To Scab Or Not To Scab

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
machtuck said:
Take the job, family comes first before anything. They are not scabs.. thats why ALPA has not posted any scab list. I strongly believe in doing whats right, crossing a line and leap frogging the system is wrong and I hate it, but; furloughed, medical bills, benifits, children in school. etc... do what is right for your family, thats where your loyality lies!

You're right on about family loyalty but, I would never work at Freedom. You can do better for your family working just about anywhere else. However, until MESA gets the gumption to strike they have no business calling Freedom pilots Scabs.

Re: Re: What a joke

nimtz said:
Scabs are the guys who almost always end up at the bottom of this profession.

Not in Continentals case.

Our strike was a dismal failure. And don't think for a second ALPA wouldn't of sacrificed every single one of us without shedding a tear.

You young gung ho, regionals guys need a quick reality check, when you get to be my age and have been around the block a few times, you will see what a union is. A union is a business that has to make money to make their pay role, they don't care about you or any one else, they are there to serve one purpose. You maybe willing to sacrifice yourselves "for the betterment of the brother hood" but family comes first. The have been many airlines of the years that gave the union options to not furluogh, how is this you may ask. Here recently an airline told the union that if they could do away with open time then they would be able to keep everyone on pay role, but no, us selfish senior guys had to have our money. I was once an MEC at a major, yes I said MEC. I think many people forget that a union works for you , not you work for the union.

Sounds like "protection" from the union is a lot like "protection" from the mafia. Pay us and we'll offer protection from ourselves. Otherwise we'll make sure you never work in this city (industry) again.
It's illegal for companies to blacklist, and I think its high time for the unions to abide by the same rules. That aside, what kind of HUMAN BEING would call another a "whor," say all scabs should hang for simply accepting the only job available in their profession? On top of that say "a scab is a traitor to his God, his country, his family and his class!"
That is the most hypocritical propoganda I've ever heard! I don't know one single god, besides maybe Satan if you classify him as one, that would perceive this, and NEVER EVER TELL ME MY GOD CONSIDERS THEM A TRAITOR! Anyone who denies another a job at what they love to do only to put more money in their own pockets are traitors to our honorable profession, my God and my Country, where everyone is guaranteed the pursuit of happiness, not just the union members.

fine`

For all of you guys who would scab, I say......................

Just apply to an airline that is non-union. You have no right to come and reep the benefits that a union provided you. If you do come to a union represented airline, please decline membership and just pay the agency shop dues, that way you are on your own for the most part.

I ask some of you "students of the scab", what makes you want to work for an airline like Airtran, Delta, Soutwest etc? Might it be the great benefits and pay scales, the aircraft, the job security? If so how the **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED** do you think these things were accomplished?

It is very troublesome that there are many here who support the idea of scabbing. It is also troubling that only a few have spoken out against it on this forum.

If you future scabs are so "honorable" then let your views be known in your interviews. Do not be a coward and lie!!

Enough of this, I am **CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED****CENSORED**ing disgusted.

When one looks at the scab list and realizes how many of those pilots are former ALPA members, there is something wrong.

As one who honored a picket line, I don't buy into all the rehtoric (from either point of view) and find it amusing the sentiment of those who have never actually been in a strike situation. A lot of bravado here but you never know who will crack or why.

After reading some of these posts and being reminded of the anger almost 20 years ago, I am so glad I have extracated myself from the lockstep mentality that ALPA breeds. Don't get me wrong, this is not a approval in any form for crossing a picket line, but there is more to life than unions, airlines and such.

Our strike was the best thing that could of happened to me. It set me on a course financially that I have no worries about my airline life. This allows me to take this union/airline hype with a grain of salt because, in the long run, it really doesn't make a difference.

One of the first things I found was there were a hell of a lot of people that really don't agree with some rich (their perception) pilot walking off the job. John Q, Public really has little sympathy for our cause and cannot understand the dynamics of our industry. The point I'm trying to make, outside this very small circle of professoinal pilots, the scab pilot is not ostracized to the degree at which you may think. In fact, I found it nearly impossible to find a flying job as a striking pilot. The line about pilots hiring pilots is correct. They are management pilots.

P.S. For those that espouse the Jack London story should do some reasearch on the guy and his views on labor and America
while he was alive. I really don't want him as my spokesman.

Last edited:
beware the scab

Boeingman said:
When one looks at the scab list and realizes how many of those pilots are former ALPA members, there is something wrong.

As one who honored a picket line, I don't buy into all the rehtoric (from either point of view) and find it amusing the sentiment of those who have never actually been in a strike situation. A lot of bravado here but you never know who will crack or why.

After reading some of these posts and being reminded of the anger almost 20 years ago, I am so glad I have extracated myself from the lockstep mentality that ALPA breeds. Don't get me wrong, this is not a approval for crossing a picket line, but there is more to life than unions, airlines and such.

Our strike was the best thing that could of happened to me. It set me on a course financially that have no worries about my airline life. This allows me to take this union/airline hype with a grain of salt so because, in the long run, it really doesn't make a difference.

P.S. For those that espouse the Jack London story should do some reasearch on the guy and his views on labor and America
while he was alive.

Like I said, disgusted. Don't assume who has and hasn't endured a strike. I am glad you "don't need the money" flying provides you, maybe you should consider retirement.

You should introduce a proposal to drop the union at your airline. Good luck with all that.

Re: beware the scab

NYRANGERS said:
Like I said, disgusted. Don't assume who has and hasn't endured a strike. I am glad you "don't need the money" flying provides you, maybe you should consider retirement.

You should introduce a proposal to drop the union at your airline. Good luck with all that.

Maybe you should consider there are points of view other than your own. Especially from someone who lived through a huge ALPA debacle.

Who said I was anti union to drop the union? Pretty ignorant comment. Not surprising though.

Money has nothing to do with why I fly still. I do it because I like it. You one of those opportunists that want senior guys to retire?
Another word for scab is opportunist in my book.

Last edited:
Myopia.

"Hey.. I'll stand shoulder-to-shoulder with all the airline pilots in the world... but at some point, I'm going to be selfish and protect my own interests first."

I understand needing to put food on the table for the kids. But, do you think about feeding them TODAY? or do you think about 5 years from now?
By all means feed them today, but i hope while you're eating with your family you're thinking about your next career.

Latest resources

Back