• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Told Ya!!!!!!!!

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
This isn't quite true. A vote took place during the Travel Air days. That vote failed. It is my guess that it failed because of the lack of success by the Teamsters at NJ's. Your old MEC and Union let you down.
And this isn't quite true either. "A vote took place during the Travel Air days." It didn't fail because of a lack of success by the Teamsters at NJA, we had not even begun negotiations on the contract at the time. How can you measure success that way and use it as an excuse for a failed vote? Our old MEC is gone and so is the old union! Strong Union was formed by the pilot group and to this day is funded by the pilot group until we have our own Local. NJA pilots have overcome some huge hurdles despite the company, MEC and Local. If we can overcome those 3 major things, a small pilot group of 900 or so should be able to send in a DAM card. It's your future and time is ticking!

Hey Flightbag! Take a chill pill! By the looks of your experience, it looks light you've been around for a while, so it's kind of sad to see you so bitter and caustic after a lengthy career (almost makes me want to quit flying before I wind up as a cantankerous old fart myself!).

As far as forming a union is concerned, you can't paint all of us FLOPS guys with the same brush. There are many who would consider a union, but who aren't particularly wild about IBT. Others do not want a union for a number of reasons ( some, especially ex-military types, consider it anathema). I respect differing opinions on both sides of the argument, but I (as well as many others I have talked to) are gradually coming around to the conclusion that some kind of representation is going to be necessary if we are going to stay at FLOPS for any length of time. I am open to a fractional pilots union negotiating reasonable solutions to our complaints, from a position of strength and mutual respect. I am not interested in management bashing, protecting the incompetent, or making unreasonable demands (there are always those whom, after being told they will only have to fly on Tuesdays and Thursdays and get paid $300,000 a year, will raise a stink about being made to fly on Thursdays!). I do feel we have legitimate gripes (the list of which seems to be growing daily, lately), but am under no illusion that any union is going to wave a magic wand and make them all go away. Nobody, including Flight Options, owes me a living. I do believe that if they want someone to work for them, it is within that person's right to ask for adequate compensation and working conditions. If their response is for us to go s**t in our hats, then I will find employement elsewhere (or see the threat of enough people doing so to make them change their stance). It's that plain and simple, without having to resort to name calling and the pounding of fists on the table. I have other "irons in the fire", and EVERY pilot I know at FLOPS is actively looking for something else. We're just waiting to see what happens in the next few months before making a decision of whether or not to move on to another job (with a whole new set of gripes!).

Live4

Live4flyng said:
And this isn't quite true either. "A vote took place during the Travel Air days." It didn't fail because of a lack of success by the Teamsters at NJA, we had not even begun negotiations on the contract at the time. How can you measure success that way and use it as an excuse for a failed vote? Our old MEC is gone and so is the old union! Strong Union was formed by the pilot group and to this day is funded by the pilot group until we have our own Local. NJA pilots have overcome some huge hurdles despite the company, MEC and Local. If we can overcome those 3 major things, a small pilot group of 900 or so should be able to send in a DAM card. It's your future and time is ticking!

As I stated, "It was MY guess". Just a guess because I didn't work for Travel Air. Your "original" contract was what many consider "sub-par". In pay, it definately was, you deserve to be paid more than you are. But, in the same breath, it is a contract and what you have is yours, it can't be taken away. I would say that it is a double-edge sword. The fact is, I sent in my card over 2 years ago. We haven't heard anything from Don T. since March 4, 2004.

I can not force each pilot to sign a card and send it in. They will have to make the decision themselves, which shouldn't be hard to do considering the state of things at FLOPS.

I just don't understand the mentality of some people who belittle others on this board. When is the "mine's bigger than yours" kindergarden mentality going to change? If the pilot groups are divided, then management wins.

I wasn't trying to belittle you at all. I agree about the unity issue and NJA pilots are more united now than they have ever been. The contract we have in my opinion is not a double edged sword at all. The only way it can be changed is through negotiations or a legal job action. There are many things that need to be changed in it, but we are protected against any last minute decisions by management to change our work rules and pay (even though it sucks). One more thing about our current contract, it was ratified in 1998. Most of the guys who ratified it are/were working for the airlines and some came back to NJA after 9/11. I would hate to see 900+ pilots lose their jobs overnight because management isn't being truthful. If you are organized, it may make life a little easier if you were to be aquired by another company.

Live4flyng said:
I wasn't trying to belittle you at all. I agree about the unity issue and NJA pilots are more united now than they have ever been. The contract we have in my opinion is not a double edged sword at all. The only way it can be changed is through negotiations or a legal job action. There are many things that need to be changed in it, but we are protected against any last minute decisions by management to change our work rules and pay (even though it sucks). One more thing about our current contract, it was ratified in 1998. Most of the guys who ratified it are/were working for the airlines and some came back to NJA after 9/11. I would hate to see 900+ pilots lose their jobs overnight because management isn't being truthful. If you are organized, it may make life a little easier if you were to be aquired by another company.

I agree. I hope others will wake up soon and join reality.

Flightbag said:
Hey FracCapt:

I also hope I meet you on the road. I prefer face to face meetings myself. What do you fly?

Hawker. Sometimes the 800, sometimes the XP. If you see a guy with a nearly shaved head(think first day in boot camp haircut) in a FLOPS Hawker, come on over and see if it's me.

or

look for a guy with longer black hair with a bad attitude in a flops hawker. I'd like a word with you as well.

You guys won't get an answer; the booze has worn off by now.

Hey FracCapt & hawkercpt:

I'll look for both of your bad asses. We should be able to have a meaningful conversation.

I can certainly understand the bad attiude. I'd have a bad attitude also if I were you. The difference is, I would attempt to do something about it.

Flightbag

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back