• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To all CAL guys... from a furloughed pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I agree with the 2nd post, you knew what you were getting into. Reminds me of the people that buy a house next to a airport THEN complain about the noise.

Coming to CAL after flying for COEX was a dream come true for me also.

The divided pilot group and union leaders who sell their brothers into slavery is a shame indeed, thus no hope for a contract.

I left for a better airline and never been happier.

2nd year at CAL… It sucks… Just had a trip with a guy that wants a 18 year pay scale and thinks that we are the highest paid and have the best work rules in the industry…
12 months rolling avg… 856hrs EWR 756 w/ 3 sick calls… … Is Delta hiring yet?
Junior Manning today for the 737 EWR FO…

Your dodging his point, the industry sucks and it was that way before he had a chance to serve on any ALPA committee.

Many are pissed about others picking up open time when people are on furlough. Remind them of what they are doing.

Good luck, I've got my passport stamped and making some real money.

Cheers,

To all you guys at CAL,

I really, really hope you finally get together and vote in a respectful contract. I hope my furlough (the 148 others + maybe more) will be a worthy sacrifice..

Coming to CAL was a dream of mine. It all ended when i finally got here and got 'welcomed' with $32/hour, no healthcare, training on your days off, 24hr rest out of base, etc contract. What a shame! This is worse than most commuters out there (go and compare if you don't believe me). And talk about the most divided pilot group ever... this nonsense got voted 'yes' on past 3 contracts?? CAL guys, come on please, i thought you're better than that..

I'm actually looking forward to my furlough, making more now than at CAL (collecting unemployment and gov funding for schooling). I hope things change and get much better at CAL, or many of us on furlough wont even find it worth coming back...

Dont worry brother. We are trying to get you guys back. I hope the furlough will end sooner than thought. We all had to go through the first year. We all had the intent to make CAL better when we came here. I will be voting to NO to any TA and Yes to a strike vote. This is our airline now. We will try to make it the best contract/airline that we can. Good luck.

what do you expect.
The senior pilots at CAL were from the SCAB ranks.
Now many of those SCABS call them self union men. Do you think that they really care about any one else but them self at the cost of others.

No, but we finally out number the SCABS and as a younger group that is sick of eating sh!t we can make a change for the better. I believe any contract is better than the lack of one we have now, however I say we leave nothing on the table. We can put the right people in place, it takes a vote!

I've had a few on my jump seat lately and it's amazing the deer in the headlight look they give me when I tell them, "This younger pilot group out numbers you old guys". "Oh by the way we don't give a rats @ss about your A fund". I usually get "well well you should, we should try and get that back for you guys". yada yada yada! The non Scabs "A" funders will at least admit they f#%k up!

Anyway we need to stand together, stay strong and get our guys back to work ASAP. Some work rules would be nice also!

No, but we finally out number the SCABS and as a younger group that is sick of eating sh!t we can make a change for the better. I believe any contract is better than the lack of one we have now, however I say we leave nothing on the table. We can put the right people in place, it takes a vote!

I've had a few on my jump seat lately and it's amazing the deer in the headlight look they give me when I tell them, "This younger pilot group out numbers you old guys". "Oh by the way we don't give a rats @ss about your A fund". I usually get "well well you should, we should try and get that back for you guys". yada yada yada! The non Scabs "A" funders will at least admit they f#%k up!

Anyway we need to stand together, stay strong and get our guys back to work ASAP. Some work rules would be nice also!

You had better start coming up with some better excuses or different scapegoats for the pending contract disaster. The scabs were far outnumbered during the last contract and look what happened. The same old song and dance was bantered about then how the young blood was going to change everything. The end result was contract 02 because many junior pilots fell for the same fear grenades launched by management and pathetically also by ALPA National and CALALPA.

History has already repeated itself and management has taken it one step further to cut loose 148 pilots. The union practically broke their arm patting themselves on the back with the blastmail about the number of jobs they saved. Couple that with the ineffectual union called CALALPA with essentially a dead SPSC committee, a non existent strike committee and a dysfunctional MEC. Where is all this new blood fixing these repeated problems within CALALPA? Fact is, the union already has new blood in there and the ripoffs, incompetence and ineffectual leadership continues.

