Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HawkerF/O said:
Correct
some people actually enjoy flying an airplane that was designed to be flown, not monitored. A GV or IV is much more efficient when flown via automation. .

not exactly---you can hand fly all the gulfstream products to your hearts content. no diff than any of the others airplanes out there. it is all personal preference. the biggest diff is a G can go very long distances. doesn't have to-but it can. a hawker can't (get out of its own way:pimp: ).

semperfido said:
not exactly---you can hand fly all the gulfstream products to your hearts content. no diff than any of the others airplanes out there. it is all personal preference. the biggest diff is a G can go very long distances. doesn't have to-but it can. a hawker can't (get out of its own way:pimp: ).
Did you not read what I wrote? I never suggested you can't fly Gulfstream products by hand. What I said is that Gs (modern day Gs) were designed to use and are more efficient when automation (automagic) is used and flown by the computer. The Gs in question were designed to fly long distances, Lears, Hawkers, etc were not. Hawkers and Gs are not even in the same class or competitors, so why have you brought up Hawkers? In closing, I don't fly Hawkers.

HawkerF/O said:
I rather fly a LR60 than a gulfstream for the reasons you mentioned. It outclimbs, out manuvers, is more efficient than any G.
You've got to be joking. I think the 60 is pretty cool looking, but its wing is too small and the brakes are pathetic (lets see your climb performance above FL410 or your takeoff performance hot and high). If you've never flown a GV, you shouldn't speak about its handling characteristics. Best I've ever seen.
it's costs you more to land and park, in order to go the same distance, you have to take on much more fuel and that makes any quick turn longer.
No, it doesn't cost me a penny. Purchasing more fuel is again ignorant. I can fly to the West Coast, not fuel a drop, and fly on further than your total range.
cool destinations,: I can assure you the is no airport a G goes into that a LR, Cit, or Hawker can't get into. FOr that matter, why not take a GLEX instead of a G?
Yes, you can land at MOST airports a GV can, you just can't get there.
flight attendant,: Who cares about a F/A.
Don't knock it until you've tried one.

Ace

Falcon Capt said:
Planes are cool... My kids are cooler...

Don't get me wrong, I love to fly, but it really is just a job... After a while, once the novelty wears off, QoL is far more important than the machine you are flying...

Then why aren't you flying a Citation or a King Air? As a matter of fact, why don't you have a job that gets you home EVERY night.

My kids are grown and gone. I was a good father to them even though I was gone for weeks at a time. When I was home I was there 100%. That has paid off 100 fold. I had a job that I loved and they could see that. Now they are pursuing what they love. Good seed to plant and a good balance to have in life.

Ace

"Don't knock it until you've tried one."
Ace

That's my problem, I tried one.
An old chief pilot of mine, told me as a young FO to never mess around with the FAs........I wish I would have took his advice.......

SCT

Ace-of-the-Base said:
You've got to be joking. I think the 60 is pretty cool looking, but its wing is too small and the brakes are pathetic (lets see your climb performance above FL410 or your takeoff performance hot and high).
Let's see your climb performance upto FL410! The LR60 can be at FL430 and on speed in less than 13 minutes. The GV can do that? Above FL430, the 60 is a dog, but it really has no practical purpose for going above 430. It just slows down, but if fuel is tight, you have to go up there.

Ace-of-the-Base said:
If you've never flown a GV, you shouldn't speak about its handling characteristics. Best I've ever seen.
I understand that Gulfstreams are a very stable platform, but that 60 is like a fighter. It's size alone won't allow it to manuver as tight as the 60. I am not saying it's a poor flying airplane, I am just saying it is not as nimble as the 60, or any well thrusted smaller jet aircraft for that matter. And what is "Best you have ever flown" is a matter of opinion. There is a GV pilot out there that does not share your same thoughts. It's all opinion.

Ace-of-the-Base said:
No, it doesn't cost me a penny. Purchasing more fuel is again ignorant. I can fly to the West Coast, not fuel a drop, and fly on further than your total range.
It takes fuel to carry fuel. Tankering is a viable options at times, but most of the time, it is not as efficient as not doing so. You are only looking at your direct costs, not the indirect costs. I have an excel program that is excellent at determining what it costs to carry that extra fuel. If you'd like a copy, let me know. So, it does in fact cost you $ to tanker fuel.
Ace-of-the-Base said:
Yes, you can land at MOST airports a GV can, you just can't get there.
What airport can that G get to that a LR60, Hawker 800, or Citation X cannot? Answer that carefully.
Ace-of-the-Base said:
Don't knock it until you've tried one.
Well, depending on how you mean, I have had my fair share of F/As. The 2 from SWA were my favorite. In terms of professionally, in your previous posts you mentioned 2 reasons for having a F/A: to bring you food and to listen to your jokes.
Ace-of-the-Base said:
I LOVE having a flight attendant. Good food and someone new to listen to my stupid jokes.
I don't think those are good reasons for having a Flight Attendent on board.

HawkerF/O said:
Let's see your climb performance upto FL410! The LR60 can be at FL430 and on speed in less than 13 minutes. The GV can do that? Above FL430, the 60 is a dog, but it really has no practical purpose for going above 430. It just slows down, but if fuel is tight, you have to go up there.

I understand that Gulfstreams are a very stable platform, but that 60 is like a fighter. It's size alone won't allow it to maneuver as tight as the 60. I am not saying it's a poor flying airplane, I am just saying it is not as nimble as the 60, or any well thrusted smaller jet aircraft for that matter. And what is "Best you have ever flown" is a matter of opinion. There is a GV pilot out there that does not share your same thoughts. It's all opinion.

It takes fuel to carry fuel. Tankering is a viable options at times, but most of the time, it is not as efficient as not doing so. You are only looking at your direct costs, not the indirect costs. I have an excel program that is excellent at determining what it costs to carry that extra fuel. If you'd like a copy, let me know. So, it does in fact cost you $ to tanker fuel.
What airport can that G get to that a LR60, Hawker 800, or Citation X cannot? Answer that carefully.
Well, depending on how you mean, I have had my fair share of F/As. The 2 from SWA were my favorite. In terms of professionally, in your previous posts you mentioned 2 reasons for having a F/A: to bring you food and to listen to your jokes. I don't think those are good reasons for having a Flight Attendent on board.

Time to climb to FL410? Got you beat. Especially if we fuel to the same range.

Nimble? I've flown the 60, got you beat there too. Pretty impressive if you think about how much larger the GV is than the 60. This is mostly created by the angle of deflection of the ailerons prior to the spoilers joining in.

Airports? Plane can go coast to coast from a 3,000 foot runway. Can yours? Look up the BFLs and you'll change your tune. While your at it, look up power to weight ratios of the two planes, then figure it our with 5 hours of fuel. You won't be so impressed by your 60s 'power'.

If you had ever flown a Gulfstream, you would know that they publish a very sophisticated tankering formula. The GV is very efficient and its wing can carry alot of fuel with very little degradation in performance.

As you said in another post, you've learned alot from watching other pros. Keep it up!

Ace

Latest resources

Back