting to work for that company, those answers do not belong here.

You need to do research on the company and align yourself with their core values. Then formulate your answers accordingly. This approach does two things: it shows you know something about their company and lets them know you would be a good fit for their operation.

Latest resources

Back