• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The Upcoming Structural Pilot Shortage is REAL - merged

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I don't know, the've been saying there's gong to be a shortage since the 90's and it hasn't happened yet. And I don't consider jobs in China and round the world a shortage, how about here?

atpcliff said:
Hi!

Tons of planes being built and 1/2 the new pilot starts.

Good Luck To You!

cliff
ELP

wrxpilot said:
I was talking to a flight school about their hiring policy if I got my CFI there... They said if I passed my CFI I'd be hired for sure, they are hurting for CFIs. Crazy. Hopefully this isn't a spurious event, it's scary to be putting it all out there for an aviation career.

Help me understand. 1/2 the new pilot starts, yet hurting for CFI's. This does not make sense. If you have 1/2 the new pilot starts, you only need have the CFI's. Right?

Sounds like fuzzy math to me.

Hi!

Here's some additional info:
In 2005, virtually ALL the jet makers had the highest number of orders ever placed for their jets. The US military is cutting back on pilot training numbers.

If you're complaining about the hiring practices of the regionals today, look at the majors yesterday. UAL was recruiting in HS kids and hiring any of them that had PPLs. They'd pay for their commercial training and start them in ground school as soon as they passed their commercial checkride.

It helps to be in the right place at the right time!

cliff
ELP

Interesting how the 'lines would always go for the cheapest hires when thousands of more qualified pilots are available and would accept the job if only it payed a living wage.

Best,

huh? it must be a shortage in the turbo prop 121 world. Jets are good in the 135 world...dogg

Let's see:
Pilot pay down 40-50%, all raises and cost of living increases gone...
1980's pay was higher in dollars, no equalizing to today's dollars required...
Never at home...
On duty 14+ hours a day and getting paid for 3-4 hours...
Having to deal with the folks Greyhound won't...
Living in the thriving cities of Atlanta, Newark, and/or Los Angeles with 10-15 roommates so as to sleep on a cot on $10,000 the first year...
Knowing that a certain amount of ignoring maintenance items is required...
Random drug testing...
No alcohol the night before...
No recreational drugs the night before...
Ritalin is disqualifying...
Medicals every 6 months to 3 years...
Studying required...
Tests every 6 months at a minimum, random tests whenever a Fed feels like it...
Management golden parachutes mean you lose your job and can't hire elsewhere...
Senority systems that means Dumbo gets paid more than you for less work...
No ability to work elsewhere without starting at the bottom again...
And entry costs for the career run $24,000 and up.

Who wants to be an airline pilot again?

Last edited:
On the other hand, I just had five different prospects in the office this past week.

All had the money to fly as much as they wanted and even buy whatever plane they desired. All could make the time commitment required to study and learn to fly. All had the desire to learn to do it right. Finally, these are the guys sitting behind the pros on the business jets, all owning companies that can afford to properly operate jets.

Whatever these gentlemen decide for their flight school and airplane, they will be successful.

And the shortage will only get worse as the recalls start going back to their jobs at the majors, the June 2007 hiring boom is right on track.

Latest resources

Back