Toughest Interview Question?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

Dprime

What non technical interview question threw you for the biggest loop?

Also did you take an interview prep and how did you handle the "Did you take an interview prep" question?

Last edited:
I hate the question "why should we hire you instead of the next guy?"

I think you should hire us both, if we are qualified and good people. It seems like they want me to say something bad about the "next guy" that I do not even know. Heck, maybe he is more qualified than me and you should hire him, who knows, I don't know that applicant. I know they are looking for the, "I want it more" answer, but I just hate any answer that begs a scripted answer like that.

-Worst Question-
What's your worst quality? WTF kind of question is that. Well sir, I drink to much, am late to work every day and rarely ever get anything accomplished!

-Most Unique Qustion I was asked was during my interivew for a pilot slot with the military. Looking back it was actually the easiest to answer (is that bad?)!

How do you feel about killing people?

At my current job, I was asked all the usual Hr type q's. Drunk CA, sexual harrassmemt. Whatever.

It was a male and a female doing the interview. The male was the D.O., the female an offline pilot who was incharge of pilot hiring at the time.

The last question she asked me; "If you could take anybody in the world to dinner, who would it be?" WTF?

Since it was a woman, I felt like snapping the fingers on both hands and then pointing at her and saying "You, baby! What time should I pick you up?"

What was I gonna say, "Ron Jeremy"?

The a-hole who used to run Continental Express' interviews, John D., picked up my resume with two fingers like it was a cat turd, looked at it, looked at me, and said, "Why the hell are you even wasting my time coming here?" Very first interview question, no joke.

Yeah, you guys sent me a space-available ticket so I could rot in the airport for 11 hours until I got the last seat on the last flight of the night to IAH, then had me take a shuttle to a hotel that was 45 minutes away from the airport (and on my own dime), and have the nerve to ask me "how my flight down was" during the interview? And I'm wasting their time?

These airlines make it as hard as possible to get on with them just to see if you really want it. To fly for an airline these days, you really have to want to do it.
I had the same bad experience at Cont. Express,"what are you doing here, I hear Horizon is hiring"? There were wasting my time.
Southwest Airlines has a question on their app.,"check here if you do not want us to contact your present employer". I checked it, they still contacted present employer, and I got fired for looking for work. Be very, very careful about how you go about looking for work. Keep everything, and I mean everything a secret. The job hunting industry, and not aviation only is full of back stabbing jerks who would sell their grandmother so they can go to work for free.
Never, ever tell your present employer you are looking for work, until you have everything wrapped up and are actually giving notice. I could go on and on about lessons learned.

Southwest Airlines has a question on their app.,"check here if you do not want us to contact your present employer". I checked it, they still contacted present employer, and I got fired for looking for work.

Is this even legal? I know they can probably come up with some reason but that seems a bit shady! Sounds like a shady company, proabably better off with someone else anyway.

The a-hole who used to run Continental Express' interviews, John D., picked up my resume with two fingers like it was a cat turd, looked at it, looked at me, and said, "Why the hell are you even wasting my time coming here?" Very first interview question, no joke.

Ah yes the J.D. treatment at CoEx, one of the "finer" interview experiences. One-on-one with J.D, His first comment to me is "Why did you send us a resume that was addressed to American Eagle?" Of course it wasnt, but his whole goal or game was to get your frazzled and put you on the defensive to see if you would react calmly or get upset with him. I literally laughed out loud when he asked me if I carried a teddy bear in my overnight bag. Ah the memories.......

Ah yes the J.D. treatment at CoEx, one of the "finer" interview experiences. One-on-one with J.D, His first comment to me is "Why did you send us a resume that was addressed to American Eagle?" Of course it wasnt, but his whole goal or game was to get your frazzled and put you on the defensive to see if you would react calmly or get upset with him. I literally laughed out loud when he asked me if I carried a teddy bear in my overnight bag. Ah the memories.......

Answer to Question #1: In the madness to send out a resume to anyone who is hiring I must have f&cked up and sent the wrong one to you guys! Glad you didn't get my GoJet one! :laugh:

Answer to Question #2: Ya his name is freddy. I never go anywhere without him! He helps me pick up chicks in my pilot uniform!

If he doesn't see the humor in that tell him to go f#&k himself!

These airlines make it as hard as possible to get on with them just to see if you really want it. To fly for an airline these days, you really have to want to do it.
I had the same bad experience at Cont. Express,"what are you doing here, I hear Horizon is hiring"? There were wasting my time.
Southwest Airlines has a question on their app.,"check here if you do not want us to contact your present employer". I checked it, they still contacted present employer, and I got fired for looking for work. Be very, very careful about how you go about looking for work. Keep everything, and I mean everything a secret. The job hunting industry, and not aviation only is full of back stabbing jerks who would sell their grandmother so they can go to work for free.
Never, ever tell your present employer you are looking for work, until you have everything wrapped up and are actually giving notice. I could go on and on about lessons learned.

Did you have union protection?

Latest resources

Back