• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To ALL UNITED pilots courtesy of ALL UAX carriers and their pilots

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Just a point of clarification....UAL does not include the JS in the BOW. The UAL contract stipulates that no UAL pilot will get bumped due to weight and balance. This does not extend to offline jumpseaters.
Also, I understand that UAL used to have priority above other carriers but below DL/DLC on Skywest flights that were in the DL system. That priority was changed to be the same as all other carriers in response to the UAL JSC request.

I was talking to a friend of mine, who is a UAL Dispatcher about this, and his comment was "Why should we fix this issue when no UAL employees will benefit?"

Umm, cuz it is the right thing to do?

Umm, because the current jumpseat agreements and the OMC Cards that currently come out of Apollo arent in sync?

Umm, because nearly every other major that I am aware of has their systems programmed correctly?

What makes UAL so friggin special...?

That arrogance is the reason that I dont OMC on UA if I can at all costs avoid it. He also made the comment that more UAX on UA OMCs will get bumped than UA on UAX if the "ban" goes through. I responded that UAX goes more places than UAL, and UAL doesnt go anywhere that some other "more jumpseat friendly" carrier goes that I am aware of. There are many places one can get only on UAX.

I'm all for captains authority; but whats wrong with having a system that works like its supposed to?

If the situation was reversed, and UAX was getting to pull a fast one on UAL mainline, there would be some severe hell to pay.

First off a dispatcher really has no idea what life on the line is like, never mind life for us commuters. I do not believe your "bullet points" represent the thought process of the LINE pilot at UAL.

As for UAL pilot Arrogance... I am not buying it. Are there our share of a__holes at UAL??? of course. On the whole we are no different than any other pilot group. It will be a shame if this blows up on the 31st. It will get testy.

Just a point of clarification....UAL does not include the JS in the BOW. The UAL contract stipulates that no UAL pilot will get bumped due to weight and balance. This does not extend to offline jumpseaters.
Also, I understand that UAL used to have priority above other carriers but below DL/DLC on Skywest flights that were in the DL system. That priority was changed to be the same as all other carriers in response to the UAL JSC request.

When was the last time you were bumped for weight on a UAL mainline flight? I mention the BOW because US Airways (east) does include the JS as part of the BOW, they wanted the express carriers to get the JS as part of the BOW for years due to a lot of guys getting bumped for weight just like at every other express carrier. The point is the UAX pilots expect the UAL pilots to create chaos to get a glitch fixed, yet do you see express guys doing the same to try to prevent guys from being bumped from their flight due to weight? When I was at express I went out of my way to accomadate guys in our JS and would have loved to have had a policy that included the JS in the BOW. However, as much as it sucked that mainline guys were routinely bumped from our express jumpseats for weight, they never threatened to block the JS to express pilots. I personally feel the ultimatum is out of line.

Not a new problem

This has been going on for years. When ACA was still around we had to fight with UA to make sure our guys got on our flights. ORF was especially bad. They got mad because UA cut back the flying and replaced mainline with RJs. Not the ACA pilots fault.
The other problem was the number of jumpseaters allowed. ACA/Indy (and a lot of other LLCs) used to take as many jumpseaters as we had empty seats in the back regardless of airline. We also allowed the seat in the cockpit until 9/11 changed that. And when we had airbuses, we even let pilots ride on the FA jumpseat. We flew a lot of United guys when we were still UEX. Almost never failed that they would thank us for the ride and say that they wished that UA had the same policy. I commuted for four years and saw more than a few UA planes leave the gate with empty seats in the back because they had taken their ONE jumpseater.
I agree that you'll never win a jumpseat war, but why shouldn't the airline's own pilots have priority on their own plane?

This has been going on for years. When ACA was still around we had to fight with UA to make sure our guys got on our flights. ORF was especially bad. They got mad because UA cut back the flying and replaced mainline with RJs. Not the ACA pilots fault.
The other problem was the number of jumpseaters allowed. ACA/Indy (and a lot of other LLCs) used to take as many jumpseaters as we had empty seats in the back regardless of airline. We also allowed the seat in the cockpit until 9/11 changed that. And when we had airbuses, we even let pilots ride on the FA jumpseat. We flew a lot of United guys when we were still UEX. Almost never failed that they would thank us for the ride and say that they wished that UA had the same policy. I commuted for four years and saw more than a few UA planes leave the gate with empty seats in the back because they had taken their ONE jumpseater.
I agree that you'll never win a jumpseat war, but why shouldn't the airline's own pilots have priority on their own plane?

Actually we do take as many jumpseaters as we have empty seats. As I have said before the vast majority of pilots understand any pilot on their own carrier should have priority.

I couldn't agree more with the BOW policy. If you express guys want to take up a useful cause, take up that one.

I have worked at four different major airlines and have never, ever, left a jumpseater for weight. Many of us are sick of giving express guys a ride to our domicile then walking over to the express gates to be told over and over again that they're weight restricted. So weight restricted that they can't even fill the back of the airplane -- let alone the jumpseat.

I run into this all the time, on my 50 minute commute flight. And yes, we all know it's not just weight, it's often CG. Like I said, if you want to take up a worthwhile fight, make your companies put the friggin' ballast on and/or put the JS in the BOW. Yeah, it's not prudent as far as fuel efficiency goes - but neither is an RJ.

In fairness, I have had guys work the numbers with taxi fuel etc. That was done at some risk to themselves and does not go unappreciated. If you'd work to get the policy changed it would eliminate that risk.

PIPE

All you regional folks, just relax. Before long there won't be any mainline left. It will just be UX. Then you can fight amongst yourselves for the JS, while commuting to work working for Walmart wages.

All you regional folks, just relax. Before long there won't be any mainline left. It will just be UX. Then you can fight amongst yourselves for the JS, while commuting to work working for Walmart wages.

You really are not very smart are you. I suppose that you have yet to realize that United is giving you your routes to fly and paying for all your fuel too.

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back