To the Gulfstream crew at TEB...

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
HawkerF/O said:
flying a B200 around the Midwest and the boss goes only if I want to and I make 150K with a 12K car allowence, I fly 8 days a month, but if I want to fly more the boss tells me to take the airplane and go practice, boss does not believe in taking a trip unless it is scheduled 4 weeks in advance (never on weekends or holdays, just Tue-Thurs) and to top it all off, 30K bonus December 1st every year.
SIGN ME UP! (But only if the $30K bonus is in cash!)

Falcon Capt said:
SIGN ME UP! (But only if the $30K bonus is in cash!)
LOL. No kidding! Bring a lunch, cause you'll have to fight me for it, or maybe you wouldn't, cause neither of us would have told the other about it! There is some lucky sap out there who has a job like that, but once again, we'll never know.............

Gulfstream 200 said:
big paycheck in a Citation I as opposed to crap money in a G550?

just not how it works pounder.

Now, one can argue they like to stay home more and love the Citation, but they are usually full of crap and would jump on the opportunity to fly a G5 for a good company and make G money.

I know that, silly, I was trying to make a point that most people go where the money and the QOL are, not the aircraft type. Of course the G550 guy is going to make more then the Citation 1 guy.

Groundpounder said:
I know that, silly, I was trying to make a point that most people go where the money and the QOL are, not the aircraft type. Of course the G550 guy is going to make more then the Citation 1 guy.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again, even though it will make me even less poplular.

Anyone who would rather fly a Citation than a GV is either clueless or not a 'real' aviator. Fly what you love. Who wouldn't love things like: performance, technology, size, cool destinations, flight attendant, etc. Remember folks, that is why we became pilots. That is why we flip through the pages of all the flying rags. Not for the money or the QOL. We love airplanes. And I, for one, want to fly one of the best.

Now I know that some have other priorities in their lives that prevent them from being gone alot and that a CJ job is a good balance for them, but I still bet they drool over the big, cool Gulfstreams, Falcons and Globals they see in the mags.

Don't make this job about JUST money and time off. It can be so much more.

Ace

Ace-of-the-Base said:
I've said this before, and I'll say it again, even though it will make me even less poplular.

Anyone who would rather fly a Citation than a GV is either clueless or not a 'real' aviator. Fly what you love. Who wouldn't love things like: performance, technology, size, cool destinations, flight attendant, etc. Remember folks, that is why we became pilots. That is why we flip through the pages of all the flying rags. Not for the money or the QOL. We love airplanes. And I, for one, want to fly one of the best.

Now I know that some have other priorities in their lives that prevent them from being gone alot and that a CJ job is a good balance for them, but I still bet they drool over the big, cool Gulfstreams, Falcons and Globals they see in the mags.

Don't make this job about JUST money and time off. It can be so much more.

Ace

eeh...not so fast...i don't want to fly a 747 or a 737 or a 777 (they are bigger etc). and who cares about FAs--we frequently fly our Gs without one and I don't miss that a bit--in fact , many times it is an improvement :eek: . you need to recognize that many people are content doing what they are doing, no matter what particular brand they may be flying. i do like being able to watch Direct TV while sitting on the ramp. :)

Ok, Ace, time for your spanking. And you are not allowed to enjoy it!

I have no desire to fly a Gulfstream. My company owns one and I've turned the position down a few times. It just doesn't do the trips I like to do. I like to FLY, not watch the autopilot fly for 10 hours at a time. I've flown larger airplanes (737-200) and really enjoyed it, but only when the length of the flights was no longer than an hour. Yes, you read that correctly, I had a 737 job that enabled me to do the flying I love - lots of takeoffs and landings, almost always hand flying, usually 20 to 40 minute legs. Unfortunately the pay and QOL (psysicx where are you?) disappeared so then so did I.

But I do agree that the job is about more than money and time off. That's why I fly an airplane that gives me the type of flying I love - short hops, usually an hour or two, mostly on the West Coast. If I could find another gig in a large aircraft that never flew legs over two hours, I'd be all over it. Oh, and no overnights too. And only working Tuesday. Morning, that is.

