Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Thoughts regarding market's effects on airline travel?

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Max,

The British Imperial Gallon is 20% larger than ours and their emissions requirements not quite as strict. Those explain why my car, which gets 31MPG here, gets 36 to 37 there.

I'm all for consumption based taxes (as Adma Smith would be) since they are a market based solution which allows people the freedom to choose. Typically the Democrats have been against consumption taxes. Obama is not going to back a regressive consumption based tax, is he? After all, gas taxes have a greater percentage impact on low income people.

If you like consumption taxes, you should read up on the Fair Tax and change political parties.

American consumption is most closely related to American productivity. American GDP per capita is 1,100% higher than your worker's paradise south of Florida and 10% higher than France. If you want to look for real efficiency, go to a third world island where they have burned every tree of the island and see how that's working out.

America will of course benefit from more efficiency, but that is only a small part of the overall solution.

You call Americans "greedy and arrogant" do you have a clue which country by far and above funds private charities?

Your America bashing gets old, fast.

Last edited:
Delta just secured a $1 Billion line of credit about a month or so ago. One analyst said that the Delta team is either extremely lucky they got that line of credit when they did or they are geniuses.

Heyas,

I'll give credit where credit is due. RA IS extremely savvy. He activated a huge line of credit at NWA on 9/11 before the 2nd tower was hit.

I have no doubt he saw this coming, and acted before it was too late.

Nu

Max,

The British Imperial Gallon is 20% larger than ours and their emissions requirements not quite as strict. Those explain why my car, which gets 31MPG here, gets 36 to 37 there.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/17344368/

Theis article is over a year old. And I'm too tired to debate you especially when logic just fly's over your head.

As you will see Europe which includes some of the less efficient eastern block countries - kills us by 2 times the fuel efficiency. They do this by tax the living H.E. double hockey sticks out of GAS.

Thanks for the PM mr. fin have fun on your mission to save the world and turn them into sara palins.

Fuel efficiency standards for passenger cars have remained unchanged for two decades at 27.5 miles per gallon. The Bush administration recently revamped the rules for light trucks, creating a sliding mileage scale that is based on a vehicle’s size. Now Bush wants to assign a similar measure to passenger cars.

In general, cars are far more fuel-efficient in Europe, where gas is much more expensive. In Europe, cars on average get 40 mpg, compared with 20.4 mpg for U.S. cars.

Overseas, primarily in Europe, there are 113 vehicles for sale that get a combined 40 mpg, up from 86 in 2005. Combined gas mileage is the average of a vehicle’s city and highway mpg numbers.
Adding insult to injury is the fact that nearly two-thirds of the 113 highly fuel-efficient models that are unavailable to American consumers are either made by U.S.-based automobile manufacturers or by foreign manufacturers with substantial U.S. sales operations, such as Nissan and Toyota.

Your the biggest tard ever. Europe is nowhere near as bad off as we are. The S and P has dropped over 40 percent from its highs in 2007!!!!! If memory serves it was at 1547 now it in the 900. Europe and Asia isn't anywhere close to this level of loss. They may drop some more but won't come close to our massive losses. They are using international accountanting laws, under Bush's deregulation WE DO NOT. Therefore we have much less transparency and it is much easier to skim money from here and there so you can get that big NJ sparkly jet.

Not Quite

Some European stock indices....

OMXS (Stockholm) 52wk high 407.81 today 201.42 %chg -50%

MIBTEL (Italy) 52wk high 32,027 Today 15,526 %chg -51%

FTSE 100 (London) 52wk high 6751 Today 4087 %chg -40%

OSEAX (OSlo) 52wk high 605 Today 291.05 %chg -52%

CAC 40 (France) 52wk high 5882 Today 3176 %chg -46%

DJI 52wk high14280 Today 8451 %chg -41%

S&P 52wk high 1576 Today 899 %-43%

http://finance.yahoo.com/intlindices?e=europe

Last edited:
Heyas,

I'll give credit where credit is due. RA IS extremely savvy. He activated a huge line of credit at NWA on 9/11 before the 2nd tower was hit.

I have no doubt he saw this coming, and acted before it was too late.

Nu

You're putting you're faith in RA? He activated a huge line of credit in 20 mins? uhhh...good luck!

"H.E. double hockey sticks........."

OH MY!

Hate to break it to all of you rah-rah economists, but the sh!t isn't even to the fan yet. We'll probably have a 15% rebound in the equity markets in the next month, and then things will flatten for a while. The real trouble with the US and UK economies is at the consumer level. For the last 25 years, consumer debt levels have steadily increased. Instead of people saving and then paying for products and services, they have borrowed money for the same things. People in the US have become entirely too used to instant gratification. A recent report stated that the average american household has an income of $50k, and carries a debt load of more than $18K, which does not include mortgages. The US has had a negative savings rate for the last two years. Last time that happened was prior to WWII. If you look at these numbers, take into account plunging home values, which was a major funding source for many americans recently, then where are we truly heading? Over the last 9 years, incomes have remained flat. New bankruptcy laws which make it much more difficult to liquidate debts. Take all of this into consideration, and then realize that 2/3 of GDP is from consumer spending. What do you truly think is going to save this economy? Increasing exports? That's not going to last, as the dollar is gaining strength against other currencies. What is going to save us? Someone please tell me, becacuse from where I'm standing, I see a minimum of five years of PAIN. This is the reckoning for the recklessness of the last two decades. Anyone want to take bets? Best of luck to us all.

box

Latest resources

Back