• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Time to say NO MORE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Yes there are drops outs, but more jobs are being created than are disappearing, there just not the same jobs that are disappearing, $100K/yr for a high grad is still achievable.

I agree with DC9. I'm not seeing a Pilot Shortage when there are thousands of our brethren on the street. I dont think there are any easy answers to the predicament this business is in. I do see signs of pilots joining together for the good of our profession, and that could be promising.

A major pilot shortage would certainly help drive wages up, but I don't see that happening anytime soon. The only reason there appears to be a shortage at the regional level is because most of the guys furloughed at mainline won't work at a regional. Most of the furloughed mainline guys I know have taken desk jobs....because they pay better than at a regional.

I'll agree that a national union might help, but all the unions in the world can't overcome basic economics. And the airline industry economics SUCK!!! Even the few profitable airlines have margins that most industries would consider laughable.

This industry is too energy intensive (fuel), too capital intensive (expensive planes and support infrastructure), heavily regulated and too vulnerable to economic turmoil. Given all these factors, large scale strikes will not hold up.

I agree about the supposed shortage at the regionals. The only reason they are short is because of the pay. When I was furloughed I considered the regionals, did the numbers and found that there was no way to support my family on the wages. As a Captain, yes, barely. But by the time I made Capt. my family would have alredy lost the house. And I am not talking about a big house, 139k purchase price on 2000.

Literally you can make more money in almost ANY other field. Got a furloughed buddy that pressure washes houses. Has maybe $4000 in equipment on his trailer, and makes roughly the same as a 6th year Capt. at most regionals. He is expanding this year and buying another rig so he should be surpassing what he could make flying the RJ very soon.

If I were young again and single, regionals would be a possibility, married with kids, preschool, daycare, mortgage etc... No chance.

I have nothing against the airplanes, they are fun to fly, but I simply cannot afford to fly them again. 10 years ago and living in an apartment with no kids I did it just fine. Regionals for the most part will not support a family until you are a 5th or 6th year capt. It can be done earlier, but when one can make more money doing almost anything else, why bother?

A United guy on another thread said if he see's D. Worthless one more time on the cover of the Alpa mag. accepting ANOTHER award for God knows what, he is going to puke. Alpa has done NOTHING for the airline industry for a long time. That's why we are where we are now. I may be crazy but why don't all of the airlines raise there damn ticket prices? Why is it that someone can go from LAX to JKF for $200? That is stupid. People are still going to fly and the planes will still be full. Why are we having to pay for stupid mistakes made by management? I don't buy the low cost carrier argument. They only have so many a/c that hold so many people. Raise the damn prices instead of punishing the workers. This is asnine. JetBlue is going to probably post a loss this quarter and what about when they have to start paying for a/c?? They will probably be taking a paycut too.... It's not always going to be rosey over there. Why can't we all band together and freakin' stop this downhill slide?? Management has gotten away with this because we have let them.

msmb said:
JetBlue is going to probably post a loss this quarter and what about when they have to start paying for a/c?? quote]

Wait until we have to start paying for fuel...we're fukced.

Latest resources

Back