Thinking about regionals from corporate

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Speedwings,

I've been in your boat, although i did mostly Part 91 on a Lear 25 for a private owner. (i'll refrain from calling it corporate flying - i made that mistake once and got 30 replies debating what kind of flying i was doing, with maybe 5 posts answering my original question.

I have several friends who fly with here at Comair who live in MSP. Hard to get in, but they'll love your stats versus a CFI. mins are 1200/200 i'd imagine competitive is more like 2500 TT, and the type rating will go a long way....

Both Comair and Delta fly to MSP so commuting won't be much trouble. You could always jumpseat on Mesaba as well.

i think it's universally accepted that we currently have the best contract in the industry. still, the first year hurts. Pay is about $250/week during 3 months of training, then $22.50/hr the first year. Second year pay is @ $35/hr on the 50-seat RJ, more on the 70. per diem is $1.65/hour away from base. we're getting more 70-seat jets next year, and we're hiring 250 new pilots. those are firm numbers.

management asked us to take concessions so that we MIGHT be able to bid successfully on 45 new RJs (versus lower cost regionals). We said no thank you. While we might not get those 45 jets, the rumor mill has it that we'll get ACA's 32 328 Dornier jets when they go independent. My personal opinion is don't believe anything any airline tells you unless the airplanes are being delivered.

union dues are 2% of watever your salary is, although you do NOT pay dues the first year - you're on probation so you have to keep your nose clean.

there are a lot of lifers at Comair. it's a great place to work, with a strong pilot group. i myself would like to go to a major if the opportunity presents itself and i think it's a good company. i hear horizon is very much a career place, hardly anybody leaves there. of coursem it takes 12 years to get from the Dash - 8 to the RJ because of it...

>If my goals are to gain seniority and a decent schedule quickly, >what are the top 3 regionals I should pursue?

if comair's growth does slow substantially, seniority and upgrades will take much longer. that said, i was a lineholder in less than 4 months, i fly 4 4-day trips a month, and i usually get two weekends off a month, but i got lucky, i've got 300 guys below me now. i'll make about $22k the first year, at least $36k the second year. pretty good work rules in our contract. scheduling follows the contract. chief pilots are there to help you.

as for others, hard to say. Chatauqua certainly seems poised for big growth, and the recently improved their contract. that might be a place to go and wait for the contract to get better the next round. it's possible ASA will get some healthy growth, although they're mired in renegotiations right now. Mesa will probably continue to grow, but that might be too much like your current job.

get whatever interviews you can and go with your gut. Good luck!

Thank you Captainv, Gulfstream and the rest of you! You guys are great and I really appreciate the advice. I was afraid to even leave my initial post here in Regionals for fear of being flamed big time.

I am in the process of updating the resumes today and I think I will be sending them out next week with a few walk-ins too. Now I just have to figure out how to get days off if I have an interview with any of these companies.

Since you all are great about answering my questions, I have a few more:

At Comair, Pinnacle, or Mesaba, is there a wait to get health ins?

Are these regionals somewhat flexible on interview dates or should I drop everything, call in sick at work, and take any date they give me?

Does my type rating really mean much to a regional? Even if it's in a jet far from a CRJ/ERJ? How do they view 135PIC turbine time?

Does Comair have a commuting policy (I think that's what it's called) that allows you X number of flights to get to your base or not?

Thanks again!

Hey Speedwings, I don't work for any of the above (I'm CHQ) but I have some friends that do. Don't know about insurance, but I know that Comair has a commuter policy. My unsolicited advice: yes, drop everything and take the first interview date you can. Especially if it's with Comair (the current "brass ring"); a difference in interview dates can mean months longer or shorter swimming in the pool. Also... you might consider the lowly "chicken taco". We don't make as much money as Comair, but with our new contract the money's better, we have some great qol improvements, and bases in STL and PHL that would be easily commutable from MSP. And yes, I would think the type rating helps; at least it would with us. It shows your ability to learn an airplane with complex systems... my understanding is the Hawker is more complex than the ERJ anyway:)

Good luck whatever you decide.

AEWANABE, How "hard" is the 1500 TT min. at CHQ? With 500 multi and 400 turbine, is there a chance they'd take less?

