• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Today's Wallstreet Journal, page B3...Union Strong

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
"Crewfood dude" was several years ago.... Pervis was referring to the 5 crewmembers terminated within the last year - you know the ones listed as "hostages" by the Eboard.....

Enjoying your little game of misdirection?

None of the 5 have gone to arbitration yet. So using that bracket and then saying the Union has not lost an arbitration is misleading since your score is 0 for 0.

Misdirection? I think not. Just the facts please. I will decide for myself, thank you very much.

None of the 5 have gone to arbitration yet. So using that bracket and then saying the Union has not lost an arbitration is misleading since your score is 0 for 0.

Misdirection? I think not. Just the facts please. I will decide for myself, thank you very much.
0 for 0? Didn't the Facebook crew get their jobs back?

Sorry, more specifically - didn't the Facebook crewmember who was fired get his job back and wasn't the Warning Letter filed for the other crewmember expunged?

0 for 0? Didn't the Facebook crew get their jobs back?

I am pretty sure only one was terminated not both. That pilot was never declared a hostage. That termination was long before the current EBoard with the SU EBoard filing the case. The legal team got his job back not the EBoard, they just filed the paperwork and the current EBoard just happen to be on duty at the time. That case generated the "strike the arbitrator" and the crazy "dissenting position paper" from the company on the arbitration decision.

The same legal team lost Crewfood dude case under the SU EBoard. They also lost the case regarding the at will employee management pilot under the current EBoard. Draw the starting line where you want and declare your own win - loss percent. Does not really matter as each case is different so past performance is no guarantee of anything.

I am pretty sure only one was terminated not both. That pilot was never declared a hostage.

Looks like our posts crossed.... yes, there was only one Facebook crewmember who was terminated, but the Union did win the arbitration for his partner getting the Warning Letter expunged. (sounds like 2 victories to me)

I thought the roster of hostages based on recent terminations was "Facebook", "Out of Uniform", "ACP", "Missed Connection", then the most recent case (details have yet to be released so no catchy nickname yet..) If "Facebook" is not on that list, "Crewfood" (who was terminated many years earlier) is certainly not.

The same legal team lost Crewfood dude case under the SU EBoard. They also lost the management case regarding the at will employee pilot under the current EBoard. Draw the starting line where you want and declare your own win - loss percent.

This discussion was started by the statement you made that Union hostage arbitration victories were 0-0.

...saying the Union has not lost an arbitration is misleading since your score is 0 for 0....

I don't think which legal team argues a case has anything to do with hostage classification. Are we not the same Union regardless?

Last edited:
The two most recent cases heard by an arbitrator were victories, and two more were agreed to and scheduled but canceled at the last minute by the company. I am not talking about cases from many years ago.

The management pilot case is proceeding to a higher level than the grievance process, although the CBA seems clear that if management decides a management pilot will not be allowed to return to the line, he is no longer protected by the union. Still rather bogus. BTW, this no doubt includes ACPs, voluntary or permanent.

PRBs are up 400% this year. CPs are calling pilots inquiring about fatigue and mx issues. FMs are calling FBOs to check on the location of the crews. Does that appear to be anything like past practice? Does anything here stink of mass intimidation? Even during the 2004-2005 period, the EMT did not stoop to such levels. Read the book-confessions of a union buster. This is verse, line, and chapter out of the book.

Yip, no question some come across as more agressive than others in union matters, but your assessment here is way off. At least with the unions at NJA. People are trying to educate those who live in fear of any action their management threatens. Even when those threats are so far fetched and unlikely as to be laughable. However, after the dust settles, those same people have no trouble enjoying the gains those willing to fight for achieve.

We are not being unreasonable, as some in our senior management portray. Some examples:

Management wants concessions across the board, and has refused to come to any compromise to date. These include reduction in compensation, increased employee contribution to the cost of healthcare (our current deductibles and copays are indeed contribution), agreement from union employees to not cross other union picket lines, reduction in earned sick days, degraded after midnight language, zero COLA, and other unreasonable demands in a time of record profits.

Our third quarter results are in. In spite of huge increases in the use of vendor aircraft and the purchase of new equipment, our profits rose by 8% while our debt has been slashed. Additionally, management wants to lower our fees so lower level millionaires can afford us by taking from those that can least afford it. In other words, they want us to subsidize the uber rich.

Management insults employees to their faces. Ask the FAs, or the guy that was insulted in SAV because he has been with us for 35 years and clearly has no ambition. Dedication means nothing to people like our senior managers.

Management considers us part time employees, in spite of 80+ hours of duty in a tour, not to mention separation from home and family 24/7 for that tour.

Management directs HR staff to perpetuate the lie that the Cadillac Plan tax burden from the ACA will cost the company huge sums of money. We don't come near the threashold for said taxes.

Management uses intimidation, coersion, threats, insults, reprisals and any means they see fit to destroy morale and unity in all groups employed by NJA, union or not.

Pilots are being called and asked about why they fatigued, in spilte of our "no harm no foul, best policy in the industry" claims. A simple review of the schedule, or a look at the required URP report would speak volumes. The calls are simply an intimidation tactic.

Pilots are being questioned about mx issues discovered during pre and post flight. Again in an attempt to intimidate pilots into flying broken aircraft.

We have a hostage situation ongoing, and while some think those terminated must have deserved it, we have won every arbitration case to date. Why do you think they postponed the last two cases already agreed to and scheduled?

Working conditions have reached the level of a hostile working environment under any definition of the term. This is not very bright considering the effect on safety, much less efficiency.

Our goals are simply to be treated with the respect we have earned while building this company and to be well compensated for those efforts. We do, after all, safely and efficiently carry the wealthiest and most powerful people on the planet. Not unreasonable at all, and requires resolve on our part to make it happen.

Yip, and my amigo G4,

Read this post again. Pervis GETS IT. This post is a great summation of the current situation.

Two years ago, if you had asked me if I would ever walk circles with a sign, I would have told you to seek an immediate drug test. But that is EXACTLY what I will be doing this weekend.

Jordan Hansell has GOT TO GO and the ONLY way this company and our jobs can be saved will be to EMBARRASS Omaha to the point that a change is made. Both in "leadership" and management philosophy.

If the company burns down, it will be WB's fault, not the union's.

Yip, and my amigo G4,

Read this post again. Pervis GETS IT. This post is a great summation of the current situation.

Two years ago, if you had asked me if I would ever walk circles with a sign, I would have told you to seek an immediate drug test. But that is EXACTLY what I will be doing this weekend.

Jordan Hansell has GOT TO GO and the ONLY way this company and our jobs can be saved will be to EMBARRASS Omaha to the point that a change is made. Both in "leadership" and management philosophy.

Why would you wan to embarrass Obama?

Yip, and my amigo G4,

Pervis makes good posts, but this one seems to be overstated and inflammatory, with all due respect to Pervis. Hansell needs to go, along with his lawyer friends and the accountants he spawned, however. As for the walking in circles with a sign, why don't we wait for the actual new contract offering before we respond?

Latest resources

Back