• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The RJDC is a cancer on the industry

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why are the majors (NWA and Continental) spinning off their wholely-owned regionals (ie. NWA and the all-new Pinnacle Airlines)?

FDJ:

Re: point #1 - 'Not all successful lawsuits have merit.' - True. And if all settlement offers have come from RJDC, I'd like to see some evidence of that claim. Good luck getting any info about it out of ALPA. This is from RJDC's bulletin: "In response to ALPA’s request, we have formally submitted a proposal designed to foster a process that could resolve the numerous and complex issues in a credible and expeditious manner." I know the fact that it came from the RJDC website doesn't carry much weight with you, but I'm interested to see evidence from you to the contrary.

Re: point #2 - No, I'm not smoking crack, and you're not looking at my post as a whole, but rather on a sentence-by-sentence basis, apparently. I know DALPA would never do this on their own - they would be forced to act in a fair manner, either by settlement or by a judge. 'We will leave ALPA way before ever agreeing to something like that' - for the record, I believe that to be untrue.

Re: your point #3 - if Delta only offered 1 or 2 daily flights on a 767, you'd have a hard time filling them, as the passengers who want more travel choices would go elsewhere. But eventually some if not all of those RJs will be upgraded to larger equipment. And while writing this I just downloaded the latest flight schedules, and what do you know - there are 5 daily round-trips between ATL and YYZ, and 2 of them are MD-80's. Interesting...

MetroSheriff:

Including ASA/Comair in the DAL system block hours would hurt DALPA tremendously, as it would allow mgt to use RJs and cheap labor (read ASA/Comair) as replacement flying at their leisure, with no incentive whatsoever to restore any higher paying mainline jobs or flying.
How do you figure? If there are 100 people wanting to fly at 8am, an RJ won't do. Period. Leo isn't stupid, and contrary to popular belief I'm sure he doesn't spend all his time and energy figuring out ways to screw the Delta pilots.

That would then open the 34% of the allowed feed for outside "contract" partners (Skywest, Eagle, ACA, etc.)
No, you just didn't understand what I was saying. Having DCI included in the block hours would be incentive for DALPA to more seriously pursue onelist. And I did say that the percentage for the non-W/O carriers would be renegotiated (i.e., downward).

Personally, I would like to see it (greivance) resolved in such away that the % that DALPA negotiated is enforced hard and fast, and take some wind out of the RJDC complaint by stipulating that the % which IS allowed is to performed ONLY by W/O carriers. This would maintain the integrity of the DALPA PWA, as it was negotiated, with reference to the %s, and with the contract carriers out of the picture, provide security and HUGE growth potential to the W/O carriers while staying under the %s established by the DALPA PWA. At that point, I think the RJDC would be essentially neutered. It would be hard for the RJDC to maintain their claims of foul play when DALPA had done something like that to provide job security and career enhancement to the DCI W/O in the terms of the PWA.
That is very true, and would be a pretty good solution to the problem. But would DALPA go for it? And if so, why haven't they already?

I just have to vent a little to the pro RJDC KKK:

Even though it takes several years to get to that 100K at a regional, do you really think you're not getting represented when you remember the fact that you made less than half that pay not five years ago?

Do you really think that the little RJDC Klan is more intelligent than the collective past and present ALPA? Because that's what it sounds like.

It seems to me that what you really want is the onelist. Which means that you would like a collective group of pilots that work for an airline that is not that hard to get on with to get a free ride into an airline that is EXTREMELY difficult to get on with. You should be so lucky.

My only hope is that after this whole RJDC fad is crushed, that a list of RJDC KKK members, similar to a SCAB list, is published and distributed. You can bet I'll use it!

Flame all you want, but the whole RJDC KKKthing is a disgrace to the industry and will only harm if it succeeds.

RJFlyer said:
MetroSheriff:

No, you just didn't understand what I was saying. Having DCI included in the block hours would be incentive for DALPA to more seriously pursue onelist. And I did say that the percentage for the non-W/O carriers would be renegotiated (i.e., downward).

That is very true, and would be a pretty good solution to the problem. But would DALPA go for it? And if so, why haven't they already?

I think I missed the intent of your earlier statement. I read the earlier post and see what you were saying, and that makes sense. Sorry I misunderstood you.

av8instyle said:
I just have to vent a little to the pro RJDC KKK:

Even though it takes several years to get to that 100K at a regional, do you really think you're not getting represented when you remember the fact that you made less than half that pay not five years ago?

Do you really think that the little RJDC Klan is more intelligent than the collective past and present ALPA? Because that's what it sounds like.

It seems to me that what you really want is the onelist. Which means that you would like a collective group of pilots that work for an airline that is not that hard to get on with to get a free ride into an airline that is EXTREMELY difficult to get on with. You should be so lucky.

My only hope is that after this whole RJDC fad is crushed, that a list of RJDC KKK members, similar to a SCAB list, is published and distributed. You can bet I'll use it!

Flame all you want, but the whole RJDC KKKthing is a disgrace to the industry and will only harm if it succeeds.

Sir,

While I disagree with some of the RJDC methods comparing it to the KKK is offensive at best. As is your reference to scabs. In fact your entire post is fairly objectionable. If you have something usefull to add, whether you agree or disagree, post away, otherwise keep the flamebait to yourself.

While I disagree with some of the RJDC methods comparing it to the KKK is offensive at best. As is your reference to scabs. In fact your entire post is fairly objectionable. If you have something usefull to add, whether you agree or disagree, post away, otherwise keep the flamebait to yourself.
The RJDC is offensive at best! As are SCABS. In fact the RJDC motives are what is questionable. If you didn't want opinions, you're in the wrong country.

RJFlyer said:
ALPA recognizes that they've negotiated the Delta contract in bad faith, as it applies to ASA and Comair, and agree to renegotiate the scope clause to properly address the wholly-owned issue.

RJFlyer,
I am curious, did ALPA negotiate the Delta contract or did DALPA? It is my understanding that DALPA negotiated the contract for the Delta pilots however; I have been wrong before.

RJ,

#1. I found the settlement offer on the rjdc's website. I have not found one on ALPA's. You are correct that this does not mean that ALPA has not made one, but I believe that I am correct when I speculate that a plaintiff who had an airtight case and stood to win everything he wanted would not offer to settle.

#2. I believe that I have a much better handle on the mood of the Delta pilot than you do. Scope has become a HUGE issue, and you can be certain that we would leave ALPA before being forced to weaken our scope. I cannot force you to believe me, but I can tell you the current attitude of the Delta pilot group.

#3. I did not have the schedule in front of me when I posted. I was under the impression that we had switched to all crjs. I stand corrected, but my point still stands. Two MD-80's out of seven flights does not change my point. But I will say again, I have no problem with any of Leo's economic decisions. He is way smarter than I am, and if he believes that we need to switch to an all rj fleet, than I can't argue. I won't be happy about it, but he is the expert.

All I want is for him to comply with our contract. DCI can make up a certain percentage (depending on the year) of our total flying. If Leo wants to use rjs to make up more than that percentage, he is welcome to do so. But WE must fly them. All we are asking him to do is comply with the contract that he signed. I am not sure why that is so unpopular.

Latest resources

Back