I'm in a similar boat as SPEEDWINGS, doing the 91/135 thing in Hawkers and King Airs (though I'm not typed yet) for a company that I believe FALCON CAPT used to work for. My pay would essentially be halved, going to first year pay at a regional. But, I think I'd be happier with the lifestyle change. I think the decision of airlines vs. 91/135 ultimately comes down to personality/personal prefererence and where one wants to be 10 or so years down the road. There are true corporate jobs that are undeniably good and airline jobs that are undeniably good. It's all about where you want to be, and if you can enjoy the ride~

turbo

Last edited:
CHQ Mins

hard to say about the mins, Turbo. When I was hired, and more recently as well, people have had less than the "hard" numbers, but in my class they were all CFIs from the larger Pilot Factories (Pan AM, DCI academy, etc...). I'd go ahead and apply anyway; I do know that CHQ looks favorably on both corporate/charter types and freight dogs, and high multi and turbine time can't hurt. Good luck.

Health Insurance is pretty much standard at every regional. start dates vary from your first day after your checkride to 90 days later...

Mesaba has health from day one, Pinnacle you have to wait 90 days after DOH, which is your checkride. Double check that with a Pinnacle person.
Don't know Pinnacle's commuter policy, but Mesaba has a decent one, give yourself 2 Northwest, Pinnacle, Mesaba, or any combo of flights to get there, last one arrives no later than 1 hour before show time. They'll get you on the second one. If they cancel you're off the hook until you can get there.
CVG and STL are easy commutes, if there is such a thing. You'll miss nights at home commuting, guaranteed, and you'll start out commuting at Mesaba.
I think Mesaba would like your credentials a lot, but you might need a "walk in" to get noticed. Put your MN address in BIG BOLD letters, and it might help :) As an outsider I can't help but notice how much they like their hometown boys and girls here. Despite how much I hate our management, I guess I'm still recommending this place. Life will be normal after our soon to be decided contract.

Speedwings,

At Comair, i think we had 30 days to enroll in the health insurance, wasn't a priority for me so i waited till the deadline. the insurance is pretty good, we ended up dropping my wife's coverage (schoolteacher in ATL), Comair offered the same level of coverage, but cheaper than she got through the school district.

Take the earliest possible date they can give you. Drop everything, call in with explosive diarrhea if you have to. are you in a situation where you can't tell your boss? mine wasn't happy about it, but he appreciated the honesty...

>Does my type rating really mean much to a regional? Even if it's in a jet far from a CRJ/ERJ?

sure it does. it says you know how to fly a jet that i guarantee is harder to fly than the RJ, and you'll have no trouble in training.

although times were different, i interviewed in Aug 02, started class in Nov 02. out of 14 in my class, i was tied for lowest time in my class with 1500 hours. the other guy was a Comair academy grad. of those, 1100 were in jets (long story - but yes, i was a lucky ba$tard) with only about 200 PIC in a Lear 25 doing Part 91 flying. my jet time and my type were what got me my job.

Comair does indeed have a commuter policy. others do too, but surprisingly ASA does not. be at the gate for two flights that get in at least 30 minutes before your report time. if you don't get on, call scheduling and just get up there as soon as practical.

as for where to go, get as much info as you can from us. QOL, pay rates, min guarantee, min days off, time on reserve, guesstimate to upgrade, what kind of equipment, what kind of attitude during training, benefits, relationship with management, do the chief pilots fight for you or the company, etc.

growth at Comair may indeed be slowing, but we're hiring 250 FO's next year. That's rock solid, based on the 8 CRJ 700 deliveries. If we get the 32 DoJets or any of the phantom 45 RJs, well, you get the point.

if upgrade/senority are paramount, probably CHQ is the one to look at. our guys like to bash them (lingering sour grapes over losing MCO i imagine), but at least they signed a contract that was better than the one before it. Not many airlines do that anymore. Mesaba's a good group of people, but the possibility of losing the Avro and 40% of its staff is a bit chilling...

but, as always, try to get hired by everyone and pick the one that feels right for you.

Turbo said:
I'm doing the 91/135 thing in Hawkers and King Airs (though I'm not typed yet) for a company that I believe FALCON CAPT used to work for.
Hhmmm... I don't think so, but send me a PM with the name and I'll tell you if you are right...

Latest posts

Latest resources

Back