• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tipping the Van driver....

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
What I want to know is who is that girl in scangadah's avatar? :)

Here's from someone who used to drive a van for a major hotel back in collage.

12:30 am...I'm the only doorman/bellman on. I get a call from front desk that there is a crew at the airport (probably running late, tired and already upset)

As I'm about to get in a van for a 25 minute trip to the airport, my phone rings. It's the VIP's room. He wants me to get him a pack of smokes and a soda. He just gave me 10 bucks tip 30 minutes ago, when I parked his Benz. Now I know that I will make another 20 by taking a 10 minute round trip to local 7/11.

So...
I make $4/hour, I can make $20 in a next 10 minutes or drive to the airport and get $5 (or possibly less) from a rude crew. So I choose the VIP. By the time I get to the airport it's really late and only CA and the lead tip. The way I see it, I made out. Hey, how else am I supposed to make money on the night shift to pay for those flight lessons?

That was a long time ago. Now, on the receiving end of that, if the hotel is 10 minutes away and the van shows up 45 minutes after I called them, than I don't tip. Why, because the guy made a choice and already made his money elsewhere.

Edited for typo.:)

Last edited:
Off the topic but...

our contract says we can take a cab or limo if the hotel transportation has not arrived within 30 mins of the cabin door opening. The company will reimburse you within 10 days.

-9Capt,
I've tried that, Say BWI, you know, you wait upstairs by AT counter. The FA's finally talked me into a cab idea, so we go downstairs where the cabs are. Guess what, about 100 people in line. Now we pull our bags back upstairs and I call the hotel. Guess what, the van was just here and left with another crew because we weren't at the curb....Now we all feel like real winners as we wait for another 30 minutes

Never again.

Call me a cheap bastard, but I don't tip them. That's up to 8 bucks a trip... that's a meal or a lot of beer.

Maybe we should hit the passengers up for tips. Let's put a tip jar in the galley. Or better, just hold your hat upturned at the end of the flight when you say buh-bye.

ifly4food said:
Maybe we should hit the passengers up for tips. Let's put a tip jar in the galley. .

You sound like a classy guy. . . . . not.

Actually, you sound like a cheap tool that I would hate to be paired with for the month. A new embarassment at every overnight. Maybe you should just get a factory job. You'll make more, be home every night, and be in your own element.

Ty Webb said:
You sound like a classy guy. . . . . not.

Actually, you sound like a cheap tool that I would hate to be paired with for the month. A new embarassment at every overnight. Maybe you should just get a factory job. You'll make more, be home every night, and be in your own element.

You're in the penalty box for a week, Ty. My comments were tongue in cheek. You need to lighten up or find a new sandbox. Next time, you're out permanently.

If4f

ifly4food said:
Call me a cheap bastard, but I don't tip them. That's up to 8 bucks a trip... that's a meal or a lot of beer.

Where's the penalty box? I'm on a sit-down strike until you let Ty out.
(actually, I'm usually sitting down on a strike about something at any given moment, but this is a truely great cause!)

Last edited:
ifly4food said:
You're in the penalty box for a week, Ty. My comments were tongue in cheek. You need to lighten up or find a new sandbox. Next time, you're out permanently.

If4f

Ty gets a week in the box for that? Are you kidding me?

Sounds like Mr. moderator has developed a power trip.

Latest resources

Back