• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

Things Crew Members do to annoy you - Post em Up

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
The only way you are going to get rid of the problems you speak of is to fly with a co-pilot who will stand up to you. You simply do not respect anyone you fly with.

Do you drbrief after a flight so these issues do not surface again? I already know the answer to this, but thought I wouls ask anyways.

Why would you let anyone you are flying with search for an airway for 10 minutes? Instead of ripping the chart out of his hand, offering to show him a quicker way to find it might get you a little further. The F/Os are nervous when you fly with them. Is that not apparent?

Of your 5 examples, 80% were co-pilot issues. 60% when you were the captain, and 20% when you were the co-pilot (engine start). As a captain you have problems with your F/Os and when you are not in charge you have a problem with how the Captains do their job.

You have no idea how badly I wish I could get paired up with you on a trip.
What annoys me is the following

Co Pilots who call the airport in sight when I dont have it in sight and its another airport.

When ATC asks for heading people respond to heaind 268 degrees. Uhh why not 270?

Co pilots who cant find an airway after 15 minutes and you have to rip the chart out of their hands and find it for them. They they say, "oh, there it is"

Pilots who start up engines, then get the clearance, then run the checklist, then call for taxi (10 minutes after you pushed START)

Had a co pilot 15 miles from the airport and I asked for flaps 15 degrees and he put the landing gear down. I said, I asked for Flaps 15 not the landing gear (its always the same sequence), he then brought the gear back up, to only in 2 min later put it back down, GRRRRRRRRR He's gone...

Thats all for now

Well I am with Gear Up! on most of those issues... I mean its not like your in the right seat to be spoon-fed... your a Professional (co)pilot making money to sit there and hopefully ensure a safe landing everytime...

Being able to find stuff on a chart, run numbers, talk on the radio is all stuff you should figure while building time as an instructor, unless you were able to figure it out while flying a 172 around with 100 hours.

I will admit I call the airport insight early and when I was an FO some captains would get mad. I asked them "well do you have the airport in sight" they reply "yes, but you should ask me" ... If you can't see Las Vegas from midway down the arrival there are issues.

NCerches,

I should have eloborated more than I did. Please don't get thie impression that I believe the people in his examples have an excuses for the things they were doing; just the opposite in fact. You are correct. There comes a point where the rubber meets the road, and if you want to play Mr. Pilot, you need to confirm that it is OK to call the field, or ask what to do to clean up this mess after you have put the gear down by mistake. But there is a tactful way to deal with a situation like that. An F/O who has a couple years experience has no business making those types of mistakes on a consistant basis. But the new F/O, 3 monhts out of night freight in Barons is just not going to be up to speed, and kicking him in the teeth everytime he screws up just because some Capt in hunting for something to light him up about is just as bad as the mistakes the F/O is making. I guess I was just hoping as professionals it is not an accepted practice to rip anything out of the copi's hands in frustration; if the ground is staring you in the face, well, that's a different story, but that is simply not the case in most day to day flying.
Well I am with Gear Up! on most of those issues... I mean its not like your in the right seat to be spoon-fed... your a Professional (co)pilot making money to sit there and hopefully ensure a safe landing everytime...

Being able to find stuff on a chart, run numbers, talk on the radio is all stuff you should figure while building time as an instructor, unless you were able to figure it out while flying a 172 around with 100 hours.

I will admit I call the airport insight early and when I was an FO some captains would get mad. I asked them "well do you have the airport in sight" they reply "yes, but you should ask me" ... If you can't see Las Vegas from midway down the arrival there are issues.

LRvsH25B vbmenu_register("postmenu_1669463", true);

First of all I beleive the thread to this was things that annoy you? Not "Scenario's of new co pilots!" I debrief each and everyone one to better themselves. Everyone has been there. Ripping the chart out was a bit of an exageration. If you didnt catch that! As far as your "%" numbers, Please preach that to someone who cares. The Engine Start Up, was refering to others!! Oh and If you wanna get paired up with me, No Problem. PM me and I will make it happen!!!!!

Awe the emotions of the Online Forum... I'm off to the Manager's Reception.

I agree with LRvsH25B. I've flown with captains that would rather make both of your lives hell and further degrade CRM than to help a new guy out.

Latest resources

Back