To Scab Or Not To Scab

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Thanks Boeing!
I do wander what Comair would say if they knew one of their Captains was making death threats on a public forum?

BTW Blade, before you even assume......I am a dues paying, non scabbing union member.

Glad to help........

Boeingman said:
35 you summed that up perfectly. Although I would guess you're wasting your time with that "doorknob".

P.S. Blade, if you want an extra battle star, I'd be happy to sell you mine.

no thanks.. as u said earlier..Another word for scab is opportunist in my book... its not in mine..

Well as a regional pilot and a member of ALPA I can say that unfortunately (as we all know) we will never be fairly represented when it comes to relations with mainline. But I'm also a realist and I know that we at the regional exist to feed mainline. Am I sorry that our mainline brothers and sisters are getting furloughed while our companies continue to get jets and hire? Yes. Am I a supporter of a one-list...well I'm still not sure. But I do know this, ALPA exists at our regional level so we wont be shafted by our own management. I've been a victim of a strike and 2 furloughs. ALPA was kind to me when I was on the street. I also have read "Flying the Line" and I will always support the union. Those of you that are thinking of scabbing even if it means putting food on your childrens plates will be sorry in the long run. I know i'm stepping on a soapbox (a very low-paid regional soapbox at that)but we can't forget what the pilots of years ago and even in the second half of the 20th century have done to make this career (and union) what it is today. Do I want to stay at the regional level? Well that depends. Will I be able to make a decent career and be able to support myself and my eventual family? Then I can be happy flying for a regional. I have dreams of wearing Brown one day but that doesnt mean that I wont stop trying to make my company better for those that will be coming up after me. And I also know that even though, I'm paid p-nuts, I'm still **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** lucky to be where I am.

I'm not that familiar with what's going on at Mesa with the Freedom air situation, but I do hope that it's not going to be an airline flown by scabs. We will never peacefully co-exist with the mainline but I do wish that there would be more combined MEC/LEC meetings with the mainline and their regional counterparts just so that we can both see 'both sides of the fence' and try to make relations better. DON'T SCAB!

Rook
600' AGL Autopilot on.
'WHEW!'
(Putting on my flame-retardant suit)
p.s. someone explain the Mesa/Freedom thing in terms that a Texas boy can understand.

Re: Scabs

Clownpilot said:
It's actually pretty simple.

Scabs always find a way to justify what they're doing.
People have a tendency to do that.
There are other jobs outside of aviation that will put food on the table. It can be done without taking another pilot's job.
I was involved in the hiring process before they shut it down and I will be involved again when things turn around. We never called a pilot for an interview that was a scab. When things start up again we won't call any, and if by some miracle or mistake we do, they won't get any further than the interview.
In other words, if you take a scab job it better be one you want to keep permanently cuz you're staying there.

I couldn't have said that better myself.
Sure, it's tough out there right now. Many of us have children, mortgages, car payments, etc... Who dosen't? There are other jobs (non-aviation related) out there to be had. If you loose your house and automobiles because your unemployment money ran out and you can't pay the bills, that's your own fault for letting it get that far. I have a family myself and lots of bills. I'm charging a $hitload onto my credit card and am working an "hourly job" to pay the bills, but you know what? I will NEVER scab to get a short term job with a company to pay the bills. Freedom undercuts airlines, and will be able to operate for the meantime, but will probably not be around for the long haul. But, if you scab, that will follow you around forever. I'm no fortune teller, but this industry WILL turn around, and like somebody else said, the interview boards are made up of regular joe line pilots and if you are a scab, you will not get an interview at a reputable company. I understand what everyone's saying about how frustrating it is if you're not flying...Heck, I'm not flying right now and it's killing me!!! However, when the airlines start hiring again, I will know in my heart that I will be considered wayyyyyyyy above the scabs. Maybe I should be encouraging people to be scabs so when it's hiring time again, I can be that much ahead. If you work for one of those aformentioned companies, cross a picket line, or scab in any way, you are shooting yourself in the foot.
P.s. In response to the comment on the next reply...There are other instances that will brand you a scab other than crossing the picket line.

Last edited:
As others have alluded to, there does seem to be alot of guys throwing the word "scab" about quite loosely.

Also, to all those offering up the advice not to scab...I didn't realize there were any companies on strike offering anyone the opportunity.

Just as I thought.......Blade went running!
Or perhaps his mom doesn't allow him to use the computer after 8:00pm!!! lol

Scabs

The definition of the word is not the important issue. The degradation suffered by the industry as a whole is the problem. If you go to work for Freedumb or Republik you are thereby lowering the wages management has to offer regional pilots. So you want to feed the kids, a city bus driver makes upwards of $50,000 first year, what does a Freedumb Captain make? Is there any comparison, regarding safety and responsibility, of flying a jet and driving a bus? It may not be a true "brotherhood", but think about the long term livelihood of our industry before you take the job. I truely understand the love of flying for a living, but how can you make a living flying if the kid at T-bell makes more money than you. Definitely don't cross a picket line, but is working for one of the aforementioned companies much different? No matter how you label it, it isn't going to help your family, your career, or "our" industry.

Latest resources

Back