• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Today's USA Today (July 22), Page 5b

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I would say you are incorrect in that assumption propagated by a less than truthful union. The plane was fixed. It didn't take a temper tantrum to have that happen. All it took was a captain calmly and professionally asking for the service.

The captain in question is one of the union people advocating for an ill advised safety campaign in an attempt to bring leverage to the negotiating table. This stunt was pulled in furtherence of that campaign.

As a long time union volunteer - not for the USAPA outfit - I can say without reservation that most pilots at our airline stand in abhorrance at the level some here are willing to stoop. Using the safety card is about as low as you can go in furtherence of a political goal.

Never mind. My family won't be on a USAIR jet anytime soon. I find it hard to believe that your union would buy an ad like that and not be factual. So easy to disprove...go ahead and do so. By the way, I will default on the side of safety every time. What about you?

Using the safety card is about as low as you can go in furtherence of a political goal.

I don't know enough about what went down to have an opinion, but you are spot on there. Using the safety card to further politcal goals in the way USAPA seems to be doing undermines safety for everyone. It turns pilot unions into the "the boy who cries wolf" and destroys much needed credibility at the expense of everyone.
If that is what USAPA is doing there simply are no words to describe how low they have sunk.

So, you KNOW all the facts?

No I don't, nor did I say I did. I said I find it hard to believe that a union would put out an ad that inflammatory w/o there being some merit to the discussion. Mind you I am not particularly a union advocate. But, until USAIR mgt puts out their side, I will stick with my view point.
Sounds like you do KNOW all the facts. Put 'em out here.

Hyped and exaggerated political ploy using safety as a tool for Date of Hire leverage. USAPA finds a new low.

GREAT Job guys and gals. Burn the place down. That'l show um.

Bus

Obvious the place isn't worth working for, so maybe it SHOULd go out of business...less capacity in the system and more
Profit for the rest of the industry.

...but apparently her F/O and two other CREWS felt the same way. Maybe you should reconsider.

That's not good enough for some west pilots. Maintenance replaced a battery bus but that's not good enough either. Ya we want to burn the place down and be unemployed..ya that's it. Management has no tactics at all they just want to give the pilots a raise but mean old USAPA wont let them. Only USAPA has some tactics called safety, all management is smart enough to do is have maintenance done after 6 pilots demanded it. History shows that the AWA pilots had Parker by the balls through their vastly superior ALPA. We all know they were the highest paid with the best benies so we easties should bow down to them and do exactly what they tell us to do. NOT!

It would help if the pilots involved understood the electrical system of the airplane. There was nothing wrong with the the bus. Of course, that speaks to training and that is a much more developing serious issue than safety at the airline.

Latest resources

Back