• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The proper Jeppesen Approach Briefing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Why do you brief a missed approach altitude of 2000 feet AGL? Traffic pattern altitude for turbine airplanes is 1500 AGL.

To be honest I had a few Capt brief it like that alt, I guess I just picked it up as habit... 1500 is probably more correct, point taken.

What gets my dander up is when someone says 604, 804 or something short like that, then they want you to go thru thru the full brief when it's your turn. It is usually followed by "you should always do it the right way so when you get to your checkride you won't slip up and have to think of the proper way." It goes the same for takeoff briefing.

the full brief when it's your turn.
The full brief then:

This will be an ILS 30L dated (insert pg. date) 604 HTDZ -804 DA any questions?

The current long winded briefs are for the lawyers it adds only an opportunity for mis-understanding....imo
simple works simple is safer.

You can find the FAA recommended briefing items for part 121 carriers in AC120-74A, appendix 5. It is about page 36 of the document if you open it in adobe. It give a couple of examplesfor SIDs, approach, and airport diagrams.

Well there you go. Somebody had to go and add an FAA reference to ruin this thread. Dang!
Glad to here the Chancellory is bending to some TWAism's. (Awaiting my dark side assimilation)

Well, here's my two cents:

I always use the acronym ANWB

Aircraft
Notams
Weather
Briefing

Aircraft, brief any items that pertain to faults with the aircraft, like MEL items or failures that arised during the flight

Notams, brief any notam applicable to the briefing you are about to give ie landing: approach items, taxiway closures etc.

Weather: minima's, runway conditions( standing rain, snow etc having a impact on braking distance) temperature(cold weather corrections) altimeter setting etc

Don't necessarily have to mention all the above stated but at least think about them because they have an impact on the briefing.

Briefing: at the least mention the aircraft/brake/thrust revearser configuration because they differ according pilot preference and airport conditions, so don't assume the other pilot knows. All ILS's are the same they start at approx 2000' 6 miles out, no use in mentioning the inbound courses and altitudes and frequencies, you are profesional pilots and can read. Often forgotten though.. the fuel status. brief the amount of fuel and the course af action in case of a missed. mention taxi route in case of a unfamiliar airport. Always mention the minima's, especially when transferring from a turboprop to a jet, it's easy to overlook cat B v. cat c minima's or when flying a VNAV approach, don't use the ILS minima!

Many more things to add but the standard briefing goes something like: Aircraft wearher and notams are okay. We are going to fly the ILS to runway.... minima's are..... flaps 30, autobrake..... idle/normal reverse, in case of a missed we do......(divert/try again)

There is much more to the decision making proces of a succesful approach...howevere the brief should highlight the most important items amd make sure both pilots are in loop. You have slips and mistakes.

A slip is when a crew executes a good plan wrongly, easy to catch.

A mistake is when a bad plan is executed correctly!!!!

Anyways, that's my 2 cents

Last edited:
If your brief lasts longer than 20 seconds my eyes will be glazing over if it's a CAT1, VOR, LOC. A CATII, III, is another story. An NDB is an emergency!
A brief is just that, brief.

I agree but briefs set the tone and are important. There is nothing more that I laugh at then some sloppy capt who isn't professional enough to properly and thorougly brief an approach. This lack of professionalism gets on my nerves.

I agree but briefs set the tone and are important. There is nothing more that I laugh at then some sloppy capt who isn't professional enough to properly and thorougly brief an approach. This lack of professionalism gets on my nerves

See if you still feel the same way when as Captain you are flying a VFR approach, backing it up with the ILS 27, for the 500th time with your FO droning on with a 3 minute brief on a plate that you have memorized. Especially when he briefs over an ATC instruction that is more pertinent than the note that DME is required for this approach.

See if you still feel the same way when as Captain you are flying a VFR approach, backing it up with the ILS 27, for the 500th time with your FO droning on with a 3 minute brief on a plate that you have memorized.

Ok, point taken. I can see that all you captains have such great skills that you dont need me to be here to start out with. Im just a seat warmer. Got it! But is it so much to ask of you just to entertain my rookieness and pretend to listen for an extra 30secs. Im sure that my presence only satisfies the FAA and no one else, but I can use some self-respect at the end of the day because you pretended to listen instead of looking out to infinity or focus on the vast body of water below. See, I was never that great of a captain in the regional to start out with.

Man, I need some therapy!

Last edited:

Latest resources

Back