• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To type or not to type that is the question? SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
ok now is it worth spending the extra money to go to higher power? or will the less expensive places get the job done?

ok, lets say i get the type and don't make it past the interview. is it a scarlet letter to have a 737 type rating and have to apply elsewhere because your first choice doesn't like you?

On the Delta App. they ask whether you have a 737 Type rating. I wonder if answering "Yes" gives you positive or negative points on their application. Made me wonder why they didn't ask if you have an MD-80 type or a 75/76 type. One would think that the question is there for a reason...

ATR42,

I have a slightly different view.

Getting the type is a very personal decision. IMHO you need to consider your overall qualifications, job prospects and even personality type.

Some characterize it as a "little" gamble, but it can be a significant investment, depending on your situation. Having that much money on the line might make you nervous, or it might make you more confident.

In any case it does NOT guarantee a job.

It doesn't matter where you get it. Best of luck.

Wait the type till they reopen the online application window. With the Aitran deal life will change in the People Department for pilot apps. It may not be required for employment any longer. If you do go get it now, ass kissing may be all you get out of the deal to hardcore SWA guys.

ok, lets say i get the type and don't make it past the interview. is it a scarlet letter to have a 737 type rating and have to apply elsewhere because your first choice doesn't like you?

That's all in how you answer the question- but to my knowledge is basically urban legend- no basis in fact from actual recruiters--

My experience is dated- but every recruiter I've talked to expressed some variation of the following question: "why would you not make yourself as qualified as possible?- it's applicable to most every major AND qualifies you for a good job-- I haven't met a recruiter that doesn't want ambitious pilots- contrary to popular belief, they aren't scared of southwest poaching pilots-

It's not going to be a scarlet letter, but you will be asked about it in subsequent interviews and you will have to factor it into your interview strategy. If you're interviewing with Alaska, Delta, United, etc you're not going to be able to tell them they were your first choice airline.

Get the type...
I went to Higher Power. Great experience....3 of 17 were hired the day I interviewed....I was the only one hired with a type already on my ticket. We are all based in DAL. Of the 3 of us....I am the only one with Christmas and Thanksgiving off the last 3 years. They were 5 classes behind me. A day can mean the difference between a 10 year upgrade and a 17 year upgrade in this industry. I don't think the type is the scarlet letter it once was. Good luck. Everyone that wants to go down the path of trying for SWA has to make their own mind up on which way to go on this one. I am a gambling man...won this bet....so far.

Spoke with the Chiefs when we had gound time in PHX. They pretty much said to get the type for the near term. However they believe that it's going to go away. FWIW

Latest resources

Back