Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

casper1nine

liberal radical party ldr
I think that I might quit my job tomorrow, or at least turn in my two weeks notice. My current job sucks, the airplanes are for sale, and for most of the past year, I have been re-assigned to work full time, read 6-7 days a week, in another area of the company, while still being expected to fly on-call as needed. I kept trying to quit over the past year, but the boss would just keep giving me raises. Anyway, I am tired of the schedule, want to fly more (in an enviroment where professionalism is appreciated), and am looking for a change in general.

So, here is my question: Have any of you good folks ever just quit a job you didn't like, without having your next move lined up? How did it work out for you, do you regret it, are you better for it? As much as I dislike my current situation, the uncertainty of change is somewhat unnerving, in fact, the thought of not having a job bothers me on a fundamental level. Despite that, I think that it IS time for me to move on. A friend of mine once told me, "you can't steal second base with both feet on first."

Anyway, I welcome your thoughts and comments.

-Casper1nine

PS: Any fresh info on job openings in Georgia or in the Atlanta area would be appreciated as I ramp up for the job search process. Thanks.

I'd definitely have something else lined up unless I had at least a years worth of living expenses in pocket. Do you have family to think of or will you be the only one living out of your car, should the need arise?

I've left several flying jobs when I disagreed with what was going on. You do what you must.

I've got a wife, no kids, and at least six months of savings lined up. I don't want to live in my car, it leaks when it rains.
-casper

A guys gotta do what he has to do....but keep in mind people tend to question gaps in employment..

Just look hard a take the next best thing. call in when needed, take personal days, etc....

personally I think the only time it makes sense to "quit" is when safety is in question.

Gulfstream 200 said:
A guys gotta do what he has to do....but keep in mind people tend to question gaps in employment..
personally I think the only time it makes sense to "quit" is when safety is in question.

I've felt for a long time that my career belongs to me, not some future interviewer. I've heard about the "gaps in employment" thing as well, yet I have had employement gaps after each of the jobs I've had in this goofy business, for varying reasons. Each time, I managed to get a better job later on.

Life's too short to spend stressing over work.

I'd say being overworked as a pilot definitely qualifies as a safety issue.

C

It is always easier to get a flying job when you have a current flying job, start looking and decide when to jump.

Corona said:
I've felt for a long time that my career belongs to me, not some future interviewer. I've heard about the "gaps in employment" thing as well, yet I have had employement gaps after each of the jobs I've had in this goofy business, for varying reasons. Each time, I managed to get a better job later on.

Life's too short to spend stressing over work.

I'd say being overworked as a pilot definitely qualifies as a safety issue.

C

Of course the career belongs to you, but quitting a flying job without another lined up these days is just plain stupid.

Maybe if you have 10 type ratings and live in a busy area you will find SOMETHING quick...but aside from that you might be SOL. Fine if you have no responsiblity - go for it....but why??? to prove its YOUR LIFE?.....um, OK , guess I dont understand GEN X.

Basically all Im saying is quit whining and concentrate on finding the better job. Yip is 100% right, its easier to be picky while you still have a job.

Stop with the Ipod, the backpack, the Ritalin, and the excuses. Your parents really do love you.

:) .

Last edited:
You must work to live and not live to work. Your life is short, very short! Try not to get wrapped up in the bull about what the future interviewee may think, there might not be one, live in the present.

Before you quit though, have you talked to your boss and explained how unhappy you are. Let him know you need to fly more or you have to move on. If things are like you say, expain it will be hard to find a replacement, that you don't want to leave but may have to, than ask for a raise!

Good luck

Pilotyip is 100% correct! It is ALWAYS better to quit a job when you already have another lined up and waiting for you. With your experience level, not a lot of people will be lining up at your door to offer you anything. After the novelty of being "your own person" wears off, what then? Still no job? Will you qualify for unemployment? What does your wife think? Does she have a good paying job to support you for many months, possibly longer?
I can appreciate some of your frustrations but be VERY careful. Don't just jump from the frying pan into the fire.
I was once unemployed for 16 straight months with a brand new type rating and stacks of hours. I couldn't even get an interview, never mind a job - until I went overseas where I fell into a job with minimal effort. Now, people are appraoching me!
Assess the situation more and as slumminginpit suggests, if you are that unhappy, go see the boss! If he keeps giving you raises, he must see value in you and you may have the upper hand without realizing it. Then, if you don't get what you want, quit. But make sure you have reviewed ALL your options and are not clouded by your current situation.
Hope this and the other posters help you decide what's best for you. God luck

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back