Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The pilot shortage is already here. Airlines cut flights.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web
Canada is at 70 now. But, at 65 in Canada you have to go to the right seat of a narrowbody or IRO (Intl relief officer) on a Widebody. It protects upgrades, but hurts new hires. My AME stated the latest couple in flight deaths (like the United 737 Capt that died and they diverted into BOI) have put the kabosh on it for now. High profile stuff like that hurt that cause. We'll see... I doubt it though.Bye Bye---General Lee

I remember my AME saying the change from 60 to 65 would never happen. AME's know about nothing about what's going on inside the FAA or Congress. It's just a personal opinion.

If you go digging around, and not on the forums, you'll see there is NO organized effort to go from 65 to 70. There are no bills in Congress. There is no FAA proposed rule making. There are no focus groups. There is no organized grassroots group like APAAD. ALPA is hard set against another change. So is the APA and SWAPA. There is nothing out there.

A few guys talking it up in the bar or on a forum does not an effort make.

A non issue.

reepiheep...Exactly! and if a 16k hour guy is having trouble..there is NO shortage.

I bet he is sitting at home with his cats,wondering why the phone never rings, unless it's Scheduling.....

The Corndog Capts will push for it, no doubt.

Bye Bye---General Lee

And you will push up on your blow up doll after stuffing your zit encrusted face with legendary volumes of Little Debbie's finest processed sugar products. Go have your mom pop those zits on your back, you will feel and look better.

And you will push up on your blow up doll after stuffing your zit encrusted face with legendary volumes of Little Debbie's finest processed sugar products. Go have your mom pop those zits on your back, you will feel and look better.

Classic!! Bravo!!! Fantastic!! Yesssss!

Bye Bye---General Lee

SkyWest, arguably the best regional, has open interviews...u just show up. Endeavor and mesa have phone interview. I have read about guys with 5 interviews set up, or 3+ class dates. The UAL and republic CEO's have both said they r cutting flights due to a pilot shortage.

We've come a long way from the "pay for training" era of the 90's.

They are cutting flights because they don't want 50 seaters. If they really wanted to keep the flights I'm pretty sure they could afford to pay an extra 40 bucks an hour for the crew, and find some bodies to fill the seats...

SkyWest, arguably the best regional, has open interviews...u just show up. Endeavor and mesa have phone interview. I have read about guys with 5 interviews set up, or 3+ class dates. The UAL and republic CEO's have both said they r cutting flights due to a pilot shortage.

Just can't resist...:)

By best regional you do mean best this month/week/6 month period!!!!!

The term "best" and regional should never be put in the same sentence.. I rememebr a time, 10 years ago, I heard I worked for the best regional.. (they are out of business)... A case could have been made for COEX, EAGLE, ASA....

Having 5 interviews scheduled(while great for an applicant), is not huge news.. It was the same post 9/11

UA cutting flights has less to do with their own staffing rather their desire to cut 50 seat flying. (But placing blame on 1500 hrs and pilot shortages to gain government support)

There is no way any major is having staffing issues, and if a regional is having trouble it's of their own doing.. (Plus they had plenty of time to prepare for the new rules as well as 117)

Latest resources

Back