• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Tilton badly wants his payoff!! UA-USair combo

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
We all know why he is in such a rush to merge....

"But Tilton stands to get $11.9 million in compensation if there is a change in control at United, the company said in a regulatory filing Friday."

I'm "happily" employed at CAL and hope to retire here, but there was a time when UAL was my clear cut first choice. Things have certainly changed in the last ten years. UAL still has the route structure and hubs to be competitive and profitable, but I don't know if US Airways does anything other than spread load the debts and losses.

I don't know any pilots at UAL, but I wonder how they feel about the new dance partner. In a sick sort of way, I'd actually like to see this go through if only to watch the Easties s**t their pants when ALPA comes back on property.

There are not easy answers in this business, only time will tell who got lucky.

I have many great friends working for both of these companys, but that said merging these two is like merging the Titanic with the Hindenburg. I hope for all the pilots of these two that things get better.

UAL is keeping Tilton from his golf course... C'mon, the guy used to work for Chevron (oil) where everyone is making HUGE money and he probably misses that.

Tilton wants out. Parker wants to stay in for now. Personally, I don't know why anyone would want to merge with UAL at the moment because it is basically a listing ship:

1. No growth plan (no new airplanes coming on line)
2. No innovative strategy
3. Losing market share to the LCCs (i.e., SWA in Denver)
4. Inefficient fleet very susceptible to oil cost swings (like most legacies)

Exactly how will USAirways benefit from that combination? USAirways and UAL have similar European route profiles - so, they are just adding more domestic capacity which is already threatened by the LCCs. At least DAL and NWA offer complementary international route systems (to offset domestic pricing issues).

Their hubs also seem to overlap in a few key areas (i.e., IAD and DCA and some of the West Coast). I think this situation will result in a blood bath with many cut jobs to reduce overall costs. The point is this: if revenues can't increase too much due to intense domestic competition (SWA, VA, JB and AirTran), costs are going to have to be brought down to provide for a chance for some profit...

Doug Parker would know how to run the airline and trim the million supervisors and middle management that UAL doesn't need.

Doug Parker would know how to run the airline and trim the million supervisors and middle management that UAL doesn't need.

BWAAA HAA HAA HAA !!!!!!!!!

That alcoholic can't even run the airline he has now.

Years after his merger, he's still juggling two airlines that aren't the darlings of the industry. AWA should've never hitch thier cart to the U swayback nag.

Had they stayed away, U would have certainly flopped with a big *THUD*. Now, their best move is to rebuff UA and watch them roll inverted and spin into the terrain. By merging all they'd be doing is taking a seat in first class for the ride down.

Latest resources

Back