• Start date
  • Watchers 46

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
It seems to me that the age 60 issue kind of went quiet in the late 90's when all airlines where making $$ hand over fist. In fact pilot's desire were to enhace current benefits. I personally think 60 is just a number like any other and in fact it represents age discrimination, consistent with our constitution.

However, what if the airlines started making good $$ again and we are all able to get our retirements back and enhance it significantly, do we still want an age change? Perhaps this is an issue we should strongly consider endorsing during the good times, to ensure we don't get stucked with something the maybe we didn't want in the first place.

I think the bottomline is that no matter how much we complain about this issue, unfortunatelly age 60 will only change if it makes economic sense for the airlines. It seems nowadays that the senate and house committees strongly favor corporations in their policy making process.

Last edited:
Like i have said before..it seems to be a personal choice..my personal choice is to retire early with no penalties if at all possible..i do disagree with guys wanting this rule because of personal financial mistakes..or that someone retired from the military with a retirement already and wants more..thats just selfish..i am a believer in the age 60 rule..let the junior guys have a shot..no big deal...i could be selfish too and not give a crap about the junior crews and say " i got mine " screw them..."fly till you die" ....65 would give me 29 more years of this job...SCREW THAT!!! Foxhunter...did i welcome you back? ...also i hear fred is pushing for the retreads to fly RIGHT seat only...

b757driver said:
Hate to say it guys, but the foreign carriers are taking the lead here. Some of them have had the over 60 rule for several years! And yes, they do fly into/out of the US. It's just a matter of time now to catch up with the rest of the world. If you want to retire early - and can afford to - go ahead and good luck to you. Those that want to continue and are able, fine.
quote]</p>Be like foreign carriers? Sounds OK, maybe. How about we also abandon the DOH seniority system? Re-bid the airline with employee performance evals and then go to rostering and assingments. There would be a lot of pilots changing seats at CAL.

CaptainMark said:
...also i hear fred is pushing for the retreads to fly RIGHT seat only...

Had not heard this, but it sounds pretty good. It would satisfy the requirement for one pilot to be under age 60 quite seemlessly. It patterns the already established way a over 60 FE is utilized. I think they need to be surplussed to the bottom of the seniority list, below any furloughees.

Last edited:
Thirty-five years ago, when I first started flying for a living, an old Western Airlines captain assured me that the age 60 rule would eventually be abolished before it would affect me. I would have never guessed that it could still be around in 2006.

Understandably, junior pilots are worried that changing the age 60 rule would cause promotional stagnation. What junior pilots need to understand is that, if they haven't realized it yet, promotions today---yesterday---and forever are related to growth--not attrition. Most pilots remember the mid 80's thru the 90's when a hiring frenzy produced five year upgrades to captain. That wasn't because a lot of older pilots were leaving the property.

I have an answer to all the younger pilots out there who fear that a change to the age 60 rule would be unfair to them by slowing upgrades and causing seniority list stagnation. I say then, make it mandatory for all pilots to retire after serving no more than 20 years with a company or age 65 whichever comes first. If you hire on with a company at age 25, then you are kicked out of the cockpit when you turn age 45 or if you hire on at 45, you retire at 65. That would be equally fair for all and give everyone just enough time to build their 401K.

Klako said:
Thirty-five years ago, when I first started flying for a living, an old Western Airlines captain assured me that the age 60 rule would eventually be abolished before it would affect me. I would have never guessed that it could still be around in 2006.

Understandably, junior pilots are worried that changing the age 60 rule would cause promotional stagnation. What junior pilots need to understand is that, if they haven't realized it yet, promotions today---yesterday---and forever are related to growth--not attrition. Most pilots remember the mid 80's thru the 90's when a hiring frenzy produced five year upgrades to captain. That wasn't because a lot of older pilots were leaving the property.

I have an answer to all the younger pilots out there who fear that a change to the age 60 rule would be unfair to them by slowing upgrades and causing seniority list stagnation. I say then, make it mandatory for all pilots to retire after serving no more than 20 years with a company or age 65 whichever comes first. If you hire on with a company at age 25, then you are kicked out of the cockpit when you turn age 45 or if you hire on at 45, you retire at 65. That would be equally fair for all and give everyone just enough time to build their 401K.

Excellent post! Can't say fairer than that......

Are you kidding me. Retire at age 45?

How does that help growth when you are increasing your training costs dramatically? The money to hire and train all those new pilots has to come from somewhere?

How does letting your competition hire a multi type rated 45 year old captain help you? How does putting a 45 year old, 20 year airline captain on the street reduce costs. It doesn't. So growth stagnates.

How does it lower costs? Once you reach 12 year pay, it doesn't matter if you have been with the airline 13 or 30 years.

Last edited:
Righting a wrong by allowing pilots to remain employed to 63 would cause 3 years of stagnation but would allow most of those subjected to stagnation to be at the top of their scale for 3 more years. Unless you are a 58 year old F/O this seems quite fair. And this stagnation only occurs once. The newbie getting his commercial 3 years from now will only know he's got 3 additional earning years ahead of him. And with little hope of more stability in the future, those 3 years could be quite important to alot of people.

The whole A-plan distribution limit issue is by and large a thing of the past and does not justify perpetuating this injustice to pilots who can and want to work. If you are set on retiring at 60, study the stock market, make some good picks and then have at it.

Latest resources

Back