• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Time to say NO MORE

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
SirFlyalot, this is the kind of idea that needs to flourish if we are to survive as a profession...Unfortunately, pilots are short sighted , self centered, and self serving.. It would be difficult, even in these trying times, to convince the ENTIRE pilot group to think collectively. I for one, give you my vote on this. I hope that some day we can all agree on what is good for the profession.

Nindiri said:
Airlines would simply go outside of a national union to hire.

Nindiri, okay, you're right. We're done for. Let's sit on our hands. Or, more accurately, let's pull down our pants and bend over some more. There's no hope. There's no way to defeat that possibility.

I'm sorry to say this, but your reasoning is the kind of reasoning that has emasculated pilots as a group. Your reasoning paints you and all of us as stooges and patsies to management. It is exactly what management wants us to think. It's exactly the kind of thinking that will see pilots become nothing more than blue collar vocational workers. Welcome to your brave new world handed to all of us courtesy of weak-minded people like you. I hope you like it.

However, your argument does raise a valid concern. I addressed this in my original post. We, as a group, must research and develop valid ways to combat the real threat posed by scabs. Other unions have confronted the same problem and overcome it. There is no reason in the world why we can't.

:) You read a lot in that one sentence, eh?

My thinking is reality. You can deny facts all you want, but it isn't going to change them. How do you plan to force all pilots to join the national union? What if a group of pilots chooses to sign their own independent contract with an airline?

YGASF said:
Like the acronym of my screen name points out.... You Guys Are So Fukced!

Nice mirrored shades, dude. Do they work with the ladies?

C

Nindiri has it right, morbid as it sounds. How do you expect pilots to band together on a national level when they can't even do it at their own company. Example...Delta guys (Ithinkit'scalled) greenslipping while guys are furloughed, NWA folks picking up (Ithinkit'scalled) hightime. Chalk it up as another great idea that will never work because there is no unity, none at an ALPA carrier or anywhere else.

Time to go OVERSEAS!! Asia's market is about to explode.....And not enough pilots to meet the demand......Perhaps what this country needs is a REAL pilot shortage....

There is already a shortage of qualified pilots in the US. All the airlines that are hiring are redefining their competitive minimums to fill their classes. Pinnacle just prior the NWA meltdown was offering a $1,000 signing bonus. Guys with the flight time are being hired as Captain or making it in one year. All of pilots leaving had no problems finding jobs. That is a shortage.

pilotyip said:
There is already a shortage of qualified pilots in the US. All the airlines that are hiring are redefining their competitive minimums to fill their classes. Pinnacle just prior the NWA meltdown was offering a $1,000 signing bonus. Guys with the flight time are being hired as Captain or making it in one year. All of pilots leaving had no problems finding jobs. That is a shortage.

Umm, I don't think so... did you forget about all the furloughees on the street? They're out there by the thousands; methinks the reason they're not all applying to the regionals that are hiring and growing (and taking over mainline flying) is that they don't want to start over at the bottom rung of a regional making crap pay. Perhaps they've found better pay working as a car salesman or at Home Depot... I really don't think there's a pilot shortage here.

Latest resources

Back