Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Those Crazy Sweedish Dash Drivers! (gear collapse)

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
No one can land a Q400 well under normal circumstances, under pressure in an emergency isn't going to help.

They pound those things on, no mater what. If they don't, it is just luck.

Ask any Q400 pilot, I ain't lyin!!!!

Not at all. You secure both of the engines just prior to touchdown. It is the safe and prudent thing to do in a turboprop. DASH in my profile would not make a difference.

You are completely, utterly, totally, insane.

No problem. Do what you need to do to make the landing as safe as you can. Thanks for the discussion. The class I am in is quite boring, and I needed the debate!

:nuts:

Ruskie you are concerning a lot of us with your amazing sense of airline "logic" (mind you I use the term loosely). As others have said and I repeat company policies and procedures have been thought out for a reason straying, from them might be appropriate in a "life or death situation (landing an uncontrollable DC10 in a corn field) but this situation was far from that.... Keep in mind that if you have a major emergency the FAA will be there pulling fdr's and cvr's to see if you followed procedures. Sure an emergency gives you the authorization to do what it take to get things safely on the ground but it has to be done in a rational and sane manner. Making things up from the "Rusty Ruskie" rules of thumb checklist will do one of several things; get you hurt, killed or fired, please just don't take anyone with you. Second guessing a flight crews actions when you don't have a clue about the systems involved and certainly don't have the specific facts of the incident (you only saw a video remember? You weren't sitting on the jumpseat during that flight were you?) shows gross negligence on your part of even reasoning like a pilot... not to mention is pretty unprofessional on your part. I'm even regretting what i titled this thread because my mention of the word "crazy" was not directed toward the crews actions it was meant in the context of a "crazy" or bad day! Could you let me know what city pairs you operate out of so I can avoid those airports and make sure that my family is not on board any of your flights?:eek:

Thanks in advance!

Can you explain the systems to me then? ?
YES, BUT YOU ARE NOT LISTENING!
Why can't they run a standby hyd on batt or APU?
?
BECAUSE IT IS NOT DESIGNED THAT WAY!
Do they even need hyd to complete the landing?
?
ONLY, IF YOU WANT TO STOP OR STEER THE A/C!THE OTHER OPTION IS TO LOCK UP THE WHEELS WITH THE EMERGENCY BRAKE AND SLIDE TO A STOP. DEPENDING ON WHICH TIRES BLOW AND IN WHAT SEQUENCE THEY DO BLOW.....THAT'S YOUR NEW TRAJECTORY...... IT IS NOT SOMETHING THAT A SANE PERSON WOULD HAND TO THEMSELVES!
[/quote]
Why can't the spoilers be disabled from deploying?
BECAUSE IT IS NOT DESIGNED THAT WAY! (SAME THING FOR THE APU, IT CAN NOT BE STARTED IN THE AIR~THERE IS NO WAY TO GET A/C POWER TO THE HDY STBY PUMPS OFF THE APU...JUST NOT ENGINEERED THAT WAY)(SURE YOU COULD PULL CB'S AND DISABLE WEIGHT ON WHEELS FUNCTIONS TO DISABLE SPOILERS BUT WHY?) THEY ADD DRAG AND WILL HELP YOU SLOW DOWN AS THEY ARE DESIGNED TO DO ON LANDING... PLEASE DON'T NOW ASK ME TO NOW TEACH YOU THE FLIGHT TAXI SWITCH FUNCTIONS TO YOU BECAUSE YOU ARE NOT WORTH THE TIME...... AND YOU ARE NOT LISTENING TO THE PEOPLE THAT KNOW THE A/C!

I see several aircraft listed on you're profile, but not a DASH. Are you suggesting that they should have flown a dead stick landing in order to secure the engines? Wow.
Quinn,
She hasn't flown any of those aircraft....except for the ones she paid to fly, the 1900 and Em-120.
She's either a TAB or GIA product. She ranks up with the highest of scum like PCL_128

I'm going to say a prayer tonight. One that I never work at the same place as The Russian, Two that I or my family or anyone I care about at all never fly with anyone as arrogant and incompetent as she appears here, and three that God give her a good wake-up call somehow before she ends up playing hero in the graveyard.

God save the future of American aviation if we're issuing pilot certificates to someone like this.

AMEN!

Five people were injured in this crash because of pilots who did not think about primary procedures for a controlled crash. They knew the gear was not secure prior to approaching the airport, so this was no surprise for them. They may not have needed to do a simultaneous dual engine shutdown, but they could have done something more appropriate for their aircraft type. Their technique sent them careening off of the runway at an excessive rate of speed causing injuries. How can you say it was a good landing?

Just when I've decided you're a hopeless tool, you pop back up and declare you're a d0uchebag too. "Pilots did not think about primary procedures for a controlled crash." I'll bet you'd be thrilled if you just had a crash and then some PFT a$$hat half a world away declared you weren't thinking about "primary procedures" based on a 30 sec video clip she saw, without knowing an iota about the airplane.

SAS has been keeping Horizon in the loop and the following info was passed on down to the peons: in the Aalborg crash, the Captain moved the passengers to the left side of the airplane and away from the prop arc. So he or she was indeed concerned about a disintegrating prop, even though there's nothing about this in the Emergency/Abnormal Checklist. One prop blade fragment did indeed end up penetrating the cabin but did not injure anyone thanks to the Captain's precautions. The five light injuries were sustained on evacuation. Oh let me guess, next you're going to say the Captain shouldn't have evacuated since CFR was obviously gonna put out the fire soon.

Incidently, the captain in the Vilnius crash did elect to shut down the right engine. It's not in the checklist, but based on the 20/20 hindsight provided by the crash three days prior, the pilots elected to do it. There was much less damage to the airplane, so naturally everybody's congratulating the Captain on a job well done. But what if things hadn't gone so well. Everybody would be heaping scorn on the Captain for not following the checklist and exacerbating their emergency with yet another one, and you would no doubt be the leading the charge.

Pwn'd, M.F.

Anyone think deactivating the roll/ground spoilers with the push off switch could have helped keep the wing flying a bit longer?

Perhaps this, if accompanied by the luck of a smooth landing in a D8, could have helped things out.

BTW, Russian, carbon fiber fragments vs. kevlar shrouding on fuselage, kevlar wins.

No factor...

They did a horrible job with that landing. Very unprofessional, very bad airmenship.

Say what you want. The flying pilot slammed it in and never secured the engines. No respect for the safety of the passengers.

Shame on you SAS pilots.

According to the local PDX newscast, that gear problem has to do with the fact that the Q400 is a high-wing airplane!

Latest resources

Back