• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Time For SkyWest Pilots To Step Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Lets get to the important stuff, how are the hotels that SW mgmt puts you in?

701EV

thebest said:
What about if you worked at an airline for 30+ years and they decided to take your pension...."Stomp {your} feet real loud and start applying..." Wait a minute....this HAPPENED! Ya ALPA IS REAL GREAT!!! ... THE BEST

Yeah... the world is a scary place. Do you think being represented by the Teamsters or an in house union would have changed the outcome? I personally don't think it would have made a difference.

They're OK middle of the road things. Usually airport Hiltons, quite a few Holiday Inn Selects, West Coasts, a few token Marriotts, Sheratons, Double Trees and Hyatts, and a few smatterings of others. I'm sure the main objective is cost that meets our needs, as there doesn't seem to be a consistency among vendor selection, even intracity. Fairly reactive about changing things people gripe about enough, save that OKC Holiday Inn (ugh). Usually only get 10% off food and no beverage (except in SFO, btw); never going to get SWA's 1-2-3, though that would be great. Most have some sort of workout and eating establishment, and normally (with a few exceptions) there are additional eats/drinks within nominal walking distance. Never stay in the dumps, except in XNA which has since changed (I believe).

thebest said:
That's my point. When it comes down to the important stuff....RETIREMENT....ALPA was not there. THey CAN"T help with the important stuff. They are no good! People talk about how they kept the bar up, by a few bucks an hour, but when the comapnies don't want something, you WON"T GET IT...union or not! Those that chatted about keeping the bar up....where are you? Why is YOUR bar so low now? THE BEST

Yep, your right. If the company wants to take something from you while they are in bankruptcy, theres not a lot anyone can do to stop them. Thats been pretty well proven over the last couple of years.

I still think that a Union provides alot of individual protections and tools that simply aren't available to non-union carriers.

thebest said:
There is nothing good about a union....

Oh.. your one of those guys. Can only see the world from one side. Enjoy life with your head stuck in the sand.

I'll admit a union isn't perfect. I'll also readily admit that there are some very good management teams at the non-union carriers. Hell, I'm trying to get hired at JetBlue so I definitely appreciate that. But the management is good because they have to be, or the Unions will show up. I know life has been good at SkyWest and there hasn't been a great need for a union. But, things are changing there. My understanding is its not the utopia it used to be. And now the SkyWest pilot group is going to be used as a sledgehammer on the ASA pilot group. If the SkyWest guys have any desire to stop that process down the road, theres only one thing they can do. Its probably too late to help the ASA guys this time around. But thats no reason not to prepare for the next time around.

All unions arent' bad. All management teams aren't bad either. But when a good management team goes bad, the workers need to protect themeselves. Unfotunately theres only one way to do that.

Yeah, I've been a member of a number of unions since 1973, and the Cardinal Sin, the one thing you didn't do was cross a picket line, whether it was the grocery store workers or the funeral directors, you just didn't cross it.

Now the mechanics go on strike and the pilots and flight attendants continue to work, with scab labor, no less. And the rationalization is that it was not in the pilot's best interest to join?

YGTBSM

thebest said:
To late to help ASA this time, they are union...why does it take more than one time?

Because they are now competing head to head with a cheap non union work force. Management has cut ASA off at the knees because the Skywest Guys don't have any means to stop them.

Make no mistake about it, when ASA gets bent over the table, it will be because the SkyWest guys don't have the ability to stand up and fight side by side with the ASA guys. He11, the SkyWest management team has already spelled out their game plan in the Q&A thats floating around this board. Keep 'em seperate and whipsaw 'em. Theres only one way to stop the whipsaw. Organize and make the pilot groups one. Then theres nothing to whipsaw.

THEBEST, do you have the ability to follow a logical thought process? Or are you just SO anti-union that you are blind to the world around you? I'm guessing its option B.

How about the MEC at ASA get with SkyW pro-Union people and organize an in house Union to get rolled out in 2006. The longer we wait to organize the longer the Whipsaw will get between the two pilot groups.

Latest resources

Back