Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Friendliest aviation Ccmmunity on the web
  • Modern site for PC's, Phones, Tablets - no 3rd party apps required
  • Ask questions, help others, promote aviation
  • Share the passion for aviation
  • Invite everyone to Flightinfo.com and let's have fun

The owner wants to listen in on cockpit communications.

Welcome to Flightinfo.com

• Register now and join the discussion
  • Modern secure site, no 3rd party apps required
  • Invite your friends
  • Share the passion of aviation
  • Friendliest aviation community on the web

CitationCapt

STILL determined
An aircraft owner wants to install a patch cord and headset to listen in on cockpit communications. Anyone out there in corporate aviation confronted with this and how did you handle it?

CC

We told ours(who is also a certificated pilot, but old) that it would be VERY expensive to run a set of jacks back to his seat. Really pricey.

Good luck.

I used to fly a guy around in his Navajo who had a phone installed next to his seat in the back, which he used to talk to the pilot(s) and could also hear ATC with as well. It was basically an intercom that extended to the rear of the aircraft.

My first trip with him really caught me off guard when he started talking to me shortly after takeoff. It really seemed like he would use the thing at the worst possible times. I finally established a rule with him that said if the seatbelt sign was on, that meant no phone.

If I were you, I would steer your boss away from something like that (if we are talking about the same thing). To me, it was more of a distraction than anything.

Hope that helps.

tell him to get a handheld and a headset that way he can listen to ATC but not yall.

It could be wired up so he only hears radio traffic (recieving and transmitting), but not the intercom. Or, you can install an isolate switch (very recommended) in the cockpit so you can turn him off when you need to talk about "which engine's on fire again?".

One company I work for has all their airplanes wired up like this for aerial survey work.

The Charter/Management company I used to work for had an owner with this set-up in his E90. They were inherently paranoid people anyway - packed a survival kit on every flight, wouldn't fly together, would cancel the flight if it was raining or worse, etc.. Great folks to be around, just weird. I never saw him put the headset on nor did anyone else that flew the airplane but it the jack was there and a headset was stored in the back.

My suggestion is to have a sit-down with the owner and get to the root cause of such an action. Is he uncomfortable with something? Is it a personal trust issue? Is he just plain over-controlling? Tell him that the intra-cockpit communication is a CRITICAL part of a safe flight and knowing that an audience is listening is going to negatively impact the safety of the flight. Relate it to why they don't have family in the OR, you need to stand back and let the pro.'s do their best work.

We told ours(who is also a certificated pilot, but old) that it would be VERY expensive to run a set of jacks back to his seat. Really pricey.

Good luck.

Call a very reputable shop and ask for a quote. Do not say anything and hand it to him. End of subject for 9 out of 10 owners.

Our airplane came deliveried with this option. I do not think that the boss even knows that it is there.

Don't assume that he doesn't trust you. Perhaps it just interests him. Have you noticed that United broadcasts COM1 over their inflight entertainment system? It's for entertainment. My dad loves to listen while he flies. Also the pilots have the ability to turn off that system.

Have you noticed that United broadcasts COM1 over their inflight entertainment system? It's for entertainment. My dad loves to listen while he flies. Also the pilots have the ability to turn off that system.

It can be turned off. Depends on the crew.

Don't assume that he doesn't trust you. Perhaps it just interests him. Have you noticed that United broadcasts COM1 over their inflight entertainment system? It's for entertainment. My dad loves to listen while he flies. Also the pilots have the ability to turn off that system.

In reading the original post it would appear the owner wants to monitor the cockpit conversation not the com frequency, a bit different then what UA does.

My advice is hook it up and then every so often just scream into it OMG LOOK OUT FOR THAT MOUNTAIN, then laugh.

Latest resources

Back