Your post also is contradicting about standing together. You claim you want to stand together but your tone is nothing but divisive. The A fund issues are just as important to the senior pilots as job security issues are for junior pilots. Do you want the "old guys" to not "give a rats ass" about scope, furlough or longevity protections for the "younger guys"? For a pilot with your union experience to talk and think like that puts you on the same level as the opportunists in our ranks.

I have seen the same sense of entitlement and arrogance from some new hires that the scabs I have flown with display. What is even more eye opening is the scabs were right about ALPA watching the train wreck at Continental, National's politics and their feather bedding.

Last edited:
To those who think 'I should've known what CAL was like before i came here'. Ummm right, like you knew exactly everything (including the contract) when you got hired at your airline. Of course you did

Besides, it's different when you look at CAL from the outside and when you're swimming in this sh.. inside. Sure i knew about $32/hr and no health care, but the sad contract nonsense just piles up one after another

Needless to say, I never regretted anything in my career as i regret being at CAL, and it's a shame to even think that (considering there are so many out there wishing to be here). It's ok, i'll free up a spot here sooner or later. You learn and move on. And no, it's not a whining post. It's a reality check for those who are thinking about coming here

You had better start coming up with some better excuses or different scapegoats for the pending contract disaster. The scabs were far outnumbered during the last contract and look what happened. The same old song and dance was bantered about then how the young blood was going to change everything. The end result was contract 02 because many junior pilots fell for the same fear grenades launched by management and pathetically also by ALPA National and CALALPA.

History has already repeated itself and management has taken it one step further to cut loose 148 pilots. The union practically broke their arm patting themselves on the back with the blastmail about the number of jobs they saved. Couple that with the ineffectual union called CALALPA with essentially a dead SPSC committee, a non existent strike committee and a dysfunctional MEC. Where is all this new blood fixing these repeated problems within CALALPA? Fact is, the union already has new blood in there and the ripoffs, incompetence and ineffectual leadership continues.

Your post also is contradicting about standing together. You claim you want to stand together but your tone is nothing but divisive. The A fund issues are just as important to the senior pilots as job security issues are for junior pilots. Do you want the "old guys" to not "give a rats ass" about scope, furlough or longevity protections for the "younger guys"? For a pilot with your union experience to talk and think like that puts you on the same level as the opportunists in our ranks.

I have seen the same sense of entitlement and arrogance from some new hires that the scabs I have flown with display. What is even more eye opening is the scabs were right about ALPA watching the train wreck at Continental, National's politics and their feather bedding.

I didn't say we were going to change things, I said we could. I'm only trying to educated the uneducated while I have them in the seat for a few hours. I would just prefer they would admit they screwed up and we could move on. They only think of themselves, always have always will.

We are divided but hopefully on our side. Say NO to a 150% pay for the right seat time, NO to picking up open time, and certainly NO to the first TA.

I'm just as worried as the next guy about this contract. I won't settle for less than what we deserve, even if I have to give up my job. I want the career back that we all singed up for not the run of the mill job it's become.

You like chewing up my post but you offer nothing. What do you suggest? Are you a SCAB?

To those who think 'I should've known what CAL was like before i came here'. Ummm right, like you knew exactly everything (including the contract) when you got hired at your airline. Of course you did

Besides, it's different when you look at CAL from the outside and when you're swimming in this sh.. inside. Sure i knew about $32/hr and no health care, but the sad contract nonsense just piles up one after another

Needless to say, I never regretted anything in my career as i regret being at CAL, and it's a shame to even think that (considering there are so many out there wishing to be here). It's ok, i'll free up a spot here sooner or later. You learn and move on. And no, it's not a whining post. It's a reality check for those who are thinking about coming here

I really like working at CAL. I agree with the part of the bad contract, it is worthless. But what in this industry is concrete and forever? I look forward to a new contract but there are believe it or not positive things at CAL!

Latest resources

Back