• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To the Avantair guys/gals

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Is there a pilot/check airman with the initials J.F. still working at Avantair? Lives/lived in southwest Florida. I used to fly the J-31 with him.

Looks like a nice ride to me... You certainly would be popular on any ramp. Hopefully the pay will get better with time (the fact that you upgrade quickly does help).

Well it isn't popular with many flyers cause it doesn't look like a normal airplane... that is why most charter companies avoid it even though it has good numbers. Most NORMAL people want to fly something that looks like an airplane - at least when their life is on the line...

Besides Props are for boats!

Well it isn't popular with many flyers cause it doesn't look like a normal airplane... that is why most charter companies avoid it even though it has good numbers. Most NORMAL people want to fly something that looks like an airplane - at least when their life is on the line...

Wake up, and get a clue..

Riiiiiiiiiiight. :rolleyes: And that is why we keep selling more and more shares/charter cards quarter after quarter.

Wake up, and get a clue..

Go to the Bat Cave. Sit on your sled. Breath deeply to fully enjoy the smell of the burned two-stroke oil. Snow's almost here. Take another deep breath. Ahhhhh....

I can't believe that you and Geronimo took the bait from this guy and his prop-envy. Sheeesh....

Having been here for years, i'll sum it up this way for prospective new hires - great plane, descent management (they promote from within to the point of In-breeding - K.B. is the only bright spot IMO), avg pay, horrible medical IF you have the family plan. Single plan cost is minimal.
My biggest problem has and will always be the performance issue. Be prepared for a half dozen phone calls when you take a look at performance out of a short or hot/high runway and say "i dont like this.." The cowboy mentality is alive and well here, and they dont want to hear about such folly as accel/go or accel/stop. They'll tell you that as a part 23 plane its not a required calculation so "dont worry about it"
And the latest brain child?? 150% of take off roll as the only criteria?? I dont even wanna think about who's butt they pulled that one out of. You decide for yourself if you're comfortable with that opinion or not before you say yes to a job offer.

Last edited:
Having been here for years, i'll sum it up this way for prospective new hires - great plane, descent management (they promote from within to the point of In-breeding - K.B. is the only bright spot IMO), avg pay, horrible medical IF you have the family plan. Single plan cost is minimal.
My biggest problem has and will always be the performance issue. Be prepared for a half dozen phone calls when you take a look at performance out of a short or hot/high runway and say "i dont like this.." The cowboy mentality is alive and well here, and they dont want to hear about such folly as accel/go or accel/stop. They'll tell you that as a part 23 plane its not a required calculation so "dont worry about it"
And the latest brain child?? 150% of take off roll as the only criteria?? I dont even wanna think about who's butt they pulled that one out of. You decide for yourself if you're comfortable with that opinion or not before you say yes to a job offer.
Am I crazy, or does that sound crazy?

Crazy? No .... just ignorant in that aspect. My favorite was a quote from an owner some time ago who said -
"I asked about Aspen, Eagle, airports like that and the salesman (he didnt say who) told me 'Oh we love going to those places. Go all the time. This plane can do things jets can't.' "
I damn near flipped when i hear that one. Just know this - the PIC puts his ticket on the line literally when he elects to blow off published performance data because the company says "dont worry about it." While it's entirely true that as a part 23 aircraft can launch legally with only runway length as criteria, therein lies the slippery slope; have an incident or worse where the performance in the POH showed insufficient accel/stop accel/go or obstacle clearance, and that PIC is toast. This is why many of the above board operators who fly king air 90's, 200's (and other part 23 a/c) opt to follow all performance data in their operational calculations. There was a big push almost 2 years ago for flying within these guidelines, and it essentially went nowhere. Such mgmt rational for this includes "its not required," "the window of danger is so small with PT-6's that's its really a non-factor," "if an engine will fail it'll do it on initial power-up," and my personal favorite "you're only missing accel-stop by 600 feet. I'd be comfortable arguing that to the FAA any day." These are all actual quotes rebutting concern for performance with PAX in the past.
So i dunno ....maybe it is crazy. But new pilots, FLYER BEWARE

Latest resources

Back