• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To type or not to type that is the question? SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No, it's not. Southwest doesn't care where you get the type. Save your money and spend it on quality interview prep.

so is higher power worth the extra $2350 over say pan am?

IMHO, no. But the 737 was my 3rd "big" airplane after several jets.

If you really need a "nuts and bolts" explanation I've heard that HP is the best. OTOH, if this is the 12th type you'll put on you're certificate ... probably not so much.

if the 737 is your first "big" airplane I think you should seriously consider your options and where your money is best spent. The type doesn't seem to increase your chances of getting hired, but it does shorten the time frame from interview to "hired".

Don't throw money at any company thinking it will get you hired. What you do every day will get you hired.

Just my .02$ your mileage may vary. I interviewed without the type and went with the cheapest type I could find ... it was never a topic of conversation.

Type will go away

We will not end up type-rating all AAI guys that need it...way too expensive. At some point during this process, we will get rid of the type rating because we will have guys on property without a type rating. When will that happen? Will the type rating always be an advantage?

Also heard from credible sources that the type rec is going away. It's not saving the
Company the insurance money it used to.

It's not going to be a scarlet letter, but you will be asked about it in subsequent interviews and you will have to factor it into your interview strategy. If you're interviewing with Alaska, Delta, United, etc you're not going to be able to tell them they were your first choice airline.

To add a little flesh and reality to your post.

A buddy (Guido the killer pimp) had a 737 type when he interviewed at AirTran. The interviewer asked a hypothetical question:

Interviewer: I see you have a 737 type. Are you interested in Southwest ?

Guido: I think SouthWest is a great airline, however I got the 73 type using my GA money. I thought it would make me more competitive.

Interviewer: Do you think Southwest would hire you ?

Guido: No. I think they would be afraid that i'd leave them for AirTran.

It's a true story. The interviewer laughed at the answer and hired him. He's an ex Navy pilot, extremely qualified and a great guy.

I'm sure that you get the point. The same conversation could have gone on at any interview for any major airline. The results may vary.

Any airline that won't hire you because you try to improve your qualifications and experience is not a place that I want to work. It shows their lack of corporate self esteem ..... IMHO.

Latest resources

Back