• Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The proper Jeppesen Approach Briefing

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
I feel that it is also important to brief which way to turn when exiting the runway. Doesn't sound like a big deal, but everyonce in a while I forget where I'm going once I get on the ground. All of the other stuff is nice too.

:puke:
PF: What runway they uzin?
PNF: 9L.
PF: Did ya string it?
PNF: Yup.
PF: Any questions?
PNF: We only got a 30 minute turn, what you want to eat?
PF: Popeye's works for me. Briefing complete.
...yep...yer one of those "Mr. Cool" dudettes...based upon yer own posts...well, I'm an ole-school dude...so there-in lies the differences...and you got really thin skin...and ya don't take the time to actually read anything...sure hope it's VFR on yer legs...and jez keep the autopilot on...I don't wanna get the pax sick...:puke:

If it ain't brief it ain't a brief. At my previous airline the briefs were just about perfect. "Visual to 31R, back it up with the ILS freq 111.5, go around with the tower, left turn off, no specials. Any questions?." We aren't gonna fly the airplane any different than we did the last time. We all expected the guy flying would configure to the normal landing config and meet the stable approach criteria. It wasn't necessary to explain that every single time.

At my current airline (B6) we flap our gums about way too much for way too long.

Here is just some of the stuff I hear on a regular basis:

The runway is 9467 feet long, with 7967 feet remaining after the TDZ. It's 150 feet wide with MALSR approach lights and a PAPI on the left side. Height above touchdown is 56 feet. This brief is included for VISUAL approaches! Why do I need to know exactly how long and wide the runway is and exactly how much is remaining after the TDZ. The runway is 9500 feet long. Good enough. All that other stuff is redundant. The TDZ almost always subtracts about 1500 feet. Why even mention it? All the runways are 150 or 100 feet wide. If they weren't we wouldn't be landing on it. Is there any airport we fly to that isn't long enough or wide enough? Why is the HAT important? The airplane is gonna be at about 50' over the numbers every time unless you fcuked it up.

Full missed approach brief for a visual approach? It's going to be heading and altitude as assigned by the tower. Who doesn't already know that?

Standard strategy,flaps full, autobrakes low, idle reverse and spoilers as necessary. Really? When in the last year and a half has it been anything other than what you just described.? Just tell me when it's going to be something different.

Threats are it's dark out. No shiite, thanks for pointing that out.

Flight standards has tried to slim it down somewhat, but the OBD's (Original Blue Dudes) can't seem to let it go. They still brief (and I use that word reluctantly) everything. It's really pretty ridiculous. Like others have pointed out, you lose me when you start to read everything on the plate. I know how to fly a Cat I ILS. We've both done it a time or two. Brief the basics: runway length, ILS freq, FAF and altitude, turn out, DH/MDA, WX and anything unusual about the approach, the airport, or the airplane.

I'm also one of those slackers that doesn't feel the need to reinvent the wheel. How many times do I need to hear about the ILS 31R at JFK. It's my home airport. We've all done the approach 100 freaking times. "ILS 31R, nothings NOTAMed, WX is above mins, initial turn on the missed left turn direct Canarsie up to 1900 feet. No specials. Any questions?"

At the risk of starting a war, it's almost always the former mil dudes that want to brief your ears off. I know. It's a carry over from their previous lives. I understand. Most of us former regional pukes and single pilot freightdogs usually just politely listen and try to pay attention and pick out the important stuff. The rest is just background noise.

Flame suit on.

If it ain't brief it ain't a brief. At my previous airline the briefs were just about perfect. "Visual to 31R, back it up with the ILS freq 111.5, go around with the tower, left turn off, no specials. Any questions?." We aren't gonna fly the airplane any different than we did the last time. We all expected the guy flying would configure to the normal landing config and meet the stable approach criteria. It wasn't necessary to explain that every single time.

At my current airline (B6) we flap our gums about way too much for way too long.

Here is just some of the stuff I hear on a regular basis:

The runway is 9467 feet long, with 7967 feet remaining after the TDZ. It's 150 feet wide with MALSR approach lights and a PAPI on the left side. Height above touchdown is 56 feet. This brief is included for VISUAL approaches! Why do I need to know exactly how long and wide the runway is and exactly how much is remaining after the TDZ. The runway is 9500 feet long. Good enough. All that other stuff is redundant. The TDZ almost always subtracts about 1500 feet. Why even mention it? All the runways are 150 or 100 feet wide. If they weren't we wouldn't be landing on it. Is there any airport we fly to that isn't long enough or wide enough? Why is the HAT important? The airplane is gonna be at about 50' over the numbers every time unless you fcuked it up.

Full missed approach brief for a visual approach? It's going to be heading and altitude as assigned by the tower. Who doesn't already know that?

Standard strategy,flaps full, autobrakes low, idle reverse and spoilers as necessary. Really? When in the last year and a half has it been anything other than what you just described.? Just tell me when it's going to be something different.

Threats are it's dark out. No shiite, thanks for pointing that out.

Flight standards has tried to slim it down somewhat, but the OBD's (Original Blue Dudes) can't seem to let it go. They still brief (and I use that word reluctantly) everything. It's really pretty ridiculous. Like others have pointed out, you lose me when you start to read everything on the plate. I know how to fly a Cat I ILS. We've both done it a time or two. Brief the basics: runway length, ILS freq, FAF and altitude, turn out, DH/MDA, WX and anything unusual about the approach, the airport, or the airplane.

I'm also one of those slackers that doesn't feel the need to reinvent the wheel. How many times do I need to hear about the ILS 31R at JFK. It's my home airport. We've all done the approach 100 freaking times. "ILS 31R, nothings NOTAMed, WX is above mins, initial turn on the missed left turn direct Canarsie up to 1900 feet. No specials. Any questions?"

At the risk of starting a war, it's almost always the former mil dudes that want to brief your ears off. I know. It's a carry over from their previous lives. I understand. Most of us former regional pukes and single pilot freightdogs usually just politely listen and try to pay attention and pick out the important stuff. The rest is just background noise.

Flame suit on.
...that was a long brief...

Does anybody have a link or information about material on how Jeppesen actually thinks an approach should be briefed?
I have to come up with something for a flight school, so it has to be good. Thanks

Thanks

I'm on page 11-1, dated March 8, 2007...ILS RWY 5. Questions?

Don't work there anymore, but when I was a newbie at B6, I used to dread when the little "down arrow" that denotes the top of descent would come into view.

Because if it was my leg, I knew I was going to have to give one of those long ass briefings.

...I never saw an ILS that didn't have a runway at the end of it...except fer Kai Tek and Haneda...and Kai Tek ain't there anymore...

Latest resources

Back