• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thud

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I just started Going Downtown and I can't wait to finish it. Not to turn this into Oprah's book of the month club or anything but Thud Ridge and When Thunder Rolled are two excellent books. May I also suggest 100 Missions North by Ken Bell. This book is very similar to Rasimus's. So much so that Rolled and 100 Missions actually have the exact same art work on the covers.

Not to turn this into Oprah's book of the month club or anything but Thud Ridge and When Thunder Rolled are two excellent books.

Ya, we kinda hijacked this thread, but I would like to keep this rolling. I'm always looking for good books to read. Mods any chance we could get this moved to another thread titled Good books or something?

I'm 100 pages into Palace Cobra now, can't put it down.

here's my fav list for that era (all non-fiction)

-Pak Six (thud pilot bio)
-100 missions north (thud pilot bio)
-When Thunder Rolled (thud pilot bio)
-Palace Cobra (same dude, phantoms this time)
-Thud Ridge (thud pilot bio, command perspective)
-Misty (F100 fast facs)
-Bury us Upside down (F100 fast facs)
-Fox 2 (Randy Cunningham bio, navy phantoms)

All time favorite combat aviation read. . . . . Thunderbolt, absolute MUST read if you like first hand aerial combat books. It's Robert Johnson's bio, dude had 27 victories in the jug on the european front flying with gabby gabreski, hub zemke and the rest of the wolfpack badasses. .

all of the above found on amazon

here's my fav list for that era (all non-fiction)

-Pak Six (thud pilot bio)
-100 missions north (thud pilot bio)
-When Thunder Rolled (thud pilot bio)
-Palace Cobra (same dude, phantoms this time)
-Thud Ridge (thud pilot bio, command perspective)
-Misty (F100 fast facs)
-Bury us Upside down (F100 fast facs)
-Fox 2 (Randy Cunningham bio, navy phantoms)

All time favorite combat aviation read. . . . . Thunderbolt, absolute MUST read if you like first hand aerial combat books. It's Robert Johnson's bio, dude had 27 victories in the jug on the european front flying with gabby gabreski, hub zemke and the rest of the wolfpack badasses. .

all of the above found on amazon

All great books (although Duke's doesn't read the same after his little fiasco). One other I'd highly recommend is "My Secret War" by Richard Drury. It's about flying A-1 Skyraiders out of Laos as a FAC as well as providing cover for downed pilot rescues. Awesome. Someone told me he just retired from Fedex recently. I wish I had a chance to fly w/ him.

One other I'd highly recommend is "My Secret War" by Richard Drury. It's about flying A-1 Skyraiders out of Laos as a FAC as well as providing cover for downed pilot rescues. Awesome. Someone told me he just retired from Fedex recently. I wish I had a chance to fly w/ him.
You're right about the "Sandy" part but I don't think he was ever a FAC? (minor point) He is a helluva writer and his latest book, "Flightlines", is a great compilation of his magazines columns.

I just picked up the book "Palace Cobra" by Ed Rasimus. I'm pretty excited to get crack'n at it. It was $7.99 at Barnes & Nobles. While I was there, there was a good book called "Bye Bye Baby" It's a reflection with photos on the F-14 Tomcat. It's like 40 bucks but I spend 2 hours looking at it for free. If you want it's 30 dollars on Amazon or 40 dollars in the flesh at Barnes & Nobles.

http://www.amazon.com/Grumman-F-14-...=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1265670791&sr=8-1

Latest resources

Back