To type or not to type that is the question? SWA

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

atr42flyer

Just wanted to get a discussion going on to see if it's a good idea to buy a 737 type rating? I would love to work at SWA, rumor has it they will need a bunch more new hires even after the tranny deal is done. It would be nice to be interviewed early on ( if I can get one). I know there are a lot of people on the street that have a 737 type so the odds of getting an interview with out one are nil I would think.

Greetings-

while i agree that it is a risk getting they type rating, it will help getting an earlier class date if you are hired, and have one in hand.

i interviewed in May 2007, groundschool Oct 2007. guys that interviewed with me, and had to get their type didn't get to groundschool for almost a year later.

good luck,
NAV

Get it- it's not the $15k and 3 weeks it used to be- you can knock it out w/ home study, $5k and less than a week- most of my peers spent a lot more on instructor ratings most of us only used for a year or two. If you don't when many of the interview pilots DID go through the longer expensive processes...that says a LOT

The stack of applications with a 73-type has always been MUCH shorter than the stack of non-type applications. If you are exceptionally well qualified (astronaut) or connected (Tanker Clown :rolleyes:) then maybe you can get the interview w/o the type. If not...well...the shorter stack is where I'd rather be.

The stack of applications with a 73-type has always been MUCH shorter than the stack of non-type applications. If you are exceptionally well qualified (astronaut) or connected (Tanker Clown :rolleyes:) then maybe you can get the interview w/o the type. If not...well...the shorter stack is where I'd rather be.

And just when might one be able to add to that pile (i.e. when will the app open)?

To the OP:

I have absolutely no regrets about getting the type. It was by far one of the most enjoyable experiences I had. I did it with HPA about a month ago.

ok, lets say i get the type and don't make it past the interview. is it a scarlet letter to have a 737 type rating and have to apply elsewhere because your first choice doesn't like you?

And just when might one be able to add to that pile (i.e. when will the app open)?

I thought 1Q'11, but maybe Chase or someone else closer to the People Dept can be more precise?

Congrats on the 73-type! Mark S. & company still running a quality operation, I hope?

I thought 1Q'11, but maybe Chase or someone else closer to the People Dept can be more precise?

Congrats on the 73-type! Mark S. & company still running a quality operation, I hope?

Thank you, on both accounts!

Mark and co. are still running a most excellent operation. I was very impressed with everything. They do a great job at keeping your eye on the prize (SWA).

ok, lets say i get the type and don't make it past the interview. is it a scarlet letter to have a 737 type rating and have to apply elsewhere because your first choice doesn't like you?

I think this has become more of an urban legend, than fact. And not to be flip, but if another carrier has such an inferiority complex that they actually WOULD hold it against you, you'd probably be happier not working for them in the long run.

Last edited:
If you have the means to do it, and have a little gamble in you - get the type. Hopefully, and most likely, we will only interivew pilots with the type before we even consider the stack w/o a 737 type.

Latest resources

Back