• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The State of Georgia and Delta

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Let me try to shed a little light on this form the other side of "C" concourse.

1) AirTran has negotiated guarantees from several communities, including ICT and PNS. GPT (mentioned in a previous string by some mistaken someone) hasn't been subsidized for several years).

Regardless, that agreement is normally sought after by the local business community, who realizes that they will pay much higher airfares if there is no low-cost competition . . . . so much higher, that they are willing to got through the painful process of hitting up the local business community (first) and, in some cases, the local government, for contributions to a fund.

That fund, BTW, is there to pay some start-up advertising costs, and then guarantees a certain level of ridership. Months that fall below that dollar amount are "evened out" from the fund. If memory serves me correctly, PNS was a paltry 2.5 million dollars a year, which was solicited from the local business community. Result? They went from 5 DAL flights per day to ATL to more that 8, and 0 Airtran flights to over 3-5 per day, depending on the season. In other words, the number of flights more than doubled, while the cost was cut in half . . . hmmmmn, seems like a smart decision was made by the PNS Chamber of Commerce.

2) Don't think that AirTran pilots are gloating over DAL and/or NWA filing bankruptcy. That's the worst thing that could happen to us.

Best of luck, guys . . . .

General Lee said:
In related news, the Georgia Senate and House Transportation committees will meet Sept. 22 to discuss what the state can do to keep Delta Air Lines viable and assist those that are impacted.
Declare a national emergency...if we can put welfare rats in house trailers and feed them, the least we can do is provide medical attention to people that are impacted.

sleepy said:
The State of Georgia can buy some cheap forclosure houses in Peachtree City and use them to house all of these hurricane victums that are pouring into our state.

Hopefully our taxpayers will not have to pay one cent to DAL, we paid their high fares for years before AirTran arrived.

Already happened last week. At least every forclosure in Coweta County was taken off the market to be used as hurricane relief housing.

Frequency said:
South of Atlanta??? sounds like they are worried about the housing market in Peachtree City! Guess they'll have to sell their 1.5 Million dollar houses. What about those North, West and East??? I dont get it...

What 1.5 million dollar houses? I haven't seen 'em. Besides, Delta employees make up a VERY small percentage of the Coweta and Fayette counties.

I am a Deltoid and a native Cowetian (my Dad just happened to get a job where my family was from). Both counties where doing just fine back when Delta was a fifth the size that it is now. All the growth south of Atlanta has not been because of only Delta.

BTW, PTC was ranked as the 8th most desirable city in the country to live in or around a couple of months ago.

General Lee said:
That's great and all, but they should have started that with United and USair. Delta has tried to stay out of court for 4 years now. So, not allowing them the same protection is wrong. If United and USAir would have gone away, chances are Delta and the others would have been better off by now too. Also, if many had their way, personal bankruptcy people should be shot too. This is America--and everyone gets a second chance. But, three years in Chap 11 may be a tad bit too much. A time limit should be in order. (hence the new rules---18 months will be the limit)

Bye Bye--General Lee

Nice underhanded slight there General, guess I expected more from you.

Four year plan huh? Let me guess....cross your fingers and hope and pray UAL/USAIR liquidates? Be honest, the facade known as your four year business plan....was just that, a thinly veiled attempt at chicken....

Don't blink now.......

Sorry to disapoint ya bubba, I feel for ya...been there as you say for 3 years plus, it's not a nice place to be. Might I suggest to you and your management team too concentrate on your own house before you wish finality for your friendly neighbors up north.

Good luck, were all going to need it.

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back