• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

To all CAL guys... from a furloughed pilot

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
You know what you are getting into. You know the contract when you got hired.

All of a sudden when you get hired you want the red carpet rolled out for you.

Instead of wasting your time on this website, go be pro-active and find other sources of income.... I bet you guys sit around the crew lounge and complain about how bad everything is.

You choose to go to work everyday...

I will be back later, I need to deposit a commission check.

Like I said...what is that bad? With all my reserve time and not being called, my side business is booming.

My side business is open to anyone, most choose not to do anything else...you would rather sit and complain.

Solution: MOVE TO BASE, bid reserve, and make a hobby that pays.

What is your side buisness that is booming? I could use one right about now.

SFR: I agree with you somewhat, but cool it with the side job stuff, OK? You've got a primary job and the emphasis needs to be on making it better. SMOE might be a millionaire or might already have a side gig...we all might. So what? You going to start flying for free if the side job does real good? I'm sure not. We don't need anybody who will back away from a check.

SFR: I agree with you somewhat, but cool it with the side job stuff, OK? You've got a primary job and the emphasis needs to be on making it better. SMOE might be a millionaire or might already have a side gig...we all might. So what? You going to start flying for free if the side job does real good? I'm sure not. We don't need anybody who will back away from a check.
Flopgut, if you have to explain it to him, he wouldn't understand...Jeep thing, ya know?

While having a side business is a wonderful idea. The fact you HAVE to earn outside for stability and income is deplorable for a profession such as an airline pilot.

I don't know many doctors or lawyers, or airline managers that have part-time gigs. If you want to, that's one thing. Having to shows how far this profession has slid.

I have a very good friend who has made a small fortune on his side gig. He still fights for every single thin dime the airline owes him and is one of the most fierce defenders of this profession you could imagine. SFR: we need you to act like this is the only thing you've got. That's how we all need to act.

I would not fly for free, I would f*&%ing quit!! Let me start by saying that I don't give a damn about what happens with the company. Nor do I fear any chief pilot or management person.

For example... this last Friday hurricane Ike is approaching IAH. I get called to operate a flight from IAH to MCO with a 40 hour layover and deadhead back. Family goes with me. We had a real estate project to do in ATL (that is the side business). Rent a car, drive to ATL and work on the project. Never called scheduling. They cancel all flights Sunday, put deadhead for Monday. Monday was a day off for me. I never called scheduling...my schedule happens and bam, I get an extra day off because they had to slide my off days. I was never even in MCO for longer than it took to get the rental car and bolt out of town. Company thought I was sitting in hotel the whole time..... I was actually doing what I needed to .

Moral of story...if scheduling would have called and said "we need you to operate a flight back to IAH" I would have simply said sorry but I left. I am not worried about a chief pilot call or anything.

If you have a successful side business, you care a lot less about getting in trouble at the real job. Why? Because I can quit anytime and be fine!! They know that, that is why they never call me about sh!tt...

Let me explain one thing. I do care about my fellow pilots. When I say that I don't care what happens to the company, I mean management and the other scum bags (scabs too)

Lets face it, CAL showed no loyalty to the furloughs.... Why should I be loyal? When I get my 20 years in I am gone!!!

While having a side business is a wonderful idea. The fact you HAVE to earn outside for stability and income is deplorable for a profession such as an airline pilot.

I don't know many doctors or lawyers, or airline managers that have part-time gigs. If you want to, that's one thing. Having to shows how far this profession has slid.

How many doctors and lawyers do you know? I know a lot....they don't work 10 days or less a month..whic here you can by living in base.

Choices my friend......stay or quit, either way....quit whining.

BTW, I am NOT from a rich family.... in 2003 I was broke barely able to pay my mortgage on my ASA salary....

Latest resources

Back