• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tipping hotel van drivers

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
If they put your bag into/out of the van, you owe them a gratuity, IMHO. Poverty is no excuse. One could argue that per diem is intended to cover "incidental costs" on trips.[/quote]

Wrong. That is where a good company will reimburse you for.

Welcome to life. It's not anyone's job to be the judge of their co-workers. Don't be surprised if the guy in the seat next to you forgot to read the instruction manual on how to meet every one of your expectations. Some people have genuine reasons for not tipping, and some people are just "thrifty" I agree with A Squared, too many people expect handouts today for doing their job. Hmmmmm....it says "VAN DRIVER" in the description...do you think you might be EXPECTED to drive vans? I have my own special way of tipping. I carry a sheet of those sticky Gold Stars with me...

Stick to the arguement.. you tip so you only wait 5 mins instead of 20 in the cold. you tip so the van driver will take you Outback so you don't have to eat Wendy's again....

And of course you do this so your entire pilot group doesn't develop a bad rep...

For the love of God people.... do you not understand goodwill....

well some one does.....

Gentlemen and Ladies
Consider this especially if you work for a smaller airline flying to smaller cities on a regular basis. The people driving these vans get to know you Very Well. Tipping can sometimes make the difference in hanging outside the airport for a short amount of time or for what may seem like hours.

I have tipped when I was s 15k a year f/o at a commuter, I have tipped as a CA at a cargo airline, all for the same result, better service next time I get to town. And I am a "Thrifty" guy, but I am not a cheapskate. If one of my crew does not have the cash I come up with it, again so we get prompt service next time we arrive.

Tipping is indeed a personal choice, Crappy service don't tip. Good service, Tip and it may come back around to serve you well someday!

Last edited:
REZ O,, go pound sand dude. Thats right my entire attitude and personal caliber is based on my willingness or unwillingness to tip the van driver,,,,,,, Tool.

Ouch... that really doesn't hurt me when you talk like that...

It is your attitude..... and your choice...

Stick to the arguement.. you tip so you only wait 5 mins instead of 20 in the cold. you tip so the van driver will take you Outback so you don't have to eat Wendy's again....

And of course you do this so your entire pilot group doesn't develop a bad rep...

For the love of God people.... do you not understand goodwill....

well some one does.....

Rez, your arguing will not get you a Gold Star...

Wow, I'm surprised to hear that regional FO's are having to tip shuttle drivers.
At my 135 freight company, I was instructed by a captain during IOE that ONLY captains tip van drivers. Every captain at my company understands this unwritten policy and they all seem to agree with it.
The FO's never tip, only the captains do because they earn more money. It was that way when they were FO's and it's that way now that they're captains.

Rez, your arguing will not get you a Gold Star...

I don't want/need a gold star.... I'd just like the van driver to pick my crew up in a timely manner and with good attitude cause the prior crews treated him/her with repsect and goodwill..... not the opposite....

Latest resources

Back