Besides, I knew you were talking about me in your exception list :)

English said:
Ok, Ace, time for your spanking. And you are not allowed to enjoy it!

I have no desire to fly a Gulfstream. My company owns one and I've turned the position down a few times. It just doesn't do the trips I like to do. I like to FLY, not watch the autopilot fly for 10 hours at a time. I've flown larger airplanes (737-200) and really enjoyed it, but only when the length of the flights was no longer than an hour. Yes, you read that correctly, I had a 737 job that enabled me to do the flying I love - lots of takeoffs and landings, almost always hand flying, usually 20 to 40 minute legs. Unfortunately the pay and QOL (psysicx where are you?) disappeared so then so did I.

But I do agree that the job is about more than money and time off. That's why I fly an airplane that gives me the type of flying I love - short hops, usually an hour or two, mostly on the West Coast. If I could find another gig in a large aircraft that never flew legs over two hours, I'd be all over it. Oh, and no overnights too. And only working Tuesday. Morning, that is.

Besides, I knew you were talking about me in your exception list :)

I've already told you, I'd give up my gig in a NY minute to fly a CJ with you.

I hear what you're saying, but two things to think about.

Your Gulfstream is only a GIII. Great plane, but not very tech.
The current numbers published by GAC put the average leg length in a GV at 1.7 hours. Yes we do SOME long legs (which get you to some pretty cool parts of the world), but we also do alot of short hops. I too like to hand fly (I have very nice hands).

Ace

semperfido said:
eeh...not so fast...i don't want to fly a 747 or a 737 or a 777 (they are bigger etc). and who cares about FAs--we frequently fly our Gs without one and I don't miss that a bit--in fact , many times it is an improvement :eek: . you need to recognize that many people are content doing what they are doing, no matter what particular brand they may be flying. i do like being able to watch Direct TV while sitting on the ramp. :)

I LOVE having a flight attendant. Good food and someone new to listen to my stupid jokes.

As for the airliners, they don't thrill me either. If they did, I'd be trying to fly one.

Don't get me wrong, I don't just love Gulfstreams. Even that Citation X looks pretty sexy.

Ace

Planes are cool... My kids are cooler...

Don't get me wrong, I love to fly, but it really is just a job... After a while, once the novelty wears off, QoL is far more important than the machine you are flying...

Ace-of-the-Base said:
Correct
Ace-of-the-Base said:
Anyone who would rather fly a Citation than a GV is either clueless or not a 'real' aviator.
That is just not true. Like previosuly mentioned, some people actually enjoy flying an airplane that was designed to be flown, not monitored. A GV or IV is much more efficient when flown via automation. That's fine, and we should all appreciate the technological advances aviation creates, but to suggest one is not a "Real" aviatior becasue they enjoy flying, actually doing the flying, is way out of line.
Ace-of-the-Base said:
Fly what you love.
I rather fly a LR60 than a gulfstream for the reasons you mentioned. It outclimbs, out manuvers, is more efficient than any G.
Who wouldn't love things like: performance, :We already covered that
technology,: The 60 is very advanced. Not as advanced, but it gets the job done as well as the G minus the Autothrottles. In terms of situational awareness, it delivers the same picture, just on smaller screens and through another format (Collins as opposed to Honeywell, but hey are both fine packages)
size,: You impress the line guys that are new, it's costs you more to land and park, in order to go the same distance, you have to take on much more fuel and that makes any quick turn longer.
cool destinations,: I can assure you the is no airport a G goes into that a LR, Cit, or Hawker can't get into. FOr that matter, why not take a GLEX instead of a G?
flight attendant,: Who cares about a F/A. True, they are there for the PAX's safety, but the world would still operate without onboard.
Ace-of-the-Base said:
Remember folks, that is why we became pilots. That is why we flip through the pages of all the flying rags. Not for the money or the QOL. We love airplanes. And I, for one, want to fly one of the best.
Not me. I am lazy, greedy, and stupid and this was the only job I could find that met all of those pre-quals. :)

Ace-of-the-Base said:
We all have our own opinions, and what is cool to me might not be cool to you and vise-versa. The statement about drool is is pretty arrogant